WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Tarptent Double Rainbow User Advice

I am about to purchase a Tarptent Double Rainbow (and a quilt). I see that the Tarptent's website claims that the tent is 50 inches wide. I would like to know whether this has been the experience of people actually using the tent i.e. is it really 50 inches wide?

Part of my questioning follows an experience at REI this afternoon:
    They had on display a REI Quarter Dome 2 Tent which is supposedly 54" wide at the head and 44" wide at the foot. Inside the display-tent, there were two REI Regular size Air Rail 1.5 sleeping pads which are supposedly 23" wide each. Therefore, there should be ample room on both sides of the two mats at the head with over 8 inches of spare room. Now the problem is that the two sleeping pads were both touching the side-wall of the tent... I did not have a ruler but my conclusion is that the tent is not 54" wide at the head as advertised but probably a tad smaller.

So. Given that my partner and I both have a 23" wide sleeping pad, will it be touching the side walls of a Double Rainbow tarptent or will there be at least some clearance on the sides, nominally 2" on each side. (50-23*2)/2

Also, related to this:
    Would you suggest using the Weather Resistant stripes on Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilts?
    In case the Tartent Double Rainbow width is not exactly 50 inches as specified, I might end up touching the sidewalls more often than I wish which may be problematic with a single wall tent.

Any insights appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Minos

Cool

Have you looked at the photos at TarpTent? If you are concerned about the floor width of the Double Rainbow, look at the StratoSpire 2. 3 pads fit snugly. 2 pads would leave room all around.

Wayne

ss2-11.jpg
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Look closely at the photos on their website. You can lose about 4" of width if you raise the floor into the bathtub configuration. My DR is several years old and I really like it, but I do use it solo almost all of the time.

Images

My partner and I used a Double Rainbow for a few years. With the bathtub floor clipped up it was tight inside using two 20-inch pads. Of course they fit, but the overall interior volume is somewhat snug. The sloping side walls made it difficult for both of us to sit up at the same time, and I kept hitting my head on the top of the tent. Overall I really like Tarptents - we've owned a bunch of them - but this one didn't work well for us.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

This is interesting. I did watch the picture on Tarptent website but the bathtub up/down position was not clearly stated and two pads seem to fit. Now I realize that the bathtub was not completely up. Trick. I think this is a major detail that should not be omitted in the description of the tent.

I really like the Double Rainbow design. I wish it was 4 inches wider at the bottom and also 4 inch wider at head level. Great tent, great concept but a bit surface and volume compromised for two I feel...

" Now I realize that the bathtub was not completely up. Trick. I think this is a major detail that should not be omitted in the description of the tent."
    It depends on how you look at it.
    There are photos with the bathtub in the standard mode (as it was till 2010) and that will take 2x 25" mats :
    dr-12 2x 25.jpg
    dr-11 2 25 2.jpg
    now if you want a deeper bathtub you can (post 2010 versions) clip the floor further up but that should not be the standard setting because it also cuts some air flow.
    Of course fans of 10" bathtub floors will disagree and users of florless tents will wonder what is all about...

Thanks for the clarification!

Question along same line but on length. 88" when clipped up. In the rainbow and double rainbow, is there enough room for someone 6'5". I have tried 90 inch tents that wouldn't come close to working. Is the angle of the end walls high enough for tall folks. Keep in mind sleeping pad and long feet in this equation. Thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater slim View Post
    Question along same line but on length. 88" when clipped up. In the rainbow and double rainbow, is there enough room for someone 6'5". I have tried 90 inch tents that wouldn't come close to working. Is the angle of the end walls high enough for tall folks. Keep in mind sleeping pad and long feet in this equation. Thanks.
    I am 6.2 and it seems fine.

Any of you guys actually using the Double Rainbow for two persons.
    I am 6ft and 190lb and partner is 5ft1 and 110lb. Given the great advice I got above, I am wondering if it is wide enough for me. Not looking for a palace, but just want to fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by Minos View Post
    Any of you guys actually using the Double Rainbow for two persons.
    I am 6ft and 190lb and partner is 5ft1 and 110lb. Given the great advice I got above, I am wondering if it is wide enough for me. Not looking for a palace, but just want to fit in.
    And for those couple that had it and moved to something different, what did you get instead?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Minos View Post
    And for those couple that had it and moved to something different, what did you get instead?
    Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo.

It's like going from a cramped studio apartment to a 3-bedroom house. Seriously.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I once had a Tarptent Double Rainbow (wrote about my experience here), but ended up selling it. It wasn't wide enough for two people to sit up comfortably at the same time, and the bathtub floor was very low by the doors (rain and mud came in, unfortunately). I ended up switching to a Zpacks Triplex which is much more comfortable for two. I like the design of the TT Double Rainbow, but I just wish it were a little wider (especially at the top) and also wish the floor came up higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather_VT View Post
    I just wish it were a little wider (especially at the top) and also wish the floor came up higher.
    This seems to be a recurrent comment/ feedback.
    What prevents Henry from stretching the top cross-pole by 10 to 15 in. This would solve the sidewall sloping issue that many complain about?

"What prevents Henry from stretching the top cross-pole by 10 to 15 in. This would solve the sidewall sloping issue that many complain about?"
    It would make the tent heavier and have end up having similar problems in high winds that squarer tent tend to have.

The DR come out in 2016 , since then many thousands have been sold so I would not say that the complaints you read about are "many" compared to numbers sold.

Pretty much every tent design could be modified to please some but in most cases would annoy others , that is why I often mention that in the end we need to choose the best compromise for what we want/need/like, the perfect (universally perfect) tent hasn't come out as yet.
    (not an official TT comment, just the way I see it...)
    franco@tarptent

BTW, here is me inside the Notch.
    Works well for me because as far as I am concerned I have more than enough space and is a great tent for the weight and performance it offers.
    I am 5'8" about 155lbs and have full mobility.
    Now if I were 6'4", 250 lbs I probably would find it small....
    Notch-shoulder-room..jpg
    I took that shot this morning to illustrate that as much as some find lack of shoulder room (many complaints...or not depending of what is many) that is not a problem for me and others like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

The DR come out in 2016 , since then many thousands have been sold so I would not say that the complaints you read about are "many" compared to numbers sold.
    I am not debating this as I am sure this is a great tent and this has been widely reported here and in other forums.

Nevertheless, I would be more interested in the statistics of how many couples / duo hikers are repeat customers of the Double Rainbow or have switched to something else. This would give me a good indication of whether they feel that the head-volume is adequate for two persons.

Problem with Tarptent and many cottage manufacturers is that I cannot go to REI to try it and then purchase it. I have to go by internet feeling and rely on feedback from other users. Hence all my questions! :-)

Minos

We have one. It is marginally wide enough for a normal sized couple. In bad weather there's room for packs inside too, but it's tight.
    We like the tent as long as it's not pouring hard rain. These are not made for that.

Yes for sure.
    In fact even after getting into a tent in a shop sometime people discover, at home later on,that once they get mats and sleeping bags inside the tent is not so big.

here are comments on the DR from 3 different reviewers taken from the Reviews at Trailspace :
    1)Roomy. When I say this tent is roomy, I mean it. I am 6’6”, 230 lbs and it is plenty big enough for me. It’s the first tent that I can lay down in, flat on my back and not have my feet brushing up against the tent wall. The bathtub floor is 50” x 90” – incredibly spacious!
    2) I use it for solo adventures only at this point, but it will sleep my 6'3" hubby quite comfortably too. With a bathtub floor, no rainwater will come in.
    3)I found this tent not quite large enough for me and my backpack. I imagine that for two people it would be tight, so unless you travel with a significant other, why subject each other to your sounds and smells in such close range. Get your own tents — this one's light enough

The guy does disclose that he is used to a Sierra Designs Observatory, 106" L, 72" W, 54" H so yes I would think that most double tents would be very small for him.

Going back to a remark that was made on the first post :
    "Would you suggest using the Weather Resistant stripes on Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilts?
    In case the Tartent Double Rainbow width is not exactly 50 inches as specified, I might end up touching the sidewalls more often than I wish which may be problematic with a single wall tent."
    i find it rather curious that no one (including me...) mentioned that the side walls are the mesh doors not the fabric door panels, therefore even if you do press against them they should not be wet.
    dr-8.jpg
    However I sort of believe in love at first sight when it comes to tents and I do think that many buy a tent because they like the look of it not because of the exact weight or size.
    In other words I believe that people will make a tent they like work for them, so given your many doubts about the DR you might be better off getting another one that you fall in love with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++