WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default meal prep for dummies

Ok,, forgive me for being a dumb a@#, but can someone walk me through this? lets say you have a s.p. ti pot 900 to boil water in. a light my fire ti spork to eat with. what do you pore the hot water in ? bowl? bag? how big of bowl? how big of bag? someone said once thay took 1 mountain house meal & used the bag it came in to eat out of the rest of the trip. saw a post of useing a freezer bag. i guess im over thinking this but would like your input. tks
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

Images

Here's how I do it (but there are many ways):

http://watermonkey.net/2011/12/27/co...drating-meals/

Bowl? What's that? I have a pot and a spoon - all you need. And maybe a pot scrubber if your not paying attention and burn dinner - which is in the pot.

Mountian house meals you cook in the supplied bag. Freezer bag cooking is similer, but you use an insulated ziplock. This in theory saves fuel, but now you need to clean and replace freezer bags. I just cook in my pot, as do most people.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a ti pot like your's (i think). i use an empty "ez mac" microwave cup for drinking (yeah - the ones you get for $0.49 and just add water and microwave ez mac into a "meal") - it's insulated and super light-weight, cheap - plus, my alcohol stove (soda can) nestles inside the cup - the cup fits in the pot.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

love the jar/bowl/pot what ever you want to call it. where do you get it? or what's it from?

Images

It's a country time lemonade or koolaid container

RR - thanks for the tips. Some good stuff.

I suggest two things. First, get a long handled spoon. You don't need a spork, and having something with enough reach means you don't get food all over your hand when nearing the bottom of your meal.

Second, I do freezer bag cooking, and what I did was cut down a lightweight plastic deli-lunchmeat container so that it's a 'bowl' about 1" deep. This holds my ziplock steady while I eat, which just makes things easier. Keeps me from burning my hand too. Weighs maybe 1/2 ounce, if that much.

Mostly I cook and eat out of the .9 pot. I also carry a plastic cup made from the bottom of one of those red plastic 1 lb coffee "cans". Cut it to just fit in the pot with the lid on.

I have to disagree with the call to avoid sporks. A spork makes it easy to eat fish, noodles, eggs, etc. If you need a long-handled spoon to eat out of a bag, then clearly you're unable to roll down the top of an open bag. Plus, there's the delightful experience of saying "spork."

Spork. Just say it with me. Spork. Spork.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

The nice thing about Mountain house type or freezerbag cooking is that you never burn anything and never need to wash your pot. Great for shorter hikes where you aren't resupplying from a trail grocery store or gas station. On a thru hike, probably just cook in the pot and eat out of the pot for logistical simplicity.

Spork... Nope, does nothing for me.

I don't do the noodle thing, that's why I FBC. And if I needed a fork, I'd carry one. A spork makes a lousy spoon and an even worse fork.

http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101 That is my walk through of the styles of cooking
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

Everyone prefers something a little different. I mostly prefer to dump my food an water into my pot to cook and the eat from the pot. I like both Packit Gormet and Hawkvittles and they work well that way. Mountain House and Backpackers Pantry are meant to be hydrated in the packaging.

I use either a Imusa mug or a Snow Peak cook set, and i use a German army folding fork and spoon. fold it open and one end is a spoon and the other the fork... none of that silly spork stuff.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

spork spork spork spork yea kinda funny after a while. thank you all for the words of wisdom.

Images

I boil water in my pot, pour it into the Ziploc freezer bag with the food inside of it, then I put the Ziploc back inside the pot, closed up. Put the pot in the cozy, put the lid on, and let it sit for however long I need it to sit before I can eat it.

old school from nam. put rice spices and water in baggie, put baggie in sock, place next to bady. at end of day supper is heated and youy are ready for bed, no cooking. lol wayne

Images

Default re: meal prep for dummies - Freezer Bag Cooking

I use freezer bag cooking. I found Sarah's TrailCooking.com site and tried it out at the office. I have since used it on two long sections of the AT with no problems. I like that I don't have a dirty, greasy pot to clean and FBC eliminates need for soap, disposal of waste water, etc.

I use a mylar Bubblope from The Container Store for my freezer bag cozy. Its only $3, folds, and is very lightweight. It also has velcro and keeps everything inside hot. (Oatmeal apparently shares thermodynamic properties with pizza sauce.)

http://at-trail.blogspot.com/2010/04...ag-cozies.html
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I have one of those squishy bowls for when I want to feel human, most of the time I just eat out of the bag, freezer bag, packit gourmet, or hawkvittles. Oh and Maryjane's.

I hold onto my hot freezer bags in a Fozzils collapsible bowl (at least, I do that on short trips when I want a little luxury). I'm sold on it-- even though it adds about 2 oz of weight to my pack, I've found it makes eating out of the bags easy. Plus, it can be used as a cutting board and a mug.

Oh, yeah... If you don't like the sound of "spork," try this: foon.
    Last edited by RodentWhisperer; 02-19-2012 at 10:48.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++