WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I have a 3L "nalgene canteen" that I use for a lot of the purposes posted here. It weighs 3oz. One of the biggest benefits I have found of using a separate container for treating (I use chemicals) is that the dirt all settles to the bottom when it sits for the 20-30 minutes to treat. I can then pour off the top into my camelback, dump the grit/silt, and not be stuck drinking dirt for the last 5 sips of water.

It's definitely not "needed" but it is nice.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Convert it to a hanging gravity filter, and it makes sense.

Someone really filters water for their dog?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I'd be afraid some girl hiker would want to Bedazzle that thing.
    Is this a new verb. I thought one could only be bedazzled
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Eywa Dude View Post
    I had an impulse moment and bought a Sea To Summit 10L folding bucket. I'm starting to think this was a wasted purchase. I thought I read somewhere that it is handy to have one. But, now I can't really think of a situation where I need it. Do I really need this thing? What's your take? Thanks.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/72
    I have one, too. Haven't used it in years. It's around here somewhere.................................
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Is this a new verb. I thought one could only be bedazzled
    Well now that it is a product, it's used in common language meaning to use the bedazzler on an item to add rhinestones. Kinda like saying Im gonna oil up that chassis. Both a product and a verb. Im just chock full of useless info.

Ok. Makes sense. When I was a kid I used to work in a Greek restaurant where the owner would ask me to "Broom the floor". Made sense to him. I realized that English was not his first language, so I let it slide.
    Amazing how much I have to learn. I'm trying to keep up.

Images

I use one.I have used one for thruhikes of the AT and the PCT. If you filter it's well worth it. It's flexible enough to scoop and beats sitting in a stream pumping. But I do consider it kind of a luxury item. If you worry about what people think and get intimidated by the tough out door guys who seem to know every thing then don't use it. If you think for your self...
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Truth is I preferred the Platypus 4 liter tall bucket but they change to a low shape that I find less usefull so I got the folding bucket which is little less sturdy but maybe more durable.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I asked the same question. He looked at me like I was crazy. "If I filter my water, why wouldn't I filter hers?"

Makes sense.

I had an impulse moment and bought a Sea To Summit 10L folding bucket. I'm starting to think this was a wasted purchase

Yes that was a silly idea.
    I did the same a long time ago but promptly saw the error of my ways and purchased the 5 liter version.
    Me and the 5 L bucket are one.
    I use the 'correct" side to carry water and the reverse side to wash myself and clothing in.
    (that is when water is scarce as in my last trip, except for the first night and day when plenty of water came from the sky)
    Washing yourself every night before changing into clean "night" clothing goes a long way to provide a warmer and more comfortable sleep.
    I am now about to unpack so I will look out for my stupid item ... (bound to find a few...)
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    I asked the same question. He looked at me like I was crazy. "If I filter my water, why wouldn't I filter hers?"

Makes sense.
    Makes no sense at all. I have hunting dogs. They drink out of every creek, swamp and mud hole they can find. Doesn't hurt them a bit.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

LOL This isn't a hunting dog. She's a pampered city dog. I should've said, "It makes sense to him."

Now, if the bucket has a brim, then it becomes multi-use...

Do you need it, no. Do people find uses for them, yes. My girlfriend carried one, for those of us who don't stay in every town it's a way to carry water away from the water source for bathing and clothes washing.

P.S. When buying gear I try to get everything I can from someplace like REI with a really good return policy so that I'm not stuck with some of those item that looked really shiny in the store but seem a lot more impractical when I go to put them in my pack.

I've smelled the people who don't carry something to move water away from drinking sources.
    They smell like death and are treated as such by those of us who do not.
    Run Away.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    The irony is palpable.

I have a Sea To Summit 10L folding bucket.
    If I don't have my gravity-feed filtration water bags with me, I need it for a "dirty-water" container.
    I like it because often the water is not close by, or, the mosquitos like the water, and, I like to camp away from the mosquitos. I prefer to camp on ridges and on hillsides.
    I especially like the
    Sea To Summit 10L folding bucket, nearby, if I am having a wood fire.

The S2S bucket is kind of heavy, but I use a home-made silnylon bag all the time; probably holds 3-4 gallons if full. Weighs a couple ounces. I use it to carry a nearly full bag of water off into the woods to get cleaned up away from the water source with some privacy too, and do my laundry (wash sweat and oils out of my hiking boxers, socks, and shirt). In good weather, I try to do this just about every day. As a result, I feel good and smell marginally better than the average hiker.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

"Dude"! This as a UL forum. Such items as camp buckets are only discussed by ULers when talking car camping.
    So, no, return it and save up for a SMD Skyscape X Cuben fabric tent or some other exotic but featherweight gear.

I struggle to be polite in my response. Are u serious? Youre obviously not on the cutting edge of going lite, but in order to save you money....

I usually carry (one or two) 1 liter Gatorade bottles. At the end of the day, you should end up near a water source. You should only need a cup or two to make dinner and a liter to drink before bed. That leaves you with a half a liter to start during the morning. So you may have to go back to the source pending on the water sources.

If you want to save a second trip in the morning, then you have a few oPtions: (1) Reuse a boxed wine (Franzia Bag) or (2)grab a Platypus 2 liter Plastic reservoir. These are the lightest ways to increase your water capacity.

Second you shouldn't carry more than a liter on your person, pending on water sources and weather...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++