WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Colorado Trail Handbook

It's finally finished! "Yogi's Colorado Trail Handbook" is now available. Similar to my PCT and CDT Handbooks, this Colorado Trail Handbook is a two-part book: a Planning Guide plus a Town Guide. Several previous CT hikers contributed their thoughts about many topics, ranging from general hiking topics to CT-specific topics. It's fresh off the presses and ready for you. Info is here: www.pcthandbook.com

Yogi

Quote Originally Posted by yogi View Post
    It's finally finished! "Yogi's Colorado Trail Handbook" is now available. Similar to my PCT and CDT Handbooks, this Colorado Trail Handbook is a two-part book: a Planning Guide plus a Town Guide. Several previous CT hikers contributed their thoughts about many topics, ranging from general hiking topics to CT-specific topics. It's fresh off the presses and ready for you. Info is here: www.pcthandbook.com

Yogi
    Ah, you're 1 year too late.

lol. better than never

Not too late for me! Thanks for creating this, Yogi; I'm finding it very helpful (along with Mag's great webpage on the trail).

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moongoddess View Post
    Not too late for me! Thanks for creating this, Yogi; I'm finding it very helpful (along with Mag's great webpage on the trail).
    Yogi does good work. If you are new to long hikes, here guide is esp useful!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I completed my fifth thru hike of the CT with my brother in 2007. We accomplished a couple of volunteer jobs along the way. We added about 350 trail markers to make the trail as easy to follow in reverse as it is going the other way, and we interviewed every hiker we met to gather information for The Colorado Trail Foundation. Most were going the other way towards Durango, so this was a good way to gather data. We ran into a number of experienced long distance hikers, including several triple crowners along the way and the one comment I heard frequently was that there wasn't much information about re-supply, towns, lodging and data such as that. Since the CT is almost entirely a volunteer driven trail, and there were lots of other things to worry about, putting the energy into that sort of publication had always been low on the list of priorities.

I am really happy now to learn that we will never have to do it. Yogi's guide does it in an extraordinarily thorough fashion. I recently obtained a copy of her new CT set and all I can say is wow! Just what was needed. Everything you need to know about food, lodging, re-supply is in the smaller book, and the planning book is also excellent. Many CT hikers are new to thru-hiking and this is their first long walk. It will undoubtedly help a lot of folks figure out how to prepare for, and have a great experience on the CT. Thank you Yogi!

BTW, the current President of the CTF board of directors hiked the trail in reverse last year and did the same sort of user survey - talked to hikers about their experiences. It's important for those who manage the CT for hikers to have a great time.

Please remember when you hike the trail that it is maintained by a huge group of dedicated volunteers and friends and financed by contributions from users such as yourselves.

Images

If I knew she would become a rich & famous hiker I would have made her buy dinner in Sierra City! Thank you Yogi for making a whole lot of hikers lives easier!

I'm hiking the CT this summer, just ordered CT Handbook!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

I just ordered it - still not sure if I'm doing the CT in July but it is a strong possibility

Images

Yogi's books are excellent!
    IAT '03, AT '04, PCT '06, CDT '07, CT '08, PCT '09, AT '10, CDT '12, AZT and PCT '13

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Just received my copy of Yogi's book today as well. Bear Creek (as usual!) is spot on his assessment of the book.

Perfect for planning and helping out people new to the experience of a long hike.

Definitely complements the info out there and fills a niche may people have been wishing for.

Good job!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Yogi's books are very well made and informative, I'm hiking the CT this summer and Yogi's books along with the CT's data book will prepare anyone for their CT hike! The handbook also has a lot of helpful tips for long distance hiking, especially for newer folks to long distance hiking. As a former Colorado resident living in the flatlands of Northern Illinois, I can't wait to get back to the CT and drink some that filtered cow water!!!!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

It is no longer available??????

I don't see it on the website anymore ... that's too bad if it is out of print. I found it very useful on my CT thru hike last year.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I just received a update from Yogi on this. She is revising the book and hopes to have it out in time this season.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 03-08-2015 at 19:12.

++ New Posts ++