WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Seasonal Allergies

I'm looking to thru hike (NOBO) this year and am wondering what others have done about seasonal allergies. I am guessing I'm going to end up following the blooming season up North and am really worried that my allergies will keep me down. Any thoughts?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Interesting that I always get season allergies (spring and fall) at home but when I was on the trail I didn't have a problem with them. I don't know why but maybe from being outdoors constantly I became resistant to them. I wasn't long after I came home in September that they started again. Seems I need to hit the trail again for health reasons
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I get seasonal allergies really bad, always have, but I've stopped taking antihistamines, it's part of my war on the pharmacutical industry. I get them really bad, to the point where sneezing hurts various parts of my body. But I seem to be somewhat addicted to sneezing, in a strange way, and it also seems like my first seasonal allergy attack always leads to a "cold", that's weird; it's as if my allergy symptoms morph into actual "cold" symptoms.

But I've found that I can control it pretty good when I put my mind to it and another interesting thing is that if I'm doing an aerobic activity the symptoms go away completely. No matter how bad an attack is, if I get my HR up the symptoms go away, no effort on my part, I think there's something about the breathing.

The only allergy sympton I get is a bad headache, I take clariton for it. Strange thing is I never had a problem with allergies till I quit smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Interesting that I always get season allergies (spring and fall) at home but when I was on the trail I didn't have a problem with them. ....
    1+ on that.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Peeper, I would suggest carrying some OTC allergy medication. You might not need it, seems that there is something too being outdoors and active reducing allergies. Also if needed, you can pick up meds at any town stop.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Fascinating. I find that when I go outside during allergy season I start coughing uncontrollably. I have never been outside for the entirety of allergy season.

Now I'm torn whether to start allergy medication since I'll be on a through hike.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Nasalcrom stops mast cell production / reaction (?) and therefore sneezing for me - since no antihistamines work for me, it's about all I have left.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Fascinating. I find that when I go outside during allergy season I start coughing uncontrollably. I have never been outside for the entirety of allergy season.

Now I'm torn whether to start allergy medication since I'll be on a through hike.
    When you starting?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    ....and another interesting thing is that if I'm doing an aerobic activity the symptoms go away completely. No matter how bad an attack is, if I get my HR up the symptoms go away, no effort on my part, I think there's something about the breathing.
    What? No one else has observed this?

Journal Entries
    Images

Bring some meds with you. The pollen blooming realy bothered me on both of my spring hiks down south.
    Grampie-N->2001

++ New Posts ++