WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Primaloft vs. Climashield for quilt

I'm getting ready to make my first quilt and was hoping to get some feedback on insulation. I may go with down but after buying a jacket with Primaloft I'm wondering if Primaloft would be a good choice. I'm also considering Climashield. Any thoughts concerning weight or compressability?

Images

I don't see why you'd make a quilt and not use down. You'd lose weight and compressability going synthetic...

Journal Entries
    Images

I have often thought that one can take the cheepy $100 down mountain bag from Dick's Sporting Goods and run a large zip up the back making an Elephant foot and Quilt - if it got cold - zip it up.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    I don't see why you'd make a quilt and not use down. You'd lose weight and compressability going synthetic...
    Because he said it's his first quilt.

Images

Which Primaloft?

Primaloft has to be quilted. Climashield does not. Climashield is also warmer per ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    For the same reason you might want a synthetic bag instead of a down one. I'm considering buying a quilt for summer use. I plan on using it during the month of June down in Virginia, where it is often quite humid. My first thought was down, but now I find I can buy a synthetic one from Mountian lural designs which is 17 oz vs 16 oz for the down. Except now I'm thinking maybe all I need is a microfleece blanket. It would be a little bulky, but a heck of a lot cheaper then the other two choices. -- sorry for the thread drift...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Because he said it's his first quilt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    For the same reason you might want a synthetic bag instead of a down one. I'm considering buying a quilt for summer use. I plan on using it during the month of June down in Virginia, where it is often quite humid. My first thought was down, but now I find I can buy a synthetic one from Mountian lural designs which is 17 oz vs 16 oz for the down. Except now I'm thinking maybe all I need is a microfleece blanket. It would be a little bulky, but a heck of a lot cheaper then the other two choices. -- sorry for the thread drift...
    Excellent points. My bad!

I just sort of got stuck in the mindset that quilts are for the purposes of being as light/compressible as possible. Didn't think about the humidity factor, or the fact that learning to make quilts is a process and filling a first one with down probably isn't the best idea financially.

:facepalm:

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

This post raises a good point. The warmer the weather, the less difference there is in the weight of a down filled vs. synthetic filled sleeping bag or quilt. Down needs to be stabilized by baffling or quilting. Synthetics made in batts like Climashield (the "new" Polarguard) do not, so there is less total nylon fabric needed for a quilt.
    In addition, for do-it-yourselfers, a very light hammock underquilt could be made of Climashield because, theoretically, it would only need the bottom shell to work, since the hammock, essentially, would function as the "top" shell.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Yeah, I think I'll save playing with down for when I have a better idea of what I'm doing. Primaloft One is what I was looking at, but it looks like it would require quite a bit of quilting. I think I'm starting to lean towards Climashield. Thanks for the input!

Go with Climashield for now. Very easy to make.
    Just cut everything out, stack it up sew around the edges and flip it outside out.
    Definitely use M90 or M55 fabric. Nice stuff.
    First one will probably take 4-5 hours including a pattern.
    If you need a PDF layout PM me.

I just made part of my 3rd quilt. 1st was a test with cheap materials.
    2nd was an ultra light M90/2.5 xp at 12.8 oz with a drawstring foot box but its very small.

This one I am doing different, IE Large and wide with a large footbox.
    Will have a M90 cover with climashield inserts I can swap out.

The inserts are 5MM silk over the Climashield.
    5MM silk weighs about .5-.6 oz per SY. Very thin and a pain to work with.
    Each silk shell adds about 3oz - 3.5 oz and probably a very small amount of warmth.

Basically each inner is an entire quilt only silk covered that will go inside the M90 outer cover.
    Still working on how to attach it though.
    Just this morning I made a 5oz climashield Apex silk covered inner and it weighs 18 oz even.
    The M90 cover will weigh about 7 oz so about 25 oz total.

Will have 3-4 inserts

Probably will have a
    2.5 oz insert 50dF
    3.3 oz insert 40dF
    5 oz insert 30dF
    3.3oz + 5oz inserts 10-15dF

That way I can mix and match.
    2.5 oz for summer although I am contemplating maybe using a thinner insulation.
    Stuff in a 3.3oz and a 5oz insert and good to 10dF or so or just use the 3.3oz insert at 60-70dF.

Could also make a insultex inner which I might experiment with since I have some.
    Also I can use them like they are just silk covered if I want although that fabric is way thin.

I figure the 2.5 oz quilt with shell will weigh about 18 oz, the 3.3 oz about 21 oz, and the 3.3+5oz about 38oz.

You could just make 2 quilts with M55 or M90 and stack them but I thought I would try this.
    Its a lot of sewing, but not really that hard.

I have worked with down and it is a pain, but not rocket science or anything. Just more tedious than a climashield quilt.

Everybody says down down down, and I do like down especially bags. Had a golite ultra 20 that was really nice too.
    Synthetic sleeping bags are ridiculous as far as weight, but climashield quilts are a different story IMO. They
    are not that much heavier than a down quilt but are bulkier. About like 550 down weight to warmth.

There is a good review on a climashield quilt over at BPL. He used a climashield quilt on an AT thru and could not have been happier.
    I believe he uses down bags/quilts most of the time out west. His quilt was a M90 shell and I am pretty sure the insulation is 5oz XP from MLD, IE their 30dF Spirit quilt. Weighed 19oz or so.

Here is his review of his spirit quilt on the AT.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...%20Bags&cid=38

You might be interested in his gear list. Its a good one
    http://postholer.com/journal/viewGea...a&event_id=801

++ New Posts ++