Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Default iPhone charge with PowerTrekk hydrogen fuel cell?

    Looking for the best way to charge my iPhone on the Appalachian Trail.

    Photography, Journal, Map, and Books.

    Battery backups offer 1-2 charges before getting heavy. Do not want to carry a brick plug to charge a brick battery.

    Would like to read iBooks on phone every evening.

    Has anyone used hydrogen fuel cells on the Appalachian Trail?

    Example:
    http://www.powertrekk.com/

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-29-2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Tiberious View Post
    Looking for the best way to charge my iPhone on the Appalachian Trail.

    Photography, Journal, Map, and Books.

    Battery backups offer 1-2 charges before getting heavy. Do not want to carry a brick plug to charge a brick battery.

    Would like to read iBooks on phone every evening.

    Has anyone used hydrogen fuel cells on the Appalachian Trail?

    Example:
    http://www.powertrekk.com/

    A: It retails for $230
    B: It weighs 8.6 oz
    C: Each charge takes a one time use "powerpuck", which you would also have to carry at 1.2 oz each. And dispose of.
    D: The "powerpucks" cost $4 each.

    It's a cute toy, but not practical for a thru hike.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-15-2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    3,945

    Default

    I'm working on a way to charge cell phones using Snicker Bars. Problem is they never last long enough during the testing phase.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-31-2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,276
    Images
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    It's a cute toy, but not practical for a thru hike.
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I'm working on a way to charge cell phones using Snicker Bars. Problem is they never last long enough during the testing phase.
    If there was a way to conveniently capture and utilize methane or hiker funk in general, I'd be able to provide power for the herd.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •