WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Mine wore out like crazy. Not sure why. I fond the Wigwam coolmax fantastic.
    I started out with six pair, brought three with me on the trail. About half way I saw that one pair was just beginning to wear a hole in the outer layer, so I swapped out the first three pair. I am still wearing them to run in and such.

There is a reason you won't find marathoners or other long distance runners wearing wool socks. Never had any blisters or other foot problems.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CornerCreek27 View Post
    hello all,

Im looking to get 2pr of the Darn Tough merino boot socks for my upcoming thru; but these things are so damn expensive! Id like to pay less than 20 bucks per a pair. Any suggestions???

Also, people who have used these, how well do liners work with them, would they save the life of the socks for a through or are unnecessary?

Thanks
    CC
    Seriously, without ever having used DT socks, you want them for your thru? Because of what, a web review?

I have 1 pair of DT's. They bunch up right at the intersection of my foot and ankle, top side front. Other WBers report the same problem. Wear whatever is comfy for you now.

dude, ease up on the guy. If he's considering dropping $$ dough on good socks, this isnt such a bad place for him to do some research before hand. I'd definitely say they don't apply perfectly to all. Thats why we have options

My blister and foot problems went away when I switched to cheap gray cushioned athletic socks from Wal Mart (the 6 pairs for $5) and trail runners. Unless you have a medical reason to wear boots you might want to think outside of that box.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    It's tough when you make top quality goods because they really do last so much longer people don't need to come back.
    That would be a big problem if their unconditional guarantee applied to all the socks I lose.

Does the guarantee apply if you don't have a receipt? I have a pair with a hole in it, but the receipt was lost years ago...

I got some Darn Toughs, and for the first time in my life, more than one person said, "hey, nice socks".

well, thats truly the advice i needed. gottem from amazon (blah) for about 15 a pair... see yall on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    They have an unconditional lifetime warranty that blows the socks off the competition.

Doesn't get much better than that.
    We'll see how long that last with thru-hikers switching them out 5 or 6 times.

Quote Originally Posted by BabySue View Post
    I love Darn Tough. I should send them a Valentine. I bought a pair of Smart Wool and a pair of Darn Tough on the same day. The Darn Tough pair lasted 100x more miles (literally).
    Huh? Even if you only got 100 miles from the Smart Wools which seems low (I would think you could get 3-400 miles easy) that would mean you got 10,000 miles on your Darn Tough socks. Color me doubtful.

I always check my used socks before I leave on a hike, but it seems there's a point where they look like they are still in good shape but as soon as you put 60-70 miles on them this happens.
    6168598074_219c76a7fd.jpg

I'm starting with new socks on the LT this fall. I'm not taking any chances.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

i went to BJ's (bulk item store) and bought a pack of 3 pairs of Timberland wool socks for $15. they're decently thick and cheaper than other high-end brands so i picked up 2 packs.

Check out this link on ATC's Facebook page showing photos of a southbounder who'd come a thousand miles on one pair of Darn Tough socks. I talked to the hiker and took the photos.

Laurie P.

I have used DT socks for the last 3-4 years and love them. If you look for sales, can sometimes get them for as little as $25 for 2 pairs. I like liner socks and use the thin SmartWool merino liners with them, or if its cold a slightly thicker Defeet merino sock as a liner sock.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    We'll see how long that last with thru-hikers switching them out 5 or 6 times.
    Hmmm, they've been in business over 30 years. Sure, it's hard to stop someone who's mind is bent on deceit in the first place.

BTW, how many of those made in China socks have an "unconditional lifetime warranty"?

.......... that's what I thought.
    Last edited by Spokes; 02-23-2012 at 14:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    Seriously, without ever having used DT socks, you want them for your thru? Because of what, a web review?

I have 1 pair of DT's. They bunch up right at the intersection of my foot and ankle, top side front. Other WBers report the same problem. Wear whatever is comfy for you now.
    This is probably a good place to drop the idea that if you are a 'tweener, size wise, get the next pair smaller because, if not, they will bunch up on you.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

only problem with mine are when you wash them on the trail they take forever to dry.

Whoops, I am apparently math-challenged. I didn't get 10,000 miles out of my Darn Tough socks, or out of anything without an engine for that matter. I got about 6 months and 100 miles out of the Smartwool and 3 years and more than 1,000 miles from the Darn Tough.
    Concerning the need for a receipt: Their website makes no mention of receipt or other need for proof of purchase (such as packaging), and it emphasizes "no questions asked" and "unconditional." My interpretation, therefore, is that no reciept is needed.
    Concerning bunching up, I've not experienced this, but I only wear the short (quarter high) ones.

Images

I won a pair of Darn Tough Hiker's last night at a Outdoor Leadership Conference Raffle!! X)
    No worries; we're here to learn.
    My ink trail.

I recently found darn toughs at Marshalls and TJMax for $4-7. Found 4 pair in 3 different stores in the active wear section and clearance bin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++