WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by parkinson1963 View Post
    I believe the stuff you are talking about is Dubbin, made from pig lard, bees wax and something else. Works great, not sure you can still get it.
    Moccasins treated with that would have to go in your bear can in Georgia.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Good discussion. I was almost set on some leather moccasins with Vibram soles but the leather drying/hardening problem has made me reconsider.

I've made and worn many pairs of moccasins over the years and would never consider them for backpacking as they as SLICK. No vibram soles for the Cherokee. Here are some I made when I lived in my tipi---

This pair uses a moccasin toe design in lazy stitch beadwork and all my mocs are in the Flathead/Salish design style.

This pair uses loomwork beads with a side lazy stitch. This one has a hard rawhide Latigo style sole.

Another Salish soft sole with side lazy stitch beadwork.

These are hard sole Salish with simple lazy stitch and high top rabbit hide wrap-arounds.

Sort of high tops with a lazy stitch medicine wheel.

A final pic of some various others, all using loom beadwork. All these have hard soles.

Impressive!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I tried moccasins as camp shoes, many years ago. They got wet and stayed wet. They were sent home.

Tipi - wow, nice work! It looks like those took quite a bit of time and skill to craft.

Images

I've had mocassins made from deer leather (pretty flimsy) and really durable ones made from either Elk or Caribou (don't remember). Walking on small stones with either hurt my tender feet.

You could always glue a sole to the bottom.

I've used snow seal on leather boots and it kept them in pretty good shape in the wet or snow, should work on mocs.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    I tried moccasins as camp shoes, many years ago. They got wet and stayed wet. They were sent home.
    I thought you were supposed to line them with moss to dry them out. Seriously
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I tried several styles of moccasins and kept comping back to moccasins with soles. Heavy! And yes leather mocs will absorb water somewhat. I found the soled version gave by aching feet a needed break overnight so I lived with the weight. Also tried flip flops. Weight wise probably best choice but I felt better if my feet were enclosed. As always YRMV.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I thought you were supposed to line them with moss to dry them out. Seriously
    Here's another Indian trick---using big mullein leaves to line your hiking boots as insoles---adding comfort. They used them in their mocs.

Images

The moccasins I owned didn't have soles, so when the leather bottoms got wet it was like walking on slippery grease. I finally had to put them up before I had a really bad fall. As long as they were dry they were great.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++