WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Which headlamp would you recommend?

I need a light that's at least strong enough to leave the tent to pee safely in the middle of night and preferably strong enough to pack up camp and start hiking just before dawn. I don't need multiple intensities, a red light, strobe, etc. Just bright, strong & lightweight with a reliable on/off switch that'll last at least 1000 miles. Adjustable angle and using AAA batteries for power would be nice but are not essential.

Images

Zebralight makes some good lights. I like them because they get dim enough not to blind you while reading in your bag, but bright enough and with a light pattern that you can light up animals in the distance. That light pattern also makes it better for night hiking than pure flood lights. Their headlights have a 90° head on the end that allows you to remove it and hold it in your hand, which creates better shadows for safer night hiking.

Here is their spreadsheet of current and upcoming products.

I linked to the spreadsheet so you can choose your brightness and battery type.

I wish they made a CR123 version of their H600. I love the brightness of that headlamp, but don't need all that battery life. A CR123 will last weeks for me, maybe months.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Anything that takes 3 aaa batteries and puts out at least 70 lumens,

I like the Petzl Zipka Plus myself.

Images

The Black Diamond Spot is a good compromise between features and weight. It takes 3 AAA batteries. The Spot has a bright main beam (I think the current model is 90 lumens), and a separate set of two low-power LEDs for close up work like reading or setting up a tent. Both can be adjusted from bright to very dim. There is a separate red LED for night use, and once it's in night mode it stays that way until you decide to return to the white beam (no more 90 lumen white light blinding you or your tentmates at night.) Finally, it has a lockout feature that keeps the switch from turning on in your pack - no more taking out a dead headlamp. The whole thing weighs around 3 ounces with batteries.

The Spot is often on sale for around $30-40.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

the boys are right. Get one that uses AAA batteries. Mine is really light but uses a fancy battery. It was a gift however

My favorite if I'm not night hiking, and just need light in camp is the Petzl eLite. 1 oz. Use this all the time.

If I know I'm going to be night hiking on a trail that might be hard to follow after dark (not the AT, but other trails less well traveled and blazed) I do have a brighter and heavier headlamp that takes one AA battery. I probably only use this one once every 1-2 years.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I used a Photon Freedom LED light last month on the AZT. 0.4oz which includes two 2016 wafer batteries. I purchased a couple dozen batteries real cheap off the net and bounced them ahead.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The Black Diamond Spot is a good compromise between features and weight.
    This is the lamp I have and am quite happy with it.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Another vote for the Black Diamond 'SPOT'.

I was just talked into buying this light at the Sundog Outfitters store in Damascus... I am glad I gave in... beats all the other headlamps I had hands down.... the new one is just as Bigcranky said, but is 100 lumens.

Edit to correct: I bought the 'Storm' not the 'SPOT' that is why it is 100 lumens... same features otherwise though.
    Last edited by Sailing_Faith; 06-25-2012 at 18:35.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Petzl tikka Plus...I even accidently put in a washing machine with my clothes and it worked fine after I picked it out of the machine. I like the two candle power settings.
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

ZebraLight H51...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

I use this one. I know it is out of stock on Amazon, but I'm sure you can find something similar for under $10. It uses those big flat lithium disc batteries (like big watch batteries; CR123?). It isn't terribly bright, but will do the job that you want done. It provides plenty of light for night hiking, getting up to pee, and see to pack up camp. It doesn't have multiple intensities - but it does have a strobe - nor a red filter. It is amazingly light weight as it is designed for a child.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    I use this one. I know it is out of stock on Amazon, but I'm sure you can find something similar for under $10. It uses those big flat lithium disc batteries (like big watch batteries; CR123?). It isn't terribly bright, but will do the job that you want done. It provides plenty of light for night hiking, getting up to pee, and see to pack up camp. It doesn't have multiple intensities - but it does have a strobe - nor a red filter. It is amazingly light weight as it is designed for a child.
    So, it appears that Energizer has (almost) taken up the mantle with this headlamp, which has the same battery type, light weight, and single LED, and sub-$10 price. What it lacks is a clip and the ability to swivel it in to position.

Default High Tech Petzl

Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a pretzel tikki (with the 1 square led). I use it a lot. On a good day, I might walk from 10 am to 1 am.
    David Smolinski

Images

light and cheap. i have a smallish petzl and a small black diamond. both take AAA batteries. you'll be surprised how little light you'll need to hike out pre dawn with. your eyes will be pretty sharp in the darkness...

unless it is winter time i wouldn't overthink or overspend this.
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Just ordered the remix pro from the Clymb this morning. Only 66 grams with battery, and only one battery the CRL123 - same as I use for my Steri Pen. Batteries are cheap - lithium so good in the cold. http://www.theclymb.com/brand-event/...%202XU%20Blurr

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The Black Diamond Spot is a good compromise between features and weight. It takes 3 AAA batteries. The Spot has a bright main beam (I think the current model is 90 lumens), and a separate set of two low-power LEDs for close up work like reading or setting up a tent. Both can be adjusted from bright to very dim. There is a separate red LED for night use, and once it's in night mode it stays that way until you decide to return to the white beam (no more 90 lumen white light blinding you or your tentmates at night.) Finally, it has a lockout feature that keeps the switch from turning on in your pack - no more taking out a dead headlamp. The whole thing weighs around 3 ounces with batteries.

The Spot is often on sale for around $30-40.
    +2 on the Spot. Also has strobe, red LED"s also dim. The little booger seems to run forever.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Black Diamond Spot vs. Zebralight H51

Black Diamond $40, Zebralight $64
    Black Diamond 3.2 oz w/batteries, Zebralight H51 3.0 oz w/nimh batteries and headband and even lighter with a lithium battery or 2.2 oz with battery without headband
    Maximum light output: Black Diamond 90 lumens, Zebralight 200 lumens
    Minimum light output: Black Diamond 4 lumens, Zebralight 0.2 lumens
    Black Diamond headlamp only, Zebralight is headlamp or flashlight
    Max battery life: Black Diamond 50 hours, Zebralight 384 hours
    Both appear to have a stronger spot with some flood, although the Zebralight H51 is available with other beam patterns and also different warmths of white

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++