WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sorry about that. For a minute I thought I was on Facebook.

Think what you will but I would if I could, but I can't so I won't!
    Buy the ticket, you take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson

I'm glad to see that many people on here feel that thru-hiking while collecting unemployment is wrong. Whether or not UI can be considered welfare couold be debated; what is not debatable is the fact that the person collecting must be actively looking for work. I have been collecting UI for 10 weeks. Each week I am required, according to the state of Virginia, to make 4 contacts each week. If I move, I am required to register with the local unemployment office in the new place. Each week, I am required to report those contacts. I must be available and willing to work. If not, I cannot collect UI. Sure, I could lie but then my moral character would become more obvious. If caught, I could be required to repay all the benefits I have collected. I don't have that kind of green. So, I look for work. I report my contacts. And because I do the right thing, I find a job (yes they are still available, you just have to look). If you choose to hike while collecting UI though, go ahead. You'll be in great company with all the other hikers who feel they are entitled to special treatment and are exempt from the rules.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Journal Entries

I met a couple of guys in Damascus that were signing on in the local town libraries as they thru=hiked the whole trail
    they had two years of payments coming to them

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    I'm glad to see that many people on here feel that thru-hiking while collecting unemployment is wrong. Whether or not UI can be considered welfare couold be debated; what is not debatable is the fact that the person collecting must be actively looking for work. I have been collecting UI for 10 weeks. Each week I am required, according to the state of Virginia, to make 4 contacts each week. If I move, I am required to register with the local unemployment office in the new place. Each week, I am required to report those contacts. I must be available and willing to work. If not, I cannot collect UI. Sure, I could lie but then my moral character would become more obvious. If caught, I could be required to repay all the benefits I have collected. I don't have that kind of green. So, I look for work. I report my contacts. And because I do the right thing, I find a job (yes they are still available, you just have to look). If you choose to hike while collecting UI though, go ahead. You'll be in great company with all the other hikers who feel they are entitled to special treatment and are exempt from the rules.
    Well said.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

The UC program is unique among U.S. social insurance programs in that it is funded almost TOTALY by either federal or state taxes paid by EMPLOYERS.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    an employee pays into unemployment compensation. it ain't welfare

This is not true at least not in NC. I own a business and umemployment insurance is paid buy the employer and they have to repaid all money drawn against them.

What do you guys think of people collecting disability while hiking? A friend of mine who is deaf is thinking of hiking w/ me. I don't have a problem with it. (I invited him) But I'm curious as to what others may think. If it's a problem, we'll just say he's retired or whatever.

Images

disability for being deaf? Did it happen as an accident? The only reason I ask is I have been an ASL interpretor and have known many Deaf people. I think they would be pissed if other people thought they should be on disability just because they were deaf. ...but I wouldn't have a problem with hiking while on disability.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    an employee pays into unemployment compensation. it ain't welfare
    Incorrect. It's the employer who pays into the unemployment fund, the employee pays nothing, unless they are self-employed.

Quote Originally Posted by MJW155 View Post
    What do you guys think of people collecting disability while hiking?.
    No problem with it but don't mention on the trail that you or your friend are collecting it either. It will only lead to sour grapes.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ok just got off the phone with a Lawyer who has many employees - a relative of mine - Some states are different and here is what it is for PA/NJ - its a safety net of insurance -- in the last ten years things have changed - the employer and the employee pay the state money for the fund... in the short term its a safety net.. because we are in difficult times the govt has been supplementing it... as he put it the longer you stay out at $500 a week there is no incentive to apply to get a job again if offered 700 dollars a week, when you can do nothing until the benefit runs out... hence the unemployment rate is huge due to folks that haven't worked in two or three years not being counted - so when - its 9percent - it obvious its higher.... and can be construed as welfare after a while....

so if you hike while collecting - I would be disappointed - and I hope you keep it to yourself around the campfire at the shelter.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    disability for being deaf? Did it happen as an accident? The only reason I ask is I have been an ASL interpretor and have known many Deaf people. I think they would be pissed if other people thought they should be on disability just because they were deaf. ...but I wouldn't have a problem with hiking while on disability.
    He had menegitis as a baby. It doesn't surprise me that people in the deaf community would be offended. I know a lot of deaf people don't think they have a disability.

Images

work is good for you.

Panzer

Guess, I am an up standing kinda guy........

I would not hike while receiving an unemployment check and pretending to look for a job as I hiked.

I would not hike while on disability........

Just isn't how I roll

Really depends on the disability. Sometimes disability is for terminal diseases. If you have two years to then spending time doing what you love while you can is OK. Not sure being deaf qualifies as a disability without any job possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone:1255941
    Guess, I am an up standing kinda guy........

I would not hike while receiving an unemployment check and pretending to look for a job as I hiked.

I would not hike while on disability........

Just isn't how I roll

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Really depends on the disability. Sometimes disability is for terminal diseases. If you have two years to then spending time doing what you love while you can is OK. Not sure being deaf qualifies as a disability without any job possibilities.

He's been collecting disability since he was 18 for the medical insurance. He has had jobs as well. He's out of work now and that's why he might hike. As far as I know he's not collecting unemployment.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSchwartz View Post
    No problem with it but don't mention on the trail that you or your friend are collecting it either. It will only lead to sour grapes.
    For the record I am 100% disabled, I have been disabled for 30+ years. I will be hiking the trial in 2012. If you, anyone or someone would like to discriminate against handicapped people, I would sure love to hear their reasoning for being so bigoted. What the F? My 21 year old son and I will be hiking this year, and from the tone and attitudes I see on this forum, I can see that I am glad I will be bringing a hiking partner; I really hope to stay away from any narrow minded bigots on the AT who feel disabled people like myself are somehow less than welcome on the Appalachian Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Badspeller View Post
    For the record I am 100% disabled, I have been disabled for 30+ years. I will be hiking the trial in 2012. If you, anyone or someone would like to discriminate against handicapped people, I would sure love to hear their reasoning for being so bigoted. What the F? My 21 year old son and I will be hiking this year, and from the tone and attitudes I see on this forum, I can see that I am glad I will be bringing a hiking partner; I really hope to stay away from any narrow minded bigots on the AT who feel disabled people like myself are somehow less than welcome on the Appalachian Trail.
    I agree. I don't have a problem with it. But people don't realize that deaf people are handicapped. If someone is blind, you know he's blind. He's got a walking cane, a dog, ect. If he's paralyzed, you know it. But it's not so obvious w/ a person is deaf. I thought it was funny when someone mentioned getting a job. Who's going to hire someone that can't hear a phone or the door when someone knocks on it? LOL.

Default employment

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i worked for 34 yrs and my employer paid into my fund. they gave me $480 a week for 18 months. it was great.
    but the $110,00.00 job w/benefits was better.
    we are all in this thing called life together and some are aware of this more than others.
    Practicing walking with full pack with differing weights through the lake "deed restricted" etc. community where i currently keep clothes, with two
    Australian pups one of the 4 police officers (yes this community even is it's own political body) stopped me because a "neighbor" thought it "odd" and what was my business in this upscale place (also growing facial hair i intend to shave when i reach the Maine summit). So i look like an "unemployed" burglar.
    When one drives through the diminished sections of large cities does one assume every individual has wrong intentions?
    i personally welcome all hikers on the trail as i meet them-the long the short and the tall. With no opinion on their walk through life only where it intersects with mine. thank you and good night.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++