WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

There is no better dog than a mutt. There are tons of lab/pit mixes out there that are medium sized and don't look like a pit, so people aren't freaked out. A dog you raise right is seldom a problem dog.

Images

What a coincidence! The Westminster dog show is on tonight!

Just saw a "Carne Corso" or "Roman Bodyguard". Loving them! Apparently I have a local breeder.

have had several mutts in my life, loved every one of them. if i was going to have a dog just for the hiking part of my life its would be a stafford / pit mix. then again that would be my pick overall anyway. as with any other dog you would have to put your time in and train him / her right. 2nd choice would be a lab [big and yellow] 3rd would be a dingo.
    well thats just me

RUNT

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

always had hounds, always will....
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

someone mentioned that they would never get a dog specifically for a thru hike. i actually commend you for it... if thru-ing is your eventual goal, it's better to plan ahead and get a dog that could possibly make it, rather than go for a boxer or a boston now and three years into the future say, "oh. darn. what am i going to do with my dog for x months?"

that being said, i have a vizsla, and she loved the hike. we did 1600 this summer and she held up incredibly well. she actually gained weight on the trail, and i didn't even have to increase her food. she ate the same portion on day 1 that she did our last day on the trail. i did a little bit of research on vizslas and endurance after i got back, and it seems that vizslas do pretty good with long distances... a few people have trained for half marathons with their vizsla.

i saw two huskies on the trail this year. neither one of them did well at all. there was a boxer, but i didn't see them again after troutville. someone hiked with a border collie mix and she did well. the mixes seem to do very good at handling the trail.
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MissMagnolia View Post
    So...have you considered a border collie type? They have crazy energy and need a job and hiking the AT might be the perfect job. Coat dries quickly and long hair can actually insulate against heat as well as cold, FYI, but they might try to herd everybody on the trail if not well trained and controlled.
    i hike with my border collie. like all things border collie, getting them to do what you want at first can be trying but once they have it down... he basically ignores everyone and everything on the trail while we're walking as he is doing his "job" and wont be distracted from it (people try and pet him, he ignores them). and except for when its super super hot out he can go longer than me easily.

chipmunks and squirrels were the biggest challenges at first.

We adopted our Border Collie, Angus, in November, since then we have hiked 585 miles. For 10 years I hiked with Mac, a Chesapeake Bay, he was a great trail citizen. Angus is becoming as good a trail dog, tireless, athletic, sturdy, learns fast, obedient, good trail manners. He is 'very busy', and requires a great deal of time and attention off the trail. My investment of time is paying big dividends, having a loving, devoted companion, as well as him becoming a good trail citizen. He & I are hiking our hike, and he has no desire to participate in your hike. He even poops off the trail, what a perk. No, we don't pack it out, but will bury it if near or around established campsites.

I would recommend a retriever breed, or if you have time to invest and plan on long distant backpacking, you won't go wrong partnering with a Border Collie.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    I have only one suggestion a Labrador Retriever
    +1 and enough letters to allow this to post

Images

Our Shilo Shepherd loves to hike regardless of the weather. Hot, cold, wet, or dry she handles it all with no problem. Just keep in mind, the larger the dog, the more dog food you'll need to bring along.

Images

My first hiking buddy was a German shepard Huskie Wolf mix. He was born for the trail. He hiked all of New England with me on my thru before I sent him home. And he could have done the entire trail with no issue. His only downfalls were his love of porcupines and he was a big intimidating dog. I currently hike with a female black lab who is kind of a goober on the trail but she is well tempered and can hike with out a leash. I also have a six month old Bermise mountain dog who I cant wait to get on the trail.

Dogs rock! the best hiking buddy IMO.
    skinny d

Journal Entries

Nothing is better than a Lab.
    Talk to Pat Nolan, Cell (301) 748-8389
    http://ponderosakennels.com/
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

To the OP:
    How willing are you to hike your dog's hike?
    For section hiking, no problem, but a thruhike is more than I would want to put a dog through.

The White Mountains are very tough on dogs' nails.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

When in doubt, go with a rescue mixed breed. Or my favorite of all the breeds, a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. A great all-around outdoors dog.

N.S. Toller.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    To the OP:
    How willing are you to hike your dog's hike?
    For section hiking, no problem, but a thruhike is more than I would want to put a dog through.

The White Mountains are very tough on dogs' nails.
    I'm looking for more of a section hike / day hike buddy. I don't see a thru in my near future.

If I was picking a dog for a thru hike I would go for something smaller than a lab. Labs get hot/overheated pretty easy, they have hip issues which might be aggrivated by carrying a pack, plus they eat a ton of food. Also labs want to get in the water all the time. If they see a puddle they want to lay in it consequntly your dog is going to be wet, muddy, dirty, and smelly until you get to a clean water source to swim/clean off in.

I have a terrier mix rescue dog that weights 18lbs. With high protein food he eats 2/3 to 1 cup a day and he can run all day every day. A mile to him is like 10 feet to me. The only negative for him and a lot of terriers is that off leash there is no stopping them going after cats, squirrels, etc he is going there is nothing you can say or do to stop him. If the cat takes off across an interstate, he will chase it does not matter. I youngish, sturdy jack russell terrier would be a perfect thru hiking companion. At 12-20 lbs they take up less space, eat less, can usually get in your sleeping bag with you at night to keep you warm.

I would go for a small breed rescue dog. Go to the pounds/shelters/rescues, look at the dogs, take them for walks, play with them, find one with a good attitude and rescue it, they will love you and appreciate you the rest of their life.

Images

There a lots of breeds that make excellent hiking partners, but it's really gotta come down to the individual dog's personality and what you put into its training and socialization. My best hiking partner right now is a german shepherd / husky/ border collie / lab mix. She is incredibly energetic and intelligent, which makes her independent and high maintenance (so she is never off-leash on the trail) but she carries her pack like it's nothing and even helps pull up hills (she gets tied into my hip belt most of the time). Her presence is priceless at night, especially in the winter or when you can hear coyotes around. She absolutely lives for the trail more than any other dog I've owned. It takes a lot of work to prepare for all her needs and maintain responsibility for her at all times, but for the enjoyment we both get out of backpacking together, I try to take her as often as I can.
    I've noticed, through her and other dogs I've packed with, that while you might think a big dog will be sturdier for the trail, sometimes their size is a disadvantage because of the amount of food they need to eat (and have carried) and often the medium size dogs can go for longer because their bodies are lighter. She tops out at about 40 lbs and her back is only about knee-high (you think she'd be bigger with her background).
    My girl also has a pretty thick coat, which is great for the cold, and while she hasn't showed much of an issue with summer hiking, overheating is always something I have to watch for. Her beautiful coat also holds smells like no other... a real downer after she decides to take a dip in some swampy pond or something. While other dogs smell too, it seems to have been less radiant coming from the labs and pit bulls I've hiked with. She is pretty thorough about cleaning herself, but longer fur can lead to matting.
    My favorite breed at the moment is an Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler) but for me, that's only a starting point. I'm a big fan of adoptions and rescues and usually you don't know much about their pedigree. It comes down to finding the dog fits your lifestyle in both personality and body-type

A Boxer, the best trail companion you could ever ask for. But my opinion is biased.

Images

Be sure to tell the rescue people that you plan to take the dog on a LD trip. They'll have insights as to which of the dogs they have would be suitable. My labs loved to day hike. My daughters rescue lab is hyper if not crazy and would not be a good trail dog. Don't get a beagle, you'll never see it again.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Whatever dog you get just know you will be around new people all the time. All the time. So they need to be trained not to bite and or run up to people as well as bark. (I had some bad experiences) So stay away from a protective dog. The trail is safe anyhow.

But dogs are normally cute. So go with the most adorable one and people will flock to you or should I say your dog. Just so you know the starting conversation will always be about your dog. I'm too jealous to share my attention.

I like dogs that have the look of what might Native Americans might have had in this region, not that we will ever know for sure. Medium sized, and lean. Easy on food, and easy on their own feet. I read someplace there were many different native 'breeds', but only a few remain to the modern day. I think something the size and shape of an Eastern Coyote or Nova Duck Toller Retriever, but obviously not a coyote, and I am also partial to mutts and mixed breeds. Also a coat not to thick for summer, but warm for winter.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++