WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i worked for 34 yrs and my employer paid into my fund. they gave me $480 a week for 18 months. it was great.
    but the $110,00.00 job w/benefits was better.
    I am an accountant, I pay our companies unemployment premiums every quarter. Perhaps there are a few states where the employee pays a portion of the state premium, most are 100% paid by the employer. The Federal unemployment tax is 100% paid by employers. That is a fact, look it up.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i worked for 34 yrs and my employer paid into my fund. they gave me $480 a week for 18 months. it was great.
    but the $110,00.00 job w/benefits was better.
    hiked the last 2 months of it. kayaked every day thru the rest.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

In most states the employer pays into the fund, not the employee. My experience is that many people abuse the system to a certain extent. Remember the Seinfeld episode with George and Vandelay Industries?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    I am an accountant, I pay our companies unemployment premiums every quarter. Perhaps there are a few states where the employee pays a portion of the state premium, most are 100% paid by the employer. The Federal unemployment tax is 100% paid by employers. That is a fact, look it up.
    NJ employer pays all work comp. i know because i am self employed now and pay for employees.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ncmtns View Post
    Just wondering... has anyone ever heard of collecting their unemployment while hiking the trail? Maybe putting in applications on a town day? I know states have their own particulars...
    I like it. Go UL and mooch food. Then tell your benefactors how you're financing the trip after you mooch. Too funny.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    are you saying that a person receives back only what they put in? If so, great.If not,then it is a form of welfare.
    4 shot LW is RIGHT! when you are working your employer and the employee pays for that situation... so you are off base - IT IS NOT WELFARE! -wrong.......

After reading more that was an emotional answer.... we all pay into the "insurance" and government supplements after it runs out.... I had old information as things really do change.... We all pay in every day... a little and it goes into a group coffer. to be paid to others who need it until the cut off..... Then they fall off the count.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    In most states the employer pays into the fund, not the employee. My experience is that many people abuse the system to a certain extent. Remember the Seinfeld episode with George and Vandelay Industries?
    Series? you base your information on TV? wow.......

And I asked my wife on your employment check its the "PA Unempl EE" or state witholding $1.44 per 2 weeks..Yea you pay a little look again at your state wihholdings....
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 02-19-2012 at 21:13.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

In Illinois--for the extended benefits (after 26 weeks)--the rules are as follows (from the official State Website):

• "You must make a sustained and systematic effort to find work. You must have at least five employer contacts per week and apply for work on at least three days during each week you are claiming. Your efforts to find work must be continuous throughout the week. On each normal work day, you must take some positive action to find work. If there is a day in which you make no employer contacts, you must, for example, prepare a resume, contact a union or professional organization, etc. You must look for work that pays the minimum wage or your weekly benefit amount including any supplemental unemployment benefits, whichever is more."
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by karo View Post
    Allegheny you are correct, unfortunately it only lasts a certain period that you do not have to look for work and there are other stipulations. It is still no picnic, I was laid off indefinitely for almost 2 years. I could not leave my family during that time so no thru hike for me. I now work in Ohio and don't know when I will get to return home. But I am thankful I have a job and my time towards retirement is still ticking.
    I have not worked much in the past few years so UC is not very much. I will not file for benefits on my thru, It's not worth the lose of future benefits if found out. I'm betting that the economy gets better when I'm done.
    I hope you get back home and work picks up for you Karo.

I have always thought it was unemployment insurance that my employer and I payed for, not welfare.
    Last edited by ALLEGHENY; 02-15-2012 at 23:58.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    Just curious, how many are required? Does anyone know?
    in Ohio requires hours not apps talking 120 hours per month - to employers and would last three months.... after that, screwed. Volunteer or die....

Volunteer is working in a soup kitchen or retirement hospice....Seriously I have a relative in that situation....

I don't mind the thread - lets all really try to avoid the polotics to keep this dialog open....
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 02-15-2012 at 23:48.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    In Illinois--for the extended benefits (after 26 weeks)--the rules are as follows (from the official State Website):

• "You must make a sustained and systematic effort to find work. You must have at least five employer contacts per week and apply for work on at least three days during each week you are claiming. Your efforts to find work must be continuous throughout the week. On each normal work day, you must take some positive action to find work. If there is a day in which you make no employer contacts, you must, for example, prepare a resume, contact a union or professional organization, etc. You must look for work that pays the minimum wage or your weekly benefit amount including any supplemental unemployment benefits, whichever is more."
    they told me, go hiked. you ain't getting no yob.

Images

This may be too political for WB...but, I am not comfortable financing another's thru-hike. Hikers should be self sufficient imo.
    While I agree that hikers should, indeed, be self-sufficient, you are not, at least not directly, financing another's hike. (Of course, if you buy a product or service provided by the hiker's current or former employer, you are helping to finance his/her hike through her/his earnings form that employment.)

Unemployment compensation is (or at least was) financed by a tax on employees' pay. IIRC, employers pay 1% of the first $8000/yr. The rate is increased based on the "experience" of the employer: if the employer regularly lays people off, then it pays more.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    No, the employer does. The cost of unemployment is ultimately paid by everyone. So, yea, it is a lot like welfare.
    Yup. Not really sure what else to say...

It is something though, the idea that an employer has to pay for someone because they used to work for them....

... I have a lot to say, but will respect the non-political nature of this board.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Images

cmon kids. whether you view unemployment as welfare or not, getting back to the OP...yeah, it is unethical and crap if you hike while collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Classic, but in NJ they dont even ask if you have been looking for work, you just say that you did if you want to collect. Its the honor system and its wide open for abuse. Also in NJ a little comes out of every check to pay for your up to one year of unemployment. With the recession I think you can do 2 years if you can prove if you qualify and I dont know what qualify would entail. So if you work 30 years and then get laid off you are probably getting back what you put in. But under 5 years its mostly the government giving you money.

Much of the cost of unemployment is paid by taxpayers. Much of this cost is coming frim the professionally unemployed. I waste time often interviewing potential applicants that have no intention of being hired. They tell you things about disliking the type of position they are applying for. North Carolina has about a 10% unemployment rate and we struggle to find applicants with the desire to do the jobs. We can teach skills but cannot teach desire.

In my opinion taking a five to six month vacation while drawing unemployment is wrong.

Employers look at it as it costs me X amount of dollars to have an employee, so it matters not whether unemployment insurance is paid out of a person's salary or if "the employer pays it" for the simple reason that the money is always coming from the employer to begin with...its a cost of having an employee and paid for the benefit of the employee.

And its an insurance program...one that is mandatory...you don't get a choice...you have to have it. If some people can get back out of the system money which was forcibly taken from them to begin with I have a hard time arguing that they shouldn't do it.

And its pretty funny how many recipients suddenly find a job in the last two weeks before their unemployment runs out.

North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Vermont, New Hampshire, Oklahoma City...these are all places where the unemployment rate is about 5% or lower...if I lost my job tomorrow I'd be packing up and moving to one of these places, at least temporarily.

This may be too political for WB...but, I am not comfortable financing another's thru-hike. Hikers should be self sufficient imo.
    I'm not comfortable in the way...my tax money paid for your poor educational upbringing. As I have said in other posts...everyone pays into unemployment regardless if they dont its illegal. Good idea from the member who went to each shop to apply...a legal way and truly a unique way of finding employment.

http://unemploymenthandbook.com/unem...yment-benefits
    "Simply put unemployment insurance fraud is a crime in every state and punishable with fines and even imprisonment."
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    I'm not comfortable in the way...my tax money paid for your poor educational upbringing. As I have said in other posts...everyone pays into unemployment regardless if they dont its illegal.
    My poor educational upbringing? LOL. as far as the second part of your post, there is conflicting data within this thread rom what I can tell as to whether or not an employee contibutes anything to unemployment insurance. Some say it is all from the employer which then is distributed back through the government. Of course, I do have poor reading comprehension and am too lazy to do my research.Does this entitle me to anything?....I'd like to hike again.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++