Default underwear! To wear or not to wear...

What are the best undies for the trail?? I have seen a ton of different kinds; any suggestinos on what to get or what to stay away from?
    --I have also read that people like to go commando? I don't think this is something I'm interested in...but any ideas?

Thanks!

I just wear synthetic undies from target, jc penny's, or wherever I find them in normal shopping. I try to put on clean ones every 1-2 days on the trail to keep fresh and prevent UTIs or other nastiness. For comparison, my shorts get washed about once a week, so having clean undies really helps.

There are some brands that claim anti microbial action and such, but they seem pretty pricey ($20+ a pair). I find that anything thin, light, and synthetic that fits right (doesn't rub) works for me.

I like "Barely There" - I usually get them at Penny's or Bon Ton - our other local dept store.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've been using Barely There brand and like them very much

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

men's silk boxers are nice and handwash easy and dry quick...plus you can wear them as shorts with nothing underneath to keep the private parts aired out.

I'm a fan of men's fitted boxer briefs. I get the shorter ones that come down just below the top of my thighs. No chafing and they double as shorts or swim bottoms.

Here's my question...do you carry different underwear for that special monthly gift?
    -Tammy (a-ka) <><

Will Turner
    : This is either madness or brilliance.
    Captian Jack Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide.
    (POTC - The Curse of the Black Pearl)

Journal Entries

I wear Barely There because they are so lightweight and easy to clean. I go downstream each evening, wash out my underwear, use it as a washcloth, then hang it to dry while I wear my other clean pair. I alternate just two pairs, and it works great.

Have you tried Ex-officio? They are VERY comfy and dry so fast. I dont even know how people can go commando without pants rubbing.

Journal Entries

Yes, I have a pair of Ex-officio, but I like Barely There better. Ex-officio takes longer to dry. I agree with you, jjimen16, that going commando is uncomfortable...especially if you wear a skirt, which I do. Try sitting on a log in a skirt, having lunch with a bunch of guys, going commando. I was in that situation and, after much leg crossing, I decided commando was not for me.

Images

I have exofficio...2 pair. They do take a while to dry, but I wash them each night and hang them on my pack while I'm walking. I go commando at night. I also bring some panty liners. Light and not a big deal to pack out. I have an IUD, so the monthly isn't a big deal, panty liners work fine. If I didn't have an IUD, I'd continue the bc if I were going on a long distance hike to rule out a period.

I use of Ex-officio and carry liners. Most of the time I can get away without washing them for 2 days or so with the liners.

++ New Posts ++