WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

So back on topic . . . . . .

All you can do is try. If you think you can do the trip for $1,000, then by all means go out there, do it, and let us know how it went.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.......Like F-Stop said "If you think you can do the trip for $1,000, then by all means go out there, do it, and let us know how it went." Or.... Your poor planning or procrastination does not mean it’s my emergency! Good Luck on your Hike!

Images

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Many facts about thru hiking the AT on $1K have been stated, but no one has summarized everything. So using the assumptions from the question that was originally posted, the OP is going to attempt to average 20 mpd and hike the whole trail on $1K. Breaking this down results in about a 4 month trip (a little less 120 days, although a few zeros will likely be required), and an average budget of $8.33 per day (for 120 days). So based on that here are the things to consider:
    • You need to buy food every day, and preferably should attempt to eat a somewhat rounded diet so as to not lose too much weight.
    • You need to budget for other consumables (batteries, stove fuel, first aid items, etc.).
    • You’ll need money to repair or replace and damaged gear.
    • New footwear will likely need to be purchased at some point.
    • What if you require treatment for something that can be resolved where you can finish your hike (e.g. many hikers have contracted some type of viral or bacterial ailment, gotten treatment, and been able to finish in the same year). You’ll either need to quit, or budget in money to cover treatment. You’ll also have to plan to recover whilst camping in the woods since there is no budget for a stay in town.
    • You’ll need to budget money to get to the trail at the start and back home at the end.

So, to conclude you’ll have a budget of $8.33 per day to cover food, other consumables, gear repair/replacement, replacement footwear, potential treatment for a health issue, and travel. I haven’t thru hiked, but after laying all that out it seems to me as though things would pretty much have to go perfect to be able to come in under or at that $1K budget. Plus, none of this even addresses the psychological part of this such as dealing with things like a straight week of rain. Anyway, that’s just my take…good luck.

Your AT section hike will be great, enjoy it. Amtrak services Staunton, near Waynesboro and also Harpers Ferry, so you will have easy transportation options at the end of your hike.

Good luck and have fun!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    this is one of the post that stands out the most for me, joe is a stand up guy,it was great to meet him, and yes he rocked the trail for $1,200. but i can't stop thinking that not only was it 200.00 more than the OP wants to spend on his 2012 thruhike, but joe hiked it in 2002 and portions were bigger and prices on everything were less. not sure if you can(don't know you) but rock on :-)
    Thanks Crumb.
    Your point is a good one, food prices are much higher now then they were ten years ago...
    (which makes me realize that in exactly one month(March 17th) it will be the tenth anniversary of the day I met you on Springer and started my thru hike)

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Many facts about thru hiking the AT on $1K have been stated, but no one has summarized everything. So using the assumptions from the question that was originally posted, the OP is going to attempt to average 20 mpd and hike the whole trail on $1K. Breaking this down results in about a 4 month trip (a little less 120 days, although a few zeros will likely be required), and an average budget of $8.33 per day (for 120 days).
    Good thing The Place is closing. If he stayed there he'd only have $3.33 to spend on food that day. Town food.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Thanks Crumb.
    Your point is a good one, food prices are much higher now then they were ten years ago...
    (which makes me realize that in exactly one month(March 17th) it will be the tenth anniversary of the day I met you on Springer and started my thru hike)
    didn't call you out to make you feel older :-) everything revolves around the price of gas? food delivery to stores,shuttles ,everything! how much was gas ten years ago?
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 02-17-2012 at 19:17.

i always said don't go by that "dollar per mile advice anymore" i think more would be better,but i would advise to at least have a dollar per mile, my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i always said don't go by that "dollar per mile advice anymore" i think more would be better,but i would advise to at least have a dollar per mile, my two cents
    I thru'd on a dollar per mile!

Twenty years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I thru'd on a dollar per mile!

Twenty years ago...
    And some feel it can be done for $.46 today!

If I started with $1000 I wouldn't plan on hiking much past Pearisburg or Troutville. Waynesboro tops.

I first heard the $1/mile on Five Million Steps, which I believe came out in 1987...I heard it again on 'How To Hike the AT' in 1991, that was 21 years ago!

Call me crazy but is it really all that hard to raise $5000 for one of the best experiences you might ever do? People come up with 5 times that for silly things like weddings and cars...why not hiking?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    And some feel it can be done for $.46 today!

If I started with $1000 I wouldn't plan on hiking much past Pearisburg or Troutville. Waynesboro tops.
    Exactly...and Waynesboro would really be a stretch, Pearisburg is about right if his shoes last that long, I usually get right around 500 miles out of trail runners. On $1000, alot of first time hikers I know would be broke in Erwin or Damascus due to 'unforseen' circumstances.

Images

On the morning of my fourth day on the trail(we camped at blood mtn.) many of the people I had camped with the previous two nights stayed at the hostel at Neels Gap.
    I had absolutely no desire to stay at a hostel after 3 nights out. It didn't fit with the way that I wanted to hike the trail, to be out in the woods.
    I think the vast majority of people have that mindset though(nothing wrong with it), which is why most people suggest bringing more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    wow. issues. you wanna be a masochist, run this race under 9 hours like me. the AT is not much of a challenge
    http://www.eco-xsports.com/events/mmtr/
    I must say that i am impressed, and i am sorry TOMP, i didnt mean to say all of that as a quote, i meant to quote you and add to it with my own worlds, i apologize. And sorry to everyone else, i kinda of feel like an ass, i got heated and said some things i didnt mean. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Many facts about thru hiking the AT on $1K have been stated, but no one has summarized everything. So using the assumptions from the question that was originally posted, the OP is going to attempt to average 20 mpd and hike the whole trail on $1K. Breaking this down results in about a 4 month trip (a little less 120 days, although a few zeros will likely be required), and an average budget of $8.33 per day (for 120 days). So based on that here are the things to consider:
    • You need to buy food every day, and preferably should attempt to eat a somewhat rounded diet so as to not lose too much weight.
    • You need to budget for other consumables (batteries, stove fuel, first aid items, etc.).
    • You’ll need money to repair or replace and damaged gear.
    • New footwear will likely need to be purchased at some point.
    • What if you require treatment for something that can be resolved where you can finish your hike (e.g. many hikers have contracted some type of viral or bacterial ailment, gotten treatment, and been able to finish in the same year). You’ll either need to quit, or budget in money to cover treatment. You’ll also have to plan to recover whilst camping in the woods since there is no budget for a stay in town.
    • You’ll need to budget money to get to the trail at the start and back home at the end.
    So, to conclude you’ll have a budget of $8.33 per day to cover food, other consumables, gear repair/replacement, replacement footwear, potential treatment for a health issue, and travel. I haven’t thru hiked, but after laying all that out it seems to me as though things would pretty much have to go perfect to be able to come in under or at that $1K budget. Plus, none of this even addresses the psychological part of this such as dealing with things like a straight week of rain. Anyway, that’s just my take…good luck.
    I appreciate your input, and to address a few things quickly.
    I have full health insurance
    I have antibiotics in the event that i do contract a bacterial infection, viral would be a different story
    the 1k budget does not include travel to the trailhead, that is covered, and i only live about an hour from Katahdin, so thats covered as well.
    I also have purchased spare batteries, shoes, and have other back-up gear as well including a spare tent, sleeping bag, and jackets.

does that make it sound any better.
    I plan to mail-drop at least 50% of my food, and i estimate needing a new fuel can every 15 days, as i dont plan to cook with it every day.

Again thank you.

Again everyone, i feel i need to address a few things. I seem to have stuck my foot in my mouth in a few ways.
    I do not "demand" respect for my military service, i just wanted to use it as a point that i have "stuck it out" before, im not just a kid fresh out of high school talking out my ass.
    I realize that my budget is low, i will increase it to at least $1,500, and possibly more. I have dedicated my evenings as of late to the logistics of this trip as you have shown me my how naive and arrogant i was about the hike.
    I intentionally gained weight to where i am, i am in great shape, i just consumed more calories then i burned, its very easy to gain weight. ATM my 5K is hovering around <20 mins so im definitely not out of shape.
    I was in the Air Force, and its not the same as it was 20 years ago, we have recently adopted almost an identical basic training as the Army.
    I was "trolling"
    I didnt mean to offend anyone that had completed the AT, or had the experience with hiking to provide insight for my trip.
    I was not whining about the people that did offer "constructive criticism" and i am sure that those people are not offended, i simply wanted to point out the people that felt the need to personally attack my statements and my goals, and attempted to offend me. If you did not do this, you will not care, if youre offended, then im talking to you.
    My OP did seem juvenile, unprepared and bluntly, a bit dumb. i apologize for the fiery debate that ensued.
    Thank you to all that provided the constructive, and useful information that i used to reassess my situation, and make the necessary changes.

I was NOT "trolling" ughh typos

to the OP; I say go for it. What's the worst thing that can happen, you're off the trail and out of money after so many days.... You'll still have more adventures and stories then 99 percent of the general population ever will.

Images

Definitely not. Not by any normal standards.

If you are asking, I would say no. If you possibly could, you would know the answer, not the folks here on WB.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++