WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: msr windpro?

Default msr windpro?

any thoughts on this stove? i have two kids that backpack with me and two titanium pots. I would got to a a pocket rocket, but the lack of stability and two kids concerns me.

Images

I have the Snow Peak remote canister stove, got it on a really good sale at my local outfitter. It's more stable than a canister-top stove, and I can use a real windscreen. The SP allows the canister to be turned upside down for winter use (though they don't recommend that in the directions.) I carry it only in the winter, though, since it's much heavier than my other stoves.

The Wind Pro has similar advantages, though I don't think the fuel canister can be inverted.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

i have the windpro. used it in very windy conditions and works great. wind never blew it out. i have the trillium stove base too so it's not unstable. it comes with a shield too to put around the stove.

I use my wind pro as my go to stove when my wife and I backpack. I have found it very stable even with larger pots, just have to be a little careful to put the stove centered on the stove, same as any stove. The wind shields are nice to have and will save fuel in the long run.
    The stove is pretty much maintence free although I have had to clean some residue out of the main chamber once, after a section hike on the AT. I have used the stove down to about 15 degrees and could tell that it was working hard, but was still ok. If you are going to use it in the cold sleep with the fuel in your bag with you, or at least in your tent in your pack.
    It is an easy stove to use; no primming needed and it has a simmer "valve" to use.
    Schnikel

Images

wind pro is my favorite canister stove. never had any issues with it.

Serial Hiker
    Images

It's an excellent stove. I've had mine for years, since it got great reviews in Backpacker mag years ago.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Excellent stove (on sale at www.backwoods.com for $55 with free shipping) and can use inverted canisters by spiraling the fuel line. The new WindproII has a neat valve that allows you to invert the canisters without curving the fuel line. You get full use of you canisters' gas, a stable base, and a wide, "full on to long term simmer" flame.

++ New Posts ++