WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Inov-8 Roclite 295

Finally got to try a pair on and I'm loving them. Bought a second pair for my thru... curious as to others' experience with these: specifically how many miles you might get out of a pair?

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Images

Have you had any issues with blisters on the outside corner of your heel? I'm not really sure what's causing it, but I think it happens when I step on a rock with the edge of my heel, and it seems to cause the outer edge of the insole to bend inwards and pinch the side of my heel.

Images

I got about 500 miles running and about that much walking/hiking out of my first pair. So 1000 miles total, and they are still usable. My feet start to hurt after 15-20 miles running or a full day hiking on rocky trail; these shoes have very little cushion and nothing like a rock plate. Consequently I leave the 295's home if the terrain is rockyh, and prefer wearing something with a stiffer outsole or rockplate like Saucony Peregrines.

Never had a problem with blisters.

Images

Fwiw, a week ago I did a 24 mile day on these shoes, with 10 miles on the night before and morning after. My feet felt fine other than that blister on the outside of my heel. I'm a heavy guy too. Those were PCT miles though.

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    I got about 500 miles running and about that much walking/hiking out of my first pair. So 1000 miles total, and they are still usable. My feet start to hurt after 15-20 miles running or a full day hiking on rocky trail; these shoes have very little cushion and nothing like a rock plate. Consequently I leave the 295's home if the terrain is rockyh, and prefer wearing something with a stiffer outsole or rockplate like Saucony Peregrines.

Never had a problem with blisters.
    Wow! That's a lot of mileage. I'm glad to hear that since I just bought a pair of Inov-8 Terrocs for my hike. I haven't had a chance to try them out other than around town. They feel great on my feet but I must adamit they don't have nearly the cushion as say the Montrail Masochist.

no blisters, but admittedly i don't get them very easily. good to know i could get near 1000 miles... won't bank on it but we'll see. Did you change out insoles ?

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

The internal structure and support will usually break down before the outside, so its good to replace your shoes before they fall apart. This is more critical for long distance hiking then for normal use. I used roclite 315's on my PCT thru-hike and replaced them every 550-650miles. Only one pair was ready for the trash can (the high sierra with all the snow, water fords, and rocks was rough on them), and all the others I mailed home to use for day hiking. I found them very comfortable with good traction. My only complaint is the toebox is too narrow for long distance hiking (your feet expand on a thru-hike more then shorter backpacking or day hikes) so I found I had to size them and additional 1/2 size up. I don't know if the 295s are wider so your mileage may very. Next time I'm thinking of goind with Terrocs due to their wider toebox.

I replaced mine after maybe 500 miles, but I had a backup pair I was excited to break out. The first ones were worn and torn but could have been used more I suppose. If you are having heel comfort issues, you can steam the heel with a teapot and lace on the shoes. This will soften the heel counter plastic and allow it to mold to your foot. This info is buried somewhere on Inov-8's site.

I just purchased a pair of 319's which are supposed to be a little more sturdy then the 295's (this is just what I've read online). I haven't tried them yet, but hey feel solid and I'm diggin the idea of the sticky rubber grip. I do think they'll take longer to dry as compared to the 295's though. I'll probably hit trail today or tomorrow and let you know what I think. If you google 295 vs 319 there's some interesting reviews and such...I was gonna go for the 295's, but decided on the 319's after some reading...Also, I live and hike in PA; so my main concern is grip on wet rock!

Images

Too early for good Inov8 feedback, but very good luck with a pair of 320's.

You can buy the Terroc (?) 330 in Hot Springs at Bluff Mt.

I hope to get down to the 290's soon.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'm really looking for some feedback on the 319's before I head to Maine in September. They appear to provide a nice balance between light weight, rock/root protection, and stickiness. My Garmont boots were pretty worn when I did the Whites in 2006, slipping a lot on all of the bare rock. I am concerned that they may be too wide for me, or not provide sufficient arch support, but orthotics might address that. I'm also concerned about ordering the right size (I ended up with a size 11.5 in the Garmont Eclipse, and a size 11 in my Montrail Hardrocks, while I wear a size 10 dress shoe).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I'm really looking for some feedback on the 319's before I head to Maine in September. They appear to provide a nice balance between light weight, rock/root protection, and stickiness. My Garmont boots were pretty worn when I did the Whites in 2006, slipping a lot on all of the bare rock. I am concerned that they may be too wide for me, or not provide sufficient arch support, but orthotics might address that. I'm also concerned about ordering the right size (I ended up with a size 11.5 in the Garmont Eclipse, and a size 11 in my Montrail Hardrocks, while I wear a size 10 dress shoe).
    I hiked about 8 miles on Weds and about 10 miles yesterday with a 30lb pack and the new roclite 319's. I've never reviewed products and don't know where to really go with this, but here's some impressions (also, I just started hiking with some soloman 3d XA shoes, so it's kind of a comparison to them). First, the grip is great! I can definitely tell the sticky rubber is where it's at! That being said, it's been dry here so I wasn't able to test them on wet rocks or roots. They didn't seem to overheat my feet, but I think if they got wet they would take longer to dry then other shoes due to the type of uppers. They lack a rigid toebox, so if you stub your toe, you're gonna feel it. Now, they felt as if they have less cushion then the soloman's so I threw a Scholl's insert (the athletic/heavy activity) over the insole already present. I kind of needed to take up volume in the shoe anyways. I have long, skinny feet and they felt a little too roomy (I ordered 13's as this is almost always what I wear). Now, for some negatives. I feel like I have WAY TOO much lateral motion in these shoes. I was hiking some angled ridge-lines and it felt like the whole shoe was at some weird diagonal angulation. I also felt this way when rock scrambling. I twisted up my feet here and there. Now, this could be an issue with fit, but my soloman's don't do this...Also, the laces are horrible in terms of staying tied, I would seriously recommend double-knotting! Maybe that's nit-picking, but I friggin hate having to stop to readjust my laces. So, in short, the grip is awesome, but I'm not sure I'm totally sold on these. I may look into some larger socks and see if taking up more volume seems to make a difference with lateral motion.

Images

Thanks, kidchill. I also have relatively narrow feet, so what you described as excessive lateral motion might be the result of too wide a fit. The lack of a rigid toebox is a concern, as I know I tend to drag my feet a bit towards the end of a long day of hiking, and it will only be worse on my next few section hikes in Maine.
    How would you rate the fit, grip and toe rigidity of the Salomon XA 3Ds?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Thanks, kidchill. I also have relatively narrow feet, so what you described as excessive lateral motion might be the result of too wide a fit. The lack of a rigid toebox is a concern, as I know I tend to drag my feet a bit towards the end of a long day of hiking, and it will only be worse on my next few section hikes in Maine.
    How would you rate the fit, grip and toe rigidity of the Salomon XA 3Ds?
    I think the fit and toe rigidity are better in the Salomon's, but I'm NOT convinced the grip is better. I was hiking a few weekends ago and placed my foot on a wet rock...I basically went to faceplant, but luckily there was moss bed and I was able to save myself by doing a pushup. If the moss wasn't there, I probably would've broken my wrists on rocks...I'm not sure why it's so difficult to find strong gripping shoes???

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    I'm not sure why it's so difficult to find strong gripping shoes???
    I believe a lot of it has to do with longevity. The sticky rubber wears out a lot faster, but it can be really nice on all those big angled boulders in NH & ME.

I kinda think that's BS though...And, here's why. The best gripping boots ever, my Garmount GTX's!! Granted they're made for snow/ice, but those things are sweet for wet rock traction! Never lost footing with them. And, the treads are still fine after many miles. I'm just not very impressed with many of the shoes/boots I've tried, but the garmounts are too big/heavy and too much boot for an AT thru-hike. I don't know, maybe 'cause I'm in PA and wet rock scrambles are my worst enemy; I'm a little biased...

The only thing that bothered me about my Inov8s was that small stones got stuck in the agressive tread. Especially annoying on pavement or entering buildings.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

++ New Posts ++