WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mount Rainier National Park Ranger Shot & Killed

Last edited by Sly; 01-01-2012 at 22:14.

Mount Rainier National Park
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 01-01-2012 at 21:56.

sorry for screwing up the title on my thread starter,just wanted to get the word out
    seems some hikers might be out there, unaware of the situation
    please fix my title if possible
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 01-01-2012 at 22:21.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    sorry for screwing up the title on my thread starter, just wanted to get the word out
    seems some hikers might be out there, unaware of the situation
    please fix my title if possible
    Yup, fixed it, although I think you could have since you're a donating member, in advanced mode.

Here's what I don't get...
    Authorities said earlier that Anderson's body had been removed from the park, but Troyer said police have been unable to get to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Yup, fixed it, although I think you could have since you're a donating member, in advanced mode.
    having the ability and the know how are two different ball games
    my condolences to the family
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 01-01-2012 at 23:32.

thanks SLY
    happy new year

I'm at a National Park myself now and I can't believe this hapened. Our NPS is one of the great aspects of American life, I"m very sorry to read about his fine, young women getting murdered. My thoughts are with her family, as I believe her husband is NPS police officer as well.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

I have worked in several national parks, and hiked in Mt Rainier. The staff there was probably the most helpful and professional I have seen. My condolences to the family, friends, and colleagues.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

From the reports I've seen, it sounds like a nut looking for trouble. She happened to be the one who ran into him. My condolences as well, this is tragic.

What a damn shame.This story ain't over folks,and while it does end with the shooter gettin sniped IMO,he's not walk'in off that mt.And rightly so.They should give the guy to the husband period! Ya now I'm so tired of this I'm depressed so i'll just go take down as many people as I can,Wo, is f------ME Idiots.And oh, he was insane .Of coarse he's insane he shot someone.Pisses me off.Now we got two little girls growing up with out a mother,and this guy's gettin 3 hots a nd a cot.such bull.

He is very unlikely to escape with the lock down and air support thru out the park. God Bless the 2yo and 4yo lil girls left behind with a stressed and grieving father. I hope this doesnt discourage her lil ones from enjoying and appreciating the outdoors or national parks in the future. As a Mom of a lil one and voluteer with NPS on outer banks I can't fathom giving up that opportunity to explore because of a POS like this.

Journal Entries
    Images

God bless the Ranger and his family and Lord heal whoever done that awful thing. This kinda tragic death always bothers me.

Images

He's wanted for shooting and wounding 4 others the same day in Skyway, Wa. http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/02/justic...led/?hpt=hp_t1 Looks like your average deranged and retarded northwest white-supremacist neo-nazi skinhead survivalist type in his photo in the article. Here's wishing him an up close and personal encounter with a grizzly bear.

Default Rambo all over again

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    The news reports make it sound like another Rambo movie situation.

I know the area very well. One of the reports said that the suspect appears to be trying to get "out of the snow." That would mean that he is headed south from the Paradise Road into some of the most rugged country imaginable.

Some of the news reports have stressed that the suspect has "survival skills." Surviving very long in that situation will require skill and luck. I predict that he will be caught or kill himself by the end of the day.

Shutterbug

This is a tragedy for everyone involved.

Obviously, the ranger and her family didn't deserve this. Nor does her traumatized colleagues, or the other visitors to the park.

Despite what the shooters picture looked like, he's a recently discharged veteran of the Iraq war who's failed in returning home to peacetime USA.

This man is going to have to live (or die) with what he's done and he can't be absolved of his deeds. It's still worth remembering that his two young children are going to grow up fatherless now, and they've done nothing to deserve it either.

Journal Entries
    Images

CNN reports that shooter was found dead.

(CBS/AP) Last Updated 2:18 p.m. ET

MOUNT RAINIER NATIONAL PARK, Wash. — Police said a body believed to be that of a gunman suspected in the shooting death of a park ranger has been found, but the identity has not yet been confirmed.
    Public Information Officer Guy Gill said that police searching Mount Rainier National Park have located the body of a white male face down in the snow with no heat signature. It is believed to be that of homicide suspect Benjamin C. Barnes, but that has not been confirmed yet. He apparently died after trudging into chest-deep snow while trying to elude snowshoe-wearing SWAT team members and other police who were on his trail

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ainier-gunman/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    This is a tragedy for everyone involved.

Obviously, the ranger and her family didn't deserve this. Nor does her traumatized colleagues, or the other visitors to the park.

Despite what the shooters picture looked like, he's a recently discharged veteran of the Iraq war who's failed in returning home to peacetime USA.

This man is going to have to live (or die) with what he's done and he can't be absolved of his deeds. It's still worth remembering that his two young children are going to grow up fatherless now, and they've done nothing to deserve it either.
    His prior service does not in any way make me feel different about him or his deeds. He's a cold blooded killer - he shot the ranger while she was still in her car.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    His prior service does not in any way make me feel different about him or his deeds. He's a cold blooded killer - he shot the ranger while she was still in her car.
    The sorry state of mental health treatment and the ease with which we send men like him into war these days makes me feel different about it. I would be much less charitable if he wasn't a vet.

That said, dying alone in the woods might be punishment he deserves.

Understanding isn't the same thing as forgiving.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++