WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    One question:

"What EXACTLY will use this item for?"

If you cannot answer that question, it has no business being in your pack, no matter how much it weighs.
    Found this at Little Laurel shelter.And the idiot cut green trees for this ...

351.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner:1329062
    One question:

If you cannot answer that question, it has no business being in your pack, no matter how much it weighs.
    Found this at Little Laurel shelter.And the idiot cut green trees for this ...

351.JPG
    That's one uncomfortable looking chair.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    That's one uncomfortable looking chair.
    It didn't last long I found the charred remains in the firepit a few weeks later...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    If you don't carry a tool like that, then what do you carry?
    I am still trying to figure that out - I know it won't be stainless steel and made in China

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Les Stroud seems to find many uses for his leatherman,but he ain't no thru hiker either.....
    Interesting - I never saw Les use a Leatherman - it was a Temagami Carbon Steel

One question:

My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    It didn't last long I found the charred remains in the firepit a few weeks later...
    We are like the chair - only here for a short while, enjoy the trip.

Hey I am not against Leatherman, I have two, I finally found a use for the pliers last month for backpacking it is the Hieny pot holder and the tent steak remover so I am bending a little.

With the knife missing and the rest of the unit is stainless - it gets a pass, but I won't buy it. Stainless knifes on wood goes dull too fast compared to better steel. Keep in mind the Swiss Army knife was intended to be a gun service tool. It is fine for the average hiker, I gave up on it... I am looking for better stuff. I have been playing with Micra ( I love it ) and considering a squirt, I donated my Swiss to my dad.

I use a real separate knife with locking blade see my gallery, and have bought a better one since.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 08-26-2012 at 01:05.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

If you want to carry a Leatherman, carry a Leatherman. You'll decide if it's worthless or not yourself after a time.

What's worthless to one person might be gold to someone else.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    If you want to carry a Leatherman, carry a Leatherman. You'll decide if it's worthless or not yourself after a time.

What's worthless to one person might be gold to someone else.....
    +1 Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

Like everything it's personal.
    I tend to believe the line that if you have one you won't need it but if you don't you'll hate yourself.
    I don't have a seperate knife or scissors so I always carry a small Victrinox Classic. I have a gap in my teeth that means I always use the toothpick as well (gross I know). Then the tweezers are useful for ticks. On a long hike the nail file is used with the scissors for manicure/pedicure. My son will carry a Leatherman on our AT hike because he always carries one everywhere and is just comfortable with it. This means I don't need pliers as he has them.

Seems that 1.5oz for tools is reasonable. When I read the thread title I was expecting to read about an 8oz Wave or similar. It gets the UL nod from me if it has multiple uses, high performance for its weight, and is actually used on a regular basis.

Another way to approach the Ultralight Tool Dilemma is to find a light single use tool that fills your main impetus for carrying a multitool. Another response mentioned hemostats, which a very handy. A 5" pair weighs 0.8oz and I have some 3" long ones that are lighter yet. A Victorinox Lil Vickie serrated paring knife weighs just 0.8oz with sheath and a pair of Fiskars Craft scissors are 0.6oz.

Note that these single tools are generally less expensive, yet more functional than many of the options built into a multitool. The real convenience of a multitool is having everything in one place. That makes it easier to lose it all at once too

Some repair items are so light that there is little reason not to carry them. A hotel freebie style sewing kit with a needle, safety pin, 2 buttons, and 6 colors of thread in a cellophane bag weighs 0.06oz (1.7g). Just keep your head
    Last edited by DaleW; 09-24-2012 at 21:38.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I just got a Leatherman mini knockoff from Cabalas. $5, I usually just cut cheese with the edge of my spoon but this "tool" is so cute I have to bring it
    At first I thought you were recommending something that I bought years ago and tossed out. Later it was the same knockoff used by Aron Ralston to cut off his hand....It went dull halfway thru... these knockoffs are fun and cheap and never hold up. (I can be wrong) took a peak yea looks cool on Cabelas.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty DPD View Post
    I carry the Squirt, a couple of ozs. I consider it the necessary item I hope is just along for the ride when hiking w/ a dog, fingers slip while trying to pull porcupine quills.
    serious? wow -- poor dog. Since the start of this thread I have since picked up a Micra.

Quote Originally Posted by handyman439 View Post
    IMO, they weight would be better spent on a quality fixed blade knife. Much more useful in a survival situation, and you are going to use the knife much more often that the other tools.
    I agree. Rei has now added locking, and fixed blade this year. Benchmade with better stainless and other steel. I use CRKT and others. (should have one good one)

Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic View Post
    .....I also used to carry a small multi-tool, mainly for the pliers but I decided to save the weight and learned work around not having them. That's not too say that they cannot be useful, but I haven't found them to be essential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    3 season
    1. small medical scissors
    2. tick key
    2. single blade, tiny, swiss army knife

winter
    I do bring a full leatherman on winter solo backpacking trips.
    Tom - Honest - wish you had said why......

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    have you ever needed these things on a hike? if so, then take it, if not, leave it home. If you got into a situation that you did need something like this, and didn't have it, how would you manage the situation?

As for TSA - they are so weird, I can take a 4 inch sharp pointy scissors on board but not a 1 inch pocket knife! I can do a lot of damage with a 4 inch scissors. I can carry on a 12 inch long knitting needle, but not a hiking pole.
    Last time I looked Hiking Pole falls under cane and walking stick and is not on the list, I remember that as an independent thread a few years back right here on WB that I found interesting. Otherwise we agree,

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    Seems that 1.5oz for tools is reasonable. When I read the thread title I was expecting to read about an 8oz Wave or similar. It gets the UL nod from me if it has multiple uses, high performance for its weight, and is actually used on a regular basis.

Another way to approach the Ultralight Tool Dilemma is to find a light single use tool that fills your main impetus for carrying a multitool. Another response mentioned hemostats, which a very handy. A 5" pair weighs 0.8oz and I have some 3" long ones that are lighter yet. A Victorinox Lil Vickie serrated paring knife weighs just 0.8oz with sheath and a pair of Fiskars Craft scissors are 0.6oz.

Note that these single tools are generally less expensive, yet more functional than many of the options built into a multitool. The real convenience of a multitool is having everything in one place. That makes it easier to lose it all at once too

Some repair items are so light that there is little reason not to carry them. A hotel freebie style sewing kit with a needle, safety pin, 2 buttons, and 6 colors of thread in a cellophane bag weighs 0.06oz (1.7g). Just keep your head
    Nice post!...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow, on a thru hike??? I don't think I even considered bringing my Leatherman for my upcoming thru. I have a small tweezers, VERY small and lightweight pocket knife and a little tick remover tool. Scissors and all?? Just wait until you get to town or motel. Tools to repair stuff?? Never had to repair or work on anything yet. I have had packs, snowshoes, binoculars, haking staves, tent poles, stoves, etc., and never had to work on them.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

I can't really think of much you would do with a LM on a backpacking trip on the AT - - a tiny pocket knife and a tiny pair of tweezers would be much lighter and more effective. I primarily use my pocket knife for cutting block cheese (which could really be done with my spork in a pinch) and I might very occasionally cut a piece of cord which could be done with a lighter in a pinch - - a pocket knife is almost unnecessary - - I carry one anyway - almost out of tradition than pure need - - A LM would be (imo) completely unnecessary.

Journal Entries

IMO, as useless as tits on a boar hog.

Journal Entries

FYI I got stopped at the airport x-ray machine with a leatherman and was unable to procede till I went back to my car and left it there. I am not planning to bring such a tool on the AT thru, but I do feel we are all entitled to 1 reasonable luxury item and a leatherman is reasonable.

Leatherman now makes a "keychain" size knife that is very similar to the victorinox classic only just slightly larger, and weighs just 0.8 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see a Blade on this tool. How am I going to slice cheese or cut a large cord?

....or sharpen a stick?

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    I didn't see a Blade on this tool. How am I going to slice cheese or cut a large cord?
    This one.

http://m.leatherman.com/Products/?id=480

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the weight on that thing is correct, I wouldn't depend on any of the tools being of much use...get a good knife.

Journal Entries
    Images

This is a very tough trade off - you want it light and sharp - and nobody posted this yet I use it to check my feet - nobody wants a problem on the trail with a nail-bed. I have been buying a few lightweight Knives and have moved some better (IMO) choices.... There clearly isn't a total choice for the trail. I just do not need screw drivers or corkscrews for UL hiking.

For a survival accident - stainless and cheap knifes goes dull far to fast (sorry for repeating myself) I just do not think a razor blade is a good choice.

OK look at this a different way.... Would you buy a Wally World $15 Sleeping bag to go on a Winter camp out? or would you buy something that was rated for temp?
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 10-24-2012 at 20:30.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

curious can someone click on my "hammock forums" at the top of the signature line see if it works.

Woo

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++