WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lasiks

Images

Default Lasiks

Has anyone had the surgery? I go Tuesday to find out if I'm a candidate. My valentines gift to myself
    Just curious to know what the recovery period is, and if you had to hold off backpacking/camping for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Has anyone had the surgery? I go Tuesday to find out if I'm a candidate. My valentines gift to myself
    Just curious to know what the recovery period is, and if you had to hold off backpacking/camping for a few weeks.
    i am going for my consult on Wednesday of this week. I have done a lot of research and had two siblings that have had it done and it seems that the recovery is quite quick if you are getting the all laser blade less version. I have been told I will be back in the office in the 24 to 48 hours with great vision and possible side effects of dry eyes for a couple of weeks. Obviously anything can happen, but from what I have been told from those that have had the procedure, it was a piece of cake and they would definitely recommend it. Good Luck and congrats on the gift to yourself - 1-8T

My son-in-law went from near legally blind to still needing a heavy-duty prescription for 20/20 vision. He had an early version of the procedure, and his doctor recently recommended that he go back for the newer technique to further improve his eyesight.

Images

I had it many years ago and the ability to see clearly is almost instantaneous. However, I had to wear eye protection at night to make sure I didn't rub my eyes, I think that was for a week or so. I wouldn't want to do anything strenuous that might have a risk of getting poked in the eye for a couple of weeks. Basically they cut off the surface of your eyeball and then flip it back, so like any cut it will take some time to fully reattach.

Images

My dad was told he would have to wear glasses if he had lasiks. He is both farsighted and nearsighted.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have no idea - but ask Tiger Woods who did it a little while ago...(my way of saying its low risk)
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

well, if its good enough for tiger, then it must be good enough for the rest of us! LOL

My husband had it 4 years ago. Prior to the surgery, I could stick my tongue out at him and whip him the bird from across the room without him realizing what what I was doing. He couldn't see a clock across the room, and always wore his glasses - even to go to the bathroom during the night. Immediately after surgery, he sat up from the operating table and looked across the room, exclaiming that he could read the time on the clock on the wall.

Have the surgery!

I had LASIK in 2000. I was severely near-sighted with a prescription of -9.25. Back then, at least, they tended to overcorrect because most people regressed, so I came out of surgery slightly far-sighted. A few weeks later, they did what they call an "enhancement" and I call a "correction" and 12 years later I remain 20-20 in one eye and 20-15 in the other. Compared to wearing contacts or glasses on the trail, it is a tremendous blessing. Heck, just seeing the clock at night is great! What I didn't realize is that the distortion from lenses had affected my depth perception The next day I was in the grocery and thought, "My the cans of soup are large!" I was seeing things smaller than they are and my brain treated them as at a greater distance. I don't fall down nearly as much on the trail now! Having LASIK was probably the greatest thing I've ever done for myself!

A buddy of mine just had it with great results. I will be seeing soon if I'm a candidate due to a possible career change to criminal justice.

Images

I so excited! I'm a bit nervous about the actual procedure but everyone says its painless.

Most people complain about the speculum and the instrument used to incise the cornea (lots of pressure and loss of vision) but no pain, vision correction is instant, blurry but instant, keep you meds in the fridge (not freezer) post op cool drops feel better, keep you eyes closed as much as poss during the first 24 hours to minimise your cornea drying out and becoming inflamed. Biggest issue to whether you are a candidate or not is the thickness of your cornea. Good luck

Any older folks have it? I'm really worried about my near vision if I would consider it. I read a LOT, and sew and quilt. I already use 2.5 reading glasses at night (my near vision varies during the day, but it's always bad at night), but it would be lovely to have great vision for the hike.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Lasik doesn't fix presbyopia (need for cheaters after 40) but mono vision maybe something to try (with contacts first though)

If you're ever planning to do mountaineering at major altitude (like K2), you might want to find out more about the effects. They say that Lasik is much better than the radial keratomy, which can cause you to start losing the vision correction before you hit 10,000 feet.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Monovision worked for me, although lately I have started using reading glasses. I wouldn't call it pain free, and don't be surprised if you don't jump up and see well. My doc told me I wouldn't see well untill the next day. My eyes hurt after the surgery, called the doc, he said that's why he sent me home with pain pills. Take 2 and go back to sleeep. Had to sleep with eye protectors for 2 weeks. Probably had a period of 6 months where it would go out of sharp focus for short periods of time, but haven't noticed that for a long time. Doc set my closeup eye for computer screen distance, and it worked. Can't see anything closer well at all. Had it done in 2004.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I did it several months before my thru-hike. It was the best money I spent to prep for the hike. The only downside that I've had is when I drive, the higher glare from oncoming traffic is worse than before the hike. I did alot of research on the doctors in my area and paid more to make sure I had the best I could afford.

Images

I'm having my surgery Thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I'm having my surgery Thursday!
    Holy crap that is a fast turn around. Didn't you just have the consult today? I have my consult tomorrow and if they offer me surgery on Friday I'll freak. They told me it could be several weeks or months between consult and surgery. Congrats and god luck.

Images

I had the surgery about 10 years ago at age 52. I was near sighted with a prescription of about -4.75. I did a lot of research and found that for older folks, your close vision would be very bad and actually worsen significantly after lasik. I told the doc that I needed to read maps and guide books while hiking and that glasses always fogged up in the morning. He said he could do mono vision for a few bucks more so that is what I did, knowing the adjustment period would be long. As it ended up, one eye had to be re-done to get the 20/20 needed for driving and I do have to wear glasses for night driving. The good thing is, I am able to read without glasses, although I am now at the beginning point of needing reading glasses for smaller print in dim light. All in all it worked out, but the mono-vision procedure really takes a while to get used to. When you are older, it is always a compromise. They can generally make you see 20/20 but you might need glasses for reading the computer. They can also bring out near vision to let you read fine but not see well enough to drive. They can't do both except with mono vision and that in itself is a big compromise since you loose some sense of depth, especially in the dark. My night vision has deteriorated, but that is mostly due to age. Once over about age 50 plus or minus some years, you can count on having glasses for some vision correction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++