WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Whats over the next hill? Pioneer Spirit's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The described design is very similar to the Hubba where there is little room under the vestibule and a rather useless smaller one on the other with no access from the interior.
    Of course that's my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Buckeye Trail 2,700 miler.

Images

I prefer a roomy tent.........am never going to get fired up over a few ounces.

Great gear is great gear................would rather spend / invest my hard earned money on this hobby that I love

Definitely makes a difference from my viewpoint................lighter gear costs more but to me is important. 53 years old, 36 years of almost daily back pain.

30lbs with food & water works for me.................plus some comfort.

Journal Entries
    Images

That would be too big for me.
    David Smolinski

Images

New Lightheart SoLong is pretty killer..............going out in a few weeks with new gear.

i 1 of my best fiends on the trail used a skyscape trekker, and loved it. 24 oz, and pretty large. i do like my smd lunar soloas well, they seem to make some killer gear.

but, 450 for a tent that is bairly under a pound is not worth it in my mind. if you are dead set on a CF tent, zpacks has some that are sub 10 oz and cost about 300ish. i would invest in 1 of their tents if i wasnt putting money toward a UL hammock setup

Just ordered this tent! Cant wait to get it and when they start shipping the new batch. With this tent my big four including, Marmot Plasma 15 (30 oz), Zpack Arc Blast 52 (16.5 oz), SMD Sky Scape X (15 oz), Therma Rest Neo Air Xlite (12 oz) check in at 73.5 oz or 4.59 lbs. Not too bad. Cant wait to get my 2014 AT Thru hike underway. Total baseweight right now is 10 lbs.

I recently bought a Skyscape X (I may have been one of the last people to buy it from a retailer in the U.S.- I scoured everywhere!). I have 3 nights with it and so far I feel really good about it. On the scale, out of the box, it came in at 15.5oz and with my Vargo Ti Stakes and fitted Tyvek ground cloth, my total weight all inclusive (stuff sacks, etc) is 19.1oz.

As for durability, it feels surprisingly hearty. No less than the TT Moment I have. I'm going to add a few strips of cuben fiber tape to a couple points mentioned in John Abela's article. I'm 6'2" and don't feel cramped in it. I'm using a Prolite 3 small pad with 1/8 GG pad under that. As for leaking or condensation, I haven't really been in an environment that would promote that. It was dry and cool the nights I slept in it with good ventilation. I did do a backyard hose test (not really scientific) with no leakage.

I'm doing a 3 day section in 2 weeks so hopefully I'll get some rain and nasty weather to give it a full workout. I'm considering doing a video review as there are very few videos of the X.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I'm going to add a few strips of cuben fiber tape to a couple points mentioned in John Abela's article.
    Sweet to hear you are enjoying the SMDSX!!

I suppose if you are always going to have the shelter on top of a tyvek ground cloth you probably would not need to add the tape to the bathtub floor.

But, for under one gram of weight, worth the effort in my book.

You should consider going with something lighter weight than tyvek. I love that stuff, crazy tough, but its probably the heaviest type of ground sheet out there.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I recently bought a Skyscape X (I may have been one of the last people to buy it from a retailer in the U.S.- I scoured everywhere!). I have 3 nights with it and so far I feel really good about it. On the scale, out of the box, it came in at 15.5oz and with my Vargo Ti Stakes and fitted Tyvek ground cloth, my total weight all inclusive (stuff sacks, etc) is 19.1oz.

As for durability, it feels surprisingly hearty. No less than the TT Moment I have. I'm going to add a few strips of cuben fiber tape to a couple points mentioned in John Abela's article. I'm 6'2" and don't feel cramped in it. I'm using a Prolite 3 small pad with 1/8 GG pad under that. As for leaking or condensation, I haven't really been in an environment that would promote that. It was dry and cool the nights I slept in it with good ventilation. I did do a backyard hose test (not really scientific) with no leakage.

I'm doing a 3 day section in 2 weeks so hopefully I'll get some rain and nasty weather to give it a full workout. I'm considering doing a video review as there are very few videos of the X.
    Most definetly do a review! Would love to see more video reviews of this tent. I think there's like one out there!

Very nicely researched and done spread sheet Abela! You got me looking closely at the different SUL shelter set ups you list. HARD for me to pull the trigger on a .34 cf shelter for a long distance hike though.

Thank you also Moongodess for all the beta and feisty inspiration.

Nice kit Wmwood2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Abela View Post
    You should consider going with something lighter weight than tyvek. I love that stuff, crazy tough, but its probably the heaviest type of ground sheet out there.
    I got a free sheet of Tyvek with my order but I will most likely shift to a polycro sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Very nicely researched and done spread sheet Abela! You got me looking closely at the different SUL shelter set ups you list. HARD for me to pull the trigger on a .34 cf shelter for a long distance hike though.
    Hey Dogwood,

Great to hear you enjoyed my Solo SUL/XUL Fully Enclosed Shelter Comparison! I also put together a Two-person sub 900 gram fully enclosed shelter comparison.

Suspect I will need to update both of them this winter season when I have a week or so at home with nothing to do... I know the pricing on some of the shelters have changed.

Not knowing your hiking experience, it would be hard to give a yeah or nay on a 0.34 cf shelter being used for a thru-hike. Last I asked around I had more miles than anybody else using a 0.34 cf shelter and I myself have often thought about whether I would be willing to give it a go.

What it really all comes down to is do you have enough experience with 0.34 cf shelters for the sake of 25 grams - the difference between a 0.34 hexamid and a 0.51 hexamid.

IF you have experience with 0.34 cf shelters and feel you have good skills at camp site selection, and are looking to do a SUL thru-hike, then yeah, it could be a nice way to save 25 grams of dead-weight.

It is one of those risk/rewards that I have often thought about, and so far I have not been willing to talk myself into it, even with the large amount of miles I have using a 0.34 cf tarp.

I have been giving the ZPacks Pocket (with netting) a go for a couple of months and I have to be honest and say I have been really (really) loving it. It might be the first 0.34 shelter that I would consider giving a go on a long distance trail. But even with that said, I would not do so until I have another 50+ nights of use with it, just to make sure I understand just how this shelter handles itself. I have used the hexamid a lot, the 0.51 version, but 0.34 is a whole other ball game.

Hard call on this one. I would absolutely not recommend it for anybody that has never spent a good 60+ days on the trail (non long distance, where shelter dependance is the highest) using a 0.34 cuben fiber tarp/shelter. The way it behaves is just so different from how 0.51 does... the attention you have to give it when it comes to high-pressure stress areas is vital to the survival of this fabric. I have seen guys with a lot of experience with 0.51 cf and very little experience with 0.34 destroy a 0.34 tarp on their very first time using it because they failed to understand how different it is from 0.74 or 0.51 cf when it comes to high pressure stress areas. There is a reason ZPacks markets the Pocket as an "emergency shelter".

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't care! Tent folk are going to buy - tis exciting!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I like the way you think Abela. I can see the Zpacks Pocket working for me on some shorter thrus with less abrasive less shelter stress fairer weather conditions. You sound more experienced with SUL CF minimalist sized shelters though. Not that I need justification based on anyone else's abilities but if you aren't willing to roll with a .34 CF on a thru that tells me something about what I'm willing and ready for. Damn right you are, pros/cons risks/rewards to most everything and when you get to being this much of a gram weenie that's not something to ignore.

That Solo SUL spread sheet saved me from doing much work doing the same thing. I'll check out the two man 900 gm fully enclosed shelter comparison. Thx for all the beta. Good stuff. I got you tabbed.

I have the scout version. Same tent just different material and weight I believe. My only beef about the tent is lack of vestibule space. I have to stand my pack up and lean against outside of pole to get it fully covered. It works, just not what I personally like. The vestibule is large enough to cook and whatnot.

Images

Curious; No Bathtub Floor. How do you think this will work in blowing rain??????? Not being critical...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    Curious; No Bathtub Floor. How do you think this will work in blowing rain??????? Not being critical...
    I was concerned about this as well with my shiny new Zpacks Hexamid Solo+ tent, I just used it on this spring's AT section (400 miles from northern VA to mid-NJ). The hexamid sure looks a lot like that Skyscape... Anyway, for the roughly 15 or so nights I used it (other nights in shelters or towns), maybe 4-5 in decent or heavy rains with some winds, it performed very well, kept me perfectly dry and warm enough, even though you do feel some of the wind in the tent. I found myself using my empty pack to block the wind that came in through the well vented tent periphery. If you like this Skyscape, be sure to also check out the Zpacks Hexamid Solo+, 16.0 ounces total including a custom-cut gossamer gear ground sheet, guy lines and cuben stuff sack. $395. YEah, also expensive, but wow, taking 1.5 pounds off my back (vs. my old Big Agnes fly creek) was very welcome. I just pulled the trigger on the Zpacks 30 degree sleeping bag as well.

Just ordered the Skyscape Trekker today. Same design but comes in at 24oz. Would have loved to get the X but I'm really ecited to try out the Trekker.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++