WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I'm happy with the Trekker. I think it's a pretty good weight/price trade off.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I was concerned about this as well with my shiny new Zpacks Hexamid Solo+ tent, I just used it on this spring's AT section (400 miles from northern VA to mid-NJ). The hexamid sure looks a lot like that Skyscape... Anyway, for the roughly 15 or so nights I used it (other nights in shelters or towns), maybe 4-5 in decent or heavy rains with some winds, it performed very well, kept me perfectly dry and warm enough, even though you do feel some of the wind in the tent. I found myself using my empty pack to block the wind that came in through the well vented tent periphery. If you like this Skyscape, be sure to also check out the Zpacks Hexamid Solo+, 16.0 ounces total including a custom-cut gossamer gear ground sheet, guy lines and cuben stuff sack. $395. YEah, also expensive, but wow, taking 1.5 pounds off my back (vs. my old Big Agnes fly creek) was very welcome. I just pulled the trigger on the Zpacks 30 degree sleeping bag as well.
    I think some considering a Zpacks Hexamid have to give some serious consideration and carefully balance ALL their priorities by comparing the Hexamid to Mountain Laurel Designs Solomid and now SoloMid XL too! Wmwood, how's the Six Moon Designs Skyscape X working for you? How many nights in it?

I had the skyscape scout which is basically same tent but different material. The vestibule space was way too small. I finally went with Zpacks duplex which in my opinion is the best single wall tent on the market. Big enough for 2 people with vestibule space for packs, shoes, and whatever else. For 1 person it is a palace. Everyone I met on the trail that had one love it and did not regret the money spent. No complaints and worth every penny. I slept in it 95% of my thru hike and it still has plenty of material life left.

I stay away from shelters requiring 2 trekking poles when hiking solo.

I used a Skyscape Trekker last year, but sold in for a Tarp Tent Notch. I wanted a bigger vestibule and two doors (making the second vestibule more useable. I didn't like the flap tie backs on the Trekker. The Notch uses one less tent stake. I found the horizontal panel on the Trekker sagged too much for my liking (maybe not so much a problem with the CF version or maybe I wasn't pitching well??). Vertical poles on the Notch give more headroom (I think). I found the bath tub floor too shallow on the Trekker. I never used it in the rain, but I worried the floor would not keep out water as well. I suppose mainly I like to buy and try new gear. The grass is always greener, you know?... If I sell after only lightly using it for a few nights I can recoup most of the cost. This makes gear swapping a relatively low-cost past time.

"I stay away from shelters requiring 2 trekking poles when hiking solo"
    You can get substitute poles (same 8.5mm or something poles used on non trekking pole tents) at 2 to 3 oz.
    Small weight penalty if you like the look/performance of a two pole shelter but obviously pointless if you are happy with the one pole solution.
    Nevertheless the option is there.

Journal Entries
    Images

You know what's more expensive? Buying something less expensive and heavier, figuring out it's not right and too heavy, and then buying the expensive thing you should have bought the first time. Sometimes buying the most expensive item is the least expensive path.
    +1
    I have made this mistake before,I actually have the scout version of this tent at 34 ounces weight.
    I like the layout and it is nice but I opted to order the deshutes plus from SMD to save the weight with it coming in at only 16 ounces and almost double the floor space.
    But ill keep the scout for now and use it on my over nighters and etc.

Images

I recently got a Skyscape Trekker but have yet to use it. I have had no prior experience with Sil Nylon and was wondering if a footprint/ground cloth was required? Will water leak through a Sil Nylon floor like an old standard nylon tent? I was hoping to shave a little weight by not carrying a ground cloth. The Trekker specs indicate 40 D Sil Nylon for the floor. I am a section hiker so will not be out for months at a time, 13 day max section this year.

Journal Entries
    Images

I recently got a Skyscape Trekker but have yet to use it. I have had no prior experience with Sil Nylon and was wondering if a footprint/ground cloth was required? Will water leak through a Sil Nylon floor like an old standard nylon tent? I was hoping to shave a little weight by not carrying a ground cloth. The Trekker specs indicate 40 D Sil Nylon for the floor. I am a section hiker so will not be out for months at a time, 13 day max section this year

According to reviews I have read and from SMD you do not need a ground sheet/floor cloth,but IMO I would/am still bringing A piece of tyvek or polycro to put down as a ground sheet.

Images

I agree. I'm trying everywhere possible to cut weight, but giving up the the ground cloth may be going to far if the weather stays really bad. 1 mil. plastic painters is coming in a 2 oz cut to size for the Trekker. I've never used polycro but plan on getting some, as I'm sure it will be lighter/stronger than the 1 mil. plastic. FYI: I have always put the plastic/ground cloth in my tent. I really don't care about the tent, but I care about me. If water leaks through the bottom of a tent, it will not leak through the plastic ground cloth in the tent. I have found that sometimes water will flow, etc. in a heavy storm and could get between the groundcloth under the tent and the tent floor. As you lay on the tent floor, it could leak through the tent floor. I read about doing this in a Field and Stream article in the early 70's. I have never been wet in a tent using this method. However, I have never put Sil Nylon to the test for wear and tear long term using this method/no ground cloth under the tent. With a standard nylon tent I never had and issue with the floor wearing out on a tent. Time will tell with the Sil. Thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

I am looking into the deshutes plus tarp set up now. it is only 16 ounces and just putting a cut piece of tyvek down for my ground

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++