WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Has anyone altered the size of a pack? large to a small

Someone is giving me a really nice new pack however it is too large for me at this time I cannot spend more $ on another pack I already purchased one that fits but is uncomfortable as hell when packed with 25lb so much for lite gear. I am considering altering the shoulder straps Has anyone done this sucessfully done this I would like some pointers. I have a heavy duty sewing machine just would not want to cut up a new $200 bag and make it worthless.

It really depends on the pack itself, some packs have removable stays, hip belts, and shoulder straps, and some dont. If you arent skilled with a sewing machine I wouldnt replace shoulder straps that arent removable. If you can return the pack then I would do it and buy something for less than 100 dollars there are many quality options.

Quote Originally Posted by birdygal View Post
    Someone is giving me a really nice new pack however it is too large for me at this time I cannot spend more $ on another pack I already purchased one that fits but is uncomfortable as hell when packed with 25lb so much for lite gear. I am considering altering the shoulder straps Has anyone done this sucessfully done this I would like some pointers. I have a heavy duty sewing machine just would not want to cut up a new $200 bag and make it worthless.
    If it doesn't fit, can't be returned, and can't be sold, it's already worthless. Have at it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I recently shortened the torso on an old Mariposa...folded the top of the straps down on the back of the pack, bar tacked the straps down an inch or so below the original attachment at the top of the straps. Seems to work fine, and fit alot better, which has balanced the load between shoulders and hips much better than before.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Ditch the lid and cut off some of the pockets and straps. One of the problems with trying to keep your pack weight down is you've got all these pockets to put crap in...if they are empty you will figure out something to put in there, so I started cutting stuff off my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    I recently shortened the torso on an old Mariposa...folded the top of the straps down on the back of the pack, bar tacked the straps down an inch or so below the original attachment at the top of the straps. Seems to work fine, and fit alot better, which has balanced the load between shoulders and hips much better than before.
    Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for

I am in luck went to an outfitter just to try on some packs and found out I can purchase a smaller harness

Quote Originally Posted by birdygal View Post
    I am in luck went to an outfitter just to try on some packs and found out I can purchase a smaller harness
    Excellent!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

What is a "bar tack?" Or how do you do one?

Images

(technical difficulties)
    Last edited by chiefduffy; 03-28-2012 at 19:31.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by xokie View Post
    What is a "bar tack?" Or how do you do one?

Basically just sew a stitch across a piece of webbing or a narrow piece of fabric, then hit the reverse button and sew backwards on top of the same stitch, and repeat several times. Zigzag stitch works good for this, but straight stitch works fine also. Incidently, I added load lifters and waistbelt pockets to the Mariposa spoken of above, and my wife loves it!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

++ New Posts ++