WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bloggers are paid?

How many of you have bought a UL product based...on the suggestion of a blogger or fellow WB Member? The gear I have bought based on reviews by bloggers...members suggestions works 50/50. Just a feeling perhaps some are paid by companies..to push the goods. Should WB. Members be asked first if they represent a company...or be required to post a disclaimer on their suggestions/blog posts. Feel that alot of people buy products based solely on some members reviews...myself included. Have bought a Bear bag pillows wallet and ditty sacks based on blogger review...none of them worked out. Basically I feel screwed out of money I spent...when I trusted the blogger's word.

Images

When you decide to research a product, its always a good idea to get as many different sources as possible to help make a decision with the best information.
    why would you take any one persons word that a given product would be right for you?
    PS. I sell Chevys so dont ask my feedback about toyota. its a little biased.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    How many of you have bought a UL product based...on the suggestion of a blogger or fellow WB Member? The gear I have bought based on reviews by bloggers...members suggestions works 50/50. Just a feeling perhaps some are paid by companies..to push the goods. Should WB. Members be asked first if they represent a company...or be required to post a disclaimer on their suggestions/blog posts. Feel that alot of people buy products based solely on some members reviews...myself included. Have bought a Bear bag pillows wallet and ditty sacks based on blogger review...none of them worked out. Basically I feel screwed out of money I spent...when I trusted the blogger's word.

I don't think they should be required to disclose anything or post a disclaimer.. Fiscal responsibility is up to the end user.. I read reviews from multiple sources and get a general idea of the gear I'm about to buy, if it wasn't want i thought, oh well. i don't buy shoes or sleeping bags on line, i gotta check em out in person. WB doesn't need to resemble California or Massachusetts, keep the regulations and disclaimers somewhere else. thats my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    When you decide to research a product, its always a good idea to get as many different sources as possible to help make a decision with the best information.
    why would you take any one persons word that a given product would be right for you?
    PS. I sell Chevys so dont ask my feedback about toyota. its a little biased.
    Toyotas are better.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Stick around long enough and you'll know who's who and who has similar tastes to yours. There are some people that I make a point to read what they have to say and others who I don't bother to read.

Not that there is anything wrong with anyone - far from it. It's just that I know who has similar tastes and style to mine.

Even when people aren't paid, it's usually an ego issue that often keeps them from telling you the "whole truth".

No one likes to admit that they spent a bunch of money on a pile of, well, you know, so they give their gear raving reviews, often failing to tell the dark side.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Toyotas are better.
    Last year Chevy regained the #1 sales spot.and wait till you see the new malibu. and im not biased. i lied before. and did i tell you i hate you

Images

I've bought stuff based on suggestions by folks here, but as Hikerboy mentioned, that's only one of several sources of information I use to evaluate it. Sometimes, despite the best advice I solicit, I determine the item just doesn't meet my needs.

Images

if a single persons opinion counted for anythiong, we'd all be wearing the same clothes and carrying the same gear.
    to start requiring disclaimers and disclosures takes all the fun out of it.just dont beleive everything you read.
    you can, however, beleive my own posts ,

Would you play three card monte with a man on the street? Sometimes it's hard to tell who's the shill. Same with bloggers or Amazon customer feedback for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Last year Chevy regained the #1 sales spot.and wait till you see the new malibu. and im not biased. i lied before. and did i tell you i hate you
    Smiley face hatred I can take, bro! Lol

I've owned three Toyotas, two of which I still have, the other one was sold to my son, who parked it in front of the house one night where a drunk ran into it and totalled it. The two still on the road have over 200,000 miles. One has almost 300,000. Basic maintenance, exhaust, brakes and a radiator is all they have cost me.
    I hope the US auto industry can catch up and keep up. They owe it to those of us who paid for the bailout (all of us who pay taxes).

I've often seen posters here mention a commercial conection while discussing gear. Just plain honesty in a friendly forum. Anyone's opinions require a generous grain of salt.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Smiley face hatred I can take, bro! Lol

I've owned three Toyotas, two of which I still have, the other one was sold to my son, who parked it in front of the house one night where a drunk ran into it and totalled it. The two still on the road have over 200,000 miles. One has almost 300,000. Basic maintenance, exhaust, brakes and a radiator is all they have cost me.
    I hope the US auto industry can catch up and keep up. They owe it to those of us who paid for the bailout (all of us who pay taxes).
    better than half chevy sales last year were from non-gm owners.one day maybe will get you back from the "dark side".competition is good. and we've paid back most of the money already.
    its all good tinker.
    on a lighter note, cars designed to break down every three years are good for the economy.if everyone kept their cars as long as you, we wouldnt have an auto industry.American carmakers are back, and both ford and Gm are now building some of the best vehicles on the road.

I know I personally don't need to be paid to be highly opinionated, or subjective, or wrong.
    It would be nice to recieve a pension from the smelly old sweater cartel. Working on it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    ... Should WB. Members be asked first if they represent a company...or be required to post a disclaimer on their suggestions/blog posts. ...
    Absolutely they should disclose that they have a special interest in the product/company they are pushing. It's only the honorable thing to do.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I dont know, even if they are getting money is it really screwing thier opinion? Alot of people get paid to give thier opinions. Are they getting paid like when you do a gear review in order to get a discount on the product? Or is MSR, or some other company, saying here is X amount of money go write a positive review. Plus you can usually tell the quality of the review by how it is written and the things the person is boasting or complaining about. For instance, if the negative review says that the gortex doesnt work, padding causes blisters etc.. when all the other boot reviews are positive. Usually when I read reviews I throw out the best and worst reviews and focus on the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Absolutely they should disclose that they have a special interest in the product/company they are pushing. It's only the honorable thing to do.

Rain Man

I agree with Rain Main.

I'm a Gossamer Gear Ambassador. I often recommend their tent, but that's because I like their tent. I usually recommend ULA packs even though I used a Gossamer Gear pack for half the PCT. I don't get paid for my opinion. I get a small discount if I buy something from them, but I think I've only taken advantage of that once or twice.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

caveat emptor
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Rain Man

I think they should disclose.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++