WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

I think Papa D and Bamboo Bob have it about right. Just start hiking 5-10 miles a day. Put together a daypack loaded with books or whatever you have to equal @ 30 lbs. You will soon be ready or decide this hike is not for you. It is a physical test but much more a mental and even spiritual one.

My first thru was actually part of a year long trip and took me 6 weeks to plan and leave.

The second thru was just the AT and took me about 4 hours to decide, pack and leave.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I think that anyone who starts a thru hike that cannot honestly jog slowly for 5 to 6 miles without feeling exhausted and tired the next day is starting with (nicely put) a pretty significant handicap.
    I don't know what you consider to be jogging slowly, but when I run I'm happy to make 2-3 miles (having a 29.5" inseam at 5'10" doesn't help though). I don't feel "exhausted and tired" the following day, but I definitely wouldn't run any more that day. Hiking is another thing. Twelve mile days out the gate (after a month of no/minimal exercise) are easy for me.

Back on topic - I decided to do my thru last August. I'll be starting in 26 days. Already had the gear I needed, just kept refining it down and telling my Mom what the plan is when I need her to send me a new pair of shoes, odds and ends I might not find on the trail, or half (maybe all?) of the local bakery's goods...

Images

It took 54 years to get to Springer Mountain.....

Two weeks at night and weekends as I worked off my notice. Pre-internet. All of this studying and analyzing every piece of gear and preparing spreadsheets of where one is going to stay every nite isn't necessary at all. You'll figure everything out as you go. This stuff ain't brain surgery and the AT ain't a wilderness.

Started thinking about it in 1971....hiked it in 2011.

Made the decision 6 months ago to start in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boots View Post
    Began two years ago to plan and discuss with family and others. Had some gear from other wilderness experiences. Within the past 18 months, acquired gear, found a partner, and began a training regimen. Start 2-18-12.
    Good luck on your start tomorrow.

I had the idea for a thru hike about 2 months ago, I leave in 3 weeks. Am I ready...we'll find out soon. Have not done a lot of planning and I see adapting to the circumstances as part of the experience. I have a food drop planned for Fontana and a gear swop at Pearisburg and somewhere near Glencliff(closed now).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++