WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Moccasins-Best foot wear...for me.

For years I used light trail runners, but tried these in the desert a month ago. I haven't hiked without them yet. Most likely will be used on dry hikes as they wet through a bit on snow

-RB

Interesting...my feet are too tender to wear something without a sole.

I think it's a good idea.
    More suited to western trails but, the rocky AT could be hiked (with care) in those I believe.
    Obviously the Barefoot Sisters did it with much less so...........

I would think the bottoms of your feet are gonna get sore.
    What kind of mileage were you doing in them?
    They look pretty new.

My running shoes aren't much more than that although they have a thin sole that gives some tread (friction) and protection from the sharp pointy ones.

Good luck.
    let's see them after you make it to Damascus.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I beleive those shoes and you wearing them for a thru is an acedent waiting to happen, in so many different ways. On the other hand they will make a comfy camp shoe.

Garlic
    Images

Let me know how it feels when you step on a cholla! Just kidding. Those are one step away from barefoot, which has been done for ages, and by the time they're worn out, the soles of your feet will be just as tough as the moc leather, and you won't need them anymore. It sounds like a great idea to walk more naturally, which is the whole argument for trail shoes vs boots.

You don't see too many minimalist shoes in the AZ desert. My friend tried Five Fingers once. Cholla bombs are just too numerous. I've had them penetrate my trail runners. Nasty things. I guess you don't have them where you hike.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

The pair weighs about 12 ounces. Every now and then a sharprock (like the thousands in the Nevada desert) gets stepped on I feel a little pressure.A girl I hike with started out wearing moccasins the same day I did and we didabout 3 day hikes in a row (only 8 miles rt) and she had some sore feet wherethe rocks gave her a thumping. I didn’t have any sore spots on the bottoms orsore anything. I do hike a lot more than her and we have both been usingrunning shoes for hiking for about 5 years now, which was good training formoccasins. I think all the years hiking in trail runners on every type ofterrain (steep mountains, desert, and jungle) have allowed me to strengthen myankles. It is true, after a few weeks the tendons and muscles know what theirlob is. Moccasins are one above going barefoot, but more protected being thatthere is a thick piece of leather between the foot and terrain. There are a lotof runners who do marathons wearing moccasins and the fastest runners in theworld train barefoot in Kenya. When I got m first pair, there was a new leathertype of texture on the bottoms, and that was great for gripping rocks when rockscrambling and bouldering in the desert. After a few hikes the bottoms got asmooth hard surface and are till this day tough. Moccasins help me walksmoother and softer (if that makes any sense) and better yet, quieter. Thelatter is more important as I love to catch a glimpse of wildlife. I tend tobreak fewer sticks which is noisy, now I can roll over them with lessdisturbance. Crossing logs like a cat is also easier because moccasins are likegloves on hands, easier to feel the trail, logs, and unsteady rocks. I think itis much easier to feel those lose rocks and bad steps, making it easier tocorrect. Try that with a boot. I have heard that a person can swim with moccasinsas if they were barefoot too. That is why I wear them in a canoe. Hey if theyare good enough for the Indians---I’m in!

I just realized how some of my words are strewn together when I write in WORD and transfer over to the thread. Strange.

-RB

Hmmm, wonder how they'll do when you reach Ver-Mud?

Default shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Bear the Dog View Post
    Hey if they are good enough for the Indians---I’m in!
    Depends on what tribe you are from.
    You are wearing East Coast Woodland Mocs.....Nothing wrong with that but no way would they last out west.
    This is traditional Navajo ....great for the desert and rocks etc.....high-top keeps the sand out....sole is made from 1/4"+ skin.
    Put a knife to the bottom of your shoe and these and report back!
    Attachment 0Navajo_No_Button_Moccasins.jpg
    This is the Tarahumara style made from old tires....the sole that is. FYI you can not make them from today's tires because of the steel belts, but rather use old wheelbarrow or riding lawnmower tires etc. if you are interested in making a pair.
    tarahumara.jpg

Seems kinda harsh walking on the rocks in the pics with no sole. Watch out for cacti. Yeah I am sure native cultures have used them for years but just because you can doesnt mean you should. If the native americans had the choice between these at 12 oz and Inov-8 at 16 oz which would they choose?

Even way back when I wore boots, I avoided stepping on cacti.Later, when I used running shoes for everything I also avoided cacti. Now withmoccasins, I will still avoid them. The same goes for knife attacks!
    Like I said, it works for me. Maybe not all agree, but I wanted to share.

-RB

Cacti grow in warm dry climates right?

I just realized how some of my words are strewn together when I write in WORD and transfer over to the thread. Strange.

-RB
    That's why I double space a lot of my posts.

Good luck with the mocs. I hope they work for you. I need more cushion.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    That's why I double space a lot of my posts.

Good luck with the mocs. I hope they work for you. I need more cushion.
    Never happened to me before.

-RB

Images

On the AT those would be fine until they got soaked. They will stay wet a very long time, and the leather will streeetch at the stress points. Then when they finally dry they will shrink in the non-stressed areas and get rock hard in the stretched areas. Nice idea tho....
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    On the AT those would be fine until they got soaked. They will stay wet a very long time, and the leather will streeetch at the stress points. Then when they finally dry they will shrink in the non-stressed areas and get rock hard in the stretched areas. Nice idea tho....
    Good thing for me I plan on using them on dry hikes and in the desert. They do get pretty wet hiking on snow. Not to forget, at home they make good slippers and good for the backyard.

-RB

now that brings back memories...as a kid I wore mocs all the time roaming around the woods, swimming in the gravel pits, climbing trees, wandering in caves...I rubbed them down really good with melted lard (I know yuck, yuck, yuck) but it kept them fairly waterproof. Maybe I should try it again...love barefoot hiking too!

Quote Originally Posted by dink View Post
    now that brings back memories...as a kid I wore mocs all the time roaming around the woods, swimming in the gravel pits, climbing trees, wandering in caves...I rubbed them down really good with melted lard (I know yuck, yuck, yuck) but it kept them fairly waterproof. Maybe I should try it again...love barefoot hiking too!
    That sounds cool. Do you have any pictures of them?

-RB

That sounds cool. Do you have any pictures of them?

-RB
    what...the mocs or my feet
    I don't have pics of the mocs...back in the dark ages people didn't take "frivolous" photos of crazy children running around in inapropriate footwear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dink View Post
    now that brings back memories...as a kid I wore mocs all the time roaming around the woods, swimming in the gravel pits, climbing trees, wandering in caves...
    I did too! There was some kind of boot dressing that came in a can....was probably lard based! I remember it turned the leather really dark, and it smelled bad. But the mocs were almost indestuctable as long as I kept them greased up on the outside.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++