WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Knee Wraps

Default Knee Wraps

Looking at AT pictures and u tube videos I’ve noticed a lot of hikers wearing Knee Wraps.
    Can these be purchased at the towns the trail goes through or should I buy them now and pack them just in case ?

Pack an Ace Bandage for "just in case". If "just in case" becomes reality you can use the Ace until you find something better or more permanent. I'm wearing a neoprene knee support right now. I bought it at the local drug store. It helps to stabilize the knee a bit.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I picked up a couple of Cho-Pat knee braces. I'm a big guy with a desk job, so I'm not in optimal shape (at all). I can say I have less/no knee pain during or after a hike when I wear them. They are kinda hot.
    GA 80-Miler

https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/...roduct_type=10

+1 for Cho Pat. I have a couple of them.

Images

You can find them in trail towns every where. You'll do better for your knees if you don't pack anything "just in case" the reduced weight will save your knees.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

My knee brace cost me $140. Its designed to keep my knee cap from moving. I love it!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Don't bring a Cho-pat unless you have a problem today. An Ace Bandage is a nice compromise, but you best bet is to start slowly (both pace and daily mileage), building up slowly over the first month until you hit your stride. If you're in reasonable shape at the start, then I'm sure you will feel as if you will be able to crank out 20-milers within a week or two. However, it's unlikely that your joints and ligaments will be up to that level of sustained abuse so quickly. If you are serious about completing your thru-hike, then don't get caught up with the crowd...keep to a very comfortable pace well below your initial fitness level; take breaks throughout the day; limit your mileage to a level where you're not totally beat; and grow that mileage by 10% or so (others please chime in) each week. So, you might start at 10 miles per day the first week, and bump the daily average up by a mile or two each week. I would hope that by the time you get to Hot Springs you'll be ready to crank up the mileage to something that feels right for you.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Do you have something wrong with your knee? If not, you don't need a wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Do you have something wrong with your knee? If not, you don't need a wrap.
    My knees will hurt from time to time. I've been working out for the last 6 months to get ready for my hike but I've only got one shot at this trip and dont want it to be cut short due to a knee injury. I'm 61 and a big guy, too many year flying a desk.
    Thanks to all for the info.

Cho-Pat saved my hiking career. Well not actually a career but you get the idea.

Images

My first section hike ended at Woody Gap when the Hiker Hostel picked me up. I couldn't even bend either knee. I never had knee trouble until the end of my first day on the AT. While I was at the Hiker Hostel, I met an older guy that introduced me to Cho-Pat straps. The difference was amazing and instant. I went back the following year with poles, a new attitude (it's not a race), and two Cho-Pat straps. The results wer much more pleasing (even though it rained... every day).

Images

Another +1 for Chopat, though I find that after my leg muscles strengthen up (say after about 1000 miles), I no longer notice any difference by wearing them.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BFI View Post
    My knees will hurt from time to time. I've been working out for the last 6 months to get ready for my hike but I've only got one shot at this trip and dont want it to be cut short due to a knee injury. I'm 61 and a big guy, too many year flying a desk.
    Thanks to all for the info.
    I just turned....nevermind - I am on my third prescription BP med.... the pain with the first two was exquisite. Now I am just down to knee pain... after careful discussion - its is the meds. Consult a doc.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I started with them and wore to WV. From overwhelming experience, if you think you might have a knee issue, start with them, especially in GA.. There, your pack will be heavy and the ups and DOWNS can kill ya'.

Journal Entries

would the hiker's shop at neel's gap have any knee wraps, like you find at the drug store...... the folks who have been thru there?
    eveready

stay light and sneakers

I would say definitely purchase a knee wrap of some sort. I would also suggest a few wrist braces in case something happens. Check out your local medical supplies store. Goes without saying but you need your hands and legs to hike!

Quote Originally Posted by daine.scott View Post
    I would say definitely purchase a knee wrap of some sort. I would also suggest a few wrist braces in case something happens. Check out your local medical supplies store. Goes without saying but you need your hands and legs to hike!
    Only wear knee wraps if you need them before you start. Otherwise just carry an ace bandage just in case, it'll cover your knees, wrists, elbows, and anything else you might injure. I remember reading that wearing knee braces when you don't have knee problems actually weakens your knees because they get used to the support so avoid wearing them unless you're actually having knee problems. It was a big problem with skiers for awhile wearing braces hoping to prevent injuries.

I slightly injured my right when I fell snow skiing 10 years ago. I have never skied again but have hiked around 1000 miles since then. Regardless of terrain, if I do not wear a brace, my knee is hurting after about a mile. With a brace, I have hiked 20 miles in one day many times without pain. It amazing how something as simple as a neoprene brace can eliminate all that pain. Unless you have had a prior injury, it would be impossible to predict if you will have knee pain. I would go without, do everything to keep you weight as low as possible, remember ounces add up to pounds and pounds add stress to you feet, ankles, knees, hips.

I take a Muller Knee wrap just in case. However as mentioned above, I don't wear it normally. If you wear it all the time, it will prevent your knee from getting stronger. I like this muller because I can add compression to my entire knee. While hiking, I have had "runners knee" (knee cap) and LT band problems and this band can help with both. Compression and IB will help keep swelling down. Usually, by the time you have knee pain, it is time to rest for a day or so.

That said, there are a lot different knee problems and all sorts of braces. Best to talk to your doctor about your particular problem befor you head out. There are a lot of PT exercises that you can do to strengthen your knees before you head out. Best to prevent problems and the need for a brace at all.

As mentioned above, an Ace bandage is still a lightweight thing to just toss in anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++