WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steripen?

Default Steripen?

i bought a steripen classic, should i keep it or send it back and save the $70 and use aqua mira

Images

Steripen is the most important piece of equipment in my pack. I dehydrate very quickly and severely. It is a must have for me, and for 4.5 oz, its' a no brainer.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I use one. Keep the company contact info handy just in case it malfunctions. I had one that gave me problems, it became hard to turn on without going red in a few seconds. Called the company and they sent another to the next PO. A few weeks later that one did the same so I swapped that one out too. They were real cooperative about it and had good customer service.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

alright, ill keep it then and just bring aqua mira in case, thanks guys.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I use one. Keep the company contact info handy just in case it malfunctions. I had one that gave me problems, it became hard to turn on without going red in a few seconds. Called the company and they sent another to the next PO. A few weeks later that one did the same so I swapped that one out too. They were real cooperative about it and had good customer service.
    I have notived this happens when the unit is damps and never gets a chance to dry out. so i try and let mine dry out whenever possible.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

On your budget 70 bucks is a week of food, save the money use AM or bleach.

I had one last year. It crapped out in the smokies. Everyone else I know had theirs break by franklin. Go with a gravity filter. Steri pens suck

Images

I have a Steripen Classic and it is now my "go to" water "purification" device. I previously used my Katadyn Hiker all the time. EVERY water system has pros and cons and problems.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Funny, Steripen suggests another source of water treatment as a backup. Besides most thru hikers you meet will be using AquaMira. Why be jealous? You'll be really ticked off when the red flashing error lights start anyway .....

I like mine but you have to use the lithium batteries or it will not work near as long.

All I gotta do is worry about counting how many drops to put in the cap....... No evil red light errors and blurry eyed looks at the probe wondering why it isn't glowing.

Images

Just a thought, I discovered the cost of batteries is pretty expensive, so I started using the Steripen for water stops, and used the Aquimira tabs for my bladder once in camp. Too bad I figured this out 500 miles into it.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Jalapeno View Post
    I had one last year. It crapped out in the smokies. Everyone else I know had theirs break by franklin. Go with a gravity filter. Steri pens suck
    Counterpoint: one of my buddies had one and it lasted Springer-Katahdin, using it every day. He had to call the company maybe twice or three times about problems and they always gave a helpful answer. After a while he figured out how to take care of it so it worked every time. Proof that it's possible.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I stopped using Aqua Mira as my first choice for water treatment after reading that in takes 4 hours to kill crypto and giardia.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Used one every day of the thru hike from Katahdin to Spring this past summer/fall. It worked well once I understood the need to thoroughly dry it extremely well after each use. I liked the ability to drink the water instantly, camel up, refill and move on.

I met a couple folks who poo-poo-ed them early on in my hike (northbounders who had done most of the trail by then)...and knew a lot of southbounders who used them successfully for the entire thru hike.

I had my concerns that the Steripen didn't clean out the rim of the container, so I worked out a method to clean it, by dribbling a small amount of the clean water out the top...not sure if that helped or I just got lucky. I did not limit myself to springs on the hike but used what was available when I wanted water.

If you use it, buy batteries in bulk online and ship them out in resupply packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Used one every day of the thru hike from Katahdin to Spring this past summer/fall. It worked well once I understood the need to thoroughly dry it extremely well after each use. I liked the ability to drink the water instantly, camel up, refill and move on.

I met a couple folks who poo-poo-ed them early on in my hike (northbounders who had done most of the trail by then)...and knew a lot of southbounders who used them successfully for the entire thru hike.

I had my concerns that the Steripen didn't clean out the rim of the container, so I worked out a method to clean it, by dribbling a small amount of the clean water out the top...not sure if that helped or I just got lucky. I did not limit myself to springs on the hike but used what was available when I wanted water.

If you use it, buy batteries in bulk online and ship them out in resupply packages.
    the above being said...in planning for the PCT this summer, am investigating bleach because of availability and the ability to save several ounces.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I know someone who used bleach on the AT. They just asked some nice little old lady at the laundry mat if they could have a few ounces. They always managed to get some and never had to buy a whole bottle. One thing about bleach is that it has a short shelf life and if your borrowing from someone then you don't really know if it's still good. That might not be a problem for your laundry but it might be for your drinking water. Also extreme heat and cold effects the shelf life.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I stopped using Aqua Mira as my first choice for water treatment after reading that in takes 4 hours to kill crypto and giardia.
    BINGO!!! Sometimes I think NO ONE reads the instructions and cautions. Mostly they just believe what they want to believe and preach something they know nothing to little about as a result.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I just wave my LED headlight over the water and it seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    BINGO!!! Sometimes I think NO ONE reads the instructions and cautions. Mostly they just believe what they want to believe and preach something they know nothing to little about as a result.

Rain Man

Hmmmm, just reading the instructions and cautions? You crack me up! :-)

I say dig a little deeper.

Have a gander at what the COO of AquaMira Technoligies says here:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...to_post=431585

Then refer to the EPA study "Alternative Disinfectants and Oxidants Guidance Manual" section 4.

http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw/mdbp/altern...s_guidance.pdf

Here's the Cliff Note version:

"Chlorine dioxide is regarded as a strong disinfectant that is effective at inactivating bacterial, viral, and protozoan pathogens" 4.4.3.4. (Yep, you read that right)

The study also addresses the cryptosporidium controversy and cites studies using 30, 60, and 120 minute contact times on infectivity rates and inactivation.

I like basing my decision points on what a variety of research says.
    Last edited by Spokes; 02-15-2012 at 15:51.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++