WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default BackCountry Boiler(BCB)

I do use and like this stove and also have the Bushcooker as a woodburner appeals to me. I don't hear much about the BCB, do the hiking community just think it is too heavy for a long hike on the AT and favour an alky stove. I feel a fair bit that way myself and have used an alky stove on the AT. I do realise a fuel issue can be overcome with three stones and little cook fire.

AT 2012

might take a look at QiWiz's firefly stove if you are interested in wood burning. with esbit backup it seems flexible enough and light enough to work quite well. good luck!
    Lazarus

Images

It's not too heavy. Not even compared to an alcohol stove. Not when you consider that carrying an alcohol stove means carrying fuel.

Devin has had a tough time finding a good reliable manufacturer, but I think the stove will be worth it if you can get your hands on one.

El Sordo
    Images

FWIW, the idea has appeal, but it looks a bit top heavy. I suppose you could brace it with rocks. I used a Sierra Zip Stove for awhile which also relied upon indigenous fuel, but in my case the pot was always soot covered and wet fuel didn't really burn as well as supposed. The AT corridor is pretty well picked over by shelters and to a lesser extent by established campsites. I guess there are always twigs, just not sure about the practical use in wet weather.
    Dyslexics Untie!

I do have the BCB and it does have advantages over the Bushcooker which I also have i.e no soot on pots, easier to feed but the Bushcooker is lighter and more versatile re cooking. Devin has done a great job bringing this stove to the market but I just wondered if hikers on the AT are embracing any wood stove or are they put off by the issue of looking for wood. I will have to have a go at using one of those graphs about to help what the lightest set up is. Right now I think it depends on the the length of the hike and where.The alky stove has advantage it you can get regular fuel supply and buy by the ounce,which unfortunately it isn't a concept we have in the UK.

try a alcohol in it i got a kelly kettle it works in it ok see it on you tube at [ rjburg ]

Images

Use the bushcooker. I like being able to see the fire while it's heating the water. Easier to manage the fire if you can see it. Can't see inside the BCB.

Wood pellets are on their way for you to test in the Bushcooker

1azurus,the QiWiz stove looks good ,there is similar stove in the UK called the Pocket stove, you can use a Trangia stove in it as well as Esbit. Sometime ago I did make a Nimberwill Nomad stove, the advantage with these types of stoves is that you can feed/push larger twigs in as the fire burns,a bit llike a camp fire but on smaller scale.

Just to mix it up a little, I saw online (not in person) two stoves that appear similar to the BCB. The Kelly Kettle and the M Kettle.

http://www.campsaver.com/camp-hike/s...tove_type=5281

Images

Quote Originally Posted by English Stu View Post
    1azurus,the QiWiz stove looks good ,there is similar stove in the UK called the Pocket stove, you can use a Trangia stove in it as well as Esbit. Sometime ago I did make a Nimberwill Nomad stove, the advantage with these types of stoves is that you can feed/push larger twigs in as the fire burns,a bit llike a camp fire but on smaller scale.
    The Nimlewell is nice. Most copied of the wood stoves.

(quote)
    The beauty in “Nomad’s Little Dandy” is its sheer simplicity.
    Construction is very easy using common, inexpensive materials. The stove is
    lightweight, stores flat, requires virtually no pack space and is a snap to
    assemble and use. The floor is the secret to the stove’s functionality, for the
    floor gets the fire off the (usually wet) ground away from the fire-snuffing
    moisture. Having an open end instead of a firepot (like most wood burning
    stoves) permits the use of much larger and longer limbs and sticks. Once the
    fire is going the tinder is simply fed into the box as it
    burns.

Hint - if you burn off the condensed creosote from your pot
    after cooking, it will still be black…but not dirty! A little practice and
    you’ll be boiling with the best in no time; you’ll be toting only four ounces
    and you won’t need to go to town to refill your bomb canister!

This stove
    was made in about 45 minutes in my shop with materials from spare gear (and
    scraps from under my workbench), and then carried and used for the entire 298
    days and 4400 miles during “Odyssey ’98.”

++ New Posts ++