WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: AT speed record

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    I seem to recall another recently that talked of "shattering" the record. I would think a mere simple goal of beating the current record would be a bit more humble. He is a wee bit more qualified than some of our recent attempters. I have run the DRT trail as part of the Georgia Loop and it is certainly not an easy trek. So maybe he has a shot. But frankly he reminds me an aweful lot of Sam Fox, young, talented but without a clue of what it will take to do high mileage day after day.
    Bingo. I give him a 5%-ish chance, which is significant, but no chance unless he has a support crew in the fashion of JPD.

As to direction, it would have to be NOBO if he's starting in May, no? Unless maybe very late May.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    50 miles per day for 43 days? NOBO or SOBO? either way i don't see it happening
    Would add that 50 mpd average likely means making quite a few 60 plus (maybe even 70) mpd days on easier sections of the trail. Lots of small sections (not just in New England) just don't lend themselves to running due to the nature of the footpath - rocks, roots, mud, etc. Loads of injury potential. Can't imagine anyone doing 50 mpd average through ME and NH - but I could be wrong. At least this guy has a resume and is somewhat reserved / respectful about how difficult his attempt is. I hope he makes it.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

I so hope I will be able to wear the same brand of socks as the Appalachian Trail record setter.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

So a professional athlete writes a polite email asking for corporate sponsorship and offering product promotion in return. (BTW - this is how pro athletes make a living, including your favorite nascar driver) He's already got some big name sponsors and a web site getting some good hit numbers. Instead of ignoring it, or refusing, or taking the offer (you know, the things a professional would do), you decide to drag his name through the mud on a notoriously nasty board. No class baby, no class.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    So a professional athlete writes a polite email asking for corporate sponsorship and offering product promotion in return. (BTW - this is how pro athletes make a living, including your favorite nascar driver) He's already got some big name sponsors and a web site getting some good hit numbers. Instead of ignoring it, or refusing, or taking the offer (you know, the things a professional would do), you decide to drag his name through the mud on a notoriously nasty board. No class baby, no class.
    pretty nasty post to boot, and all in all this has been a fairly balanced discussion.there are more than a few posters here that have no issue with it.
    but if you choose to incite the nasties...

Images

I'm not sure this guy ranks up there with nascar drivers. and I don't think I would get much advertisement from his trail as he won't be using a tent (oh he was asking to advertise my socks! I forgot, I'll have to go make sone silnylon socks for him - they might get a bit slip slidey on the trail that way.

He could have been a bit more careful in the email.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I'm not sure this guy ranks up there with nascar drivers. and I don't think I would get much advertisement from his trail as he won't be using a tent (oh he was asking to advertise my socks! I forgot, I'll have to go make sone silnylon socks for him - they might get a bit slip slidey on the trail that way.

He could have been a bit more careful in the email.
    You said he pisses you off, is fishy, wants stuff for himself, and you hope he fails because you like JPD. And you got folks saying he's a fraud, they plan to trip him, hope he gets bit by a rattler (what kind of loser would say this?), etc. This has nothing to do with how "careful" his email is.

How would you like it if he and his friends started posting online reviews saying your gear is crap and customer service sucks and you commit fraud?

You should have just hit the delete key.

Images

Professional Athlete???? That is a big stretch....
    Now if he even finishes, I'll be congratulating him. If he breaks the record, I'll be more than astonished.
    He is good at what does now, but there are 100's of non-professional athletes that have logged distances much further and would have a much better chance. This is just not something that most endurance athletes want to take on. The guy has more than guts to step up to the plate and try something like this. If he doesn't make it, who is going to loose? He may make it 800 miles or maybe 1800 miles. That is still a big accomplishment.

I think the question really is... should he be sponsored and funded knowing he has never made the attempt before? Did Horton, Palmer, Thompson, and others who were better qualified get any sponsorship?

...and another question... should someone who promotes businesses through sponsorship use a National Scenic Trail and a couple of National and State Parks?

Images

You said he pisses you off, is fishy, wants stuff for himself, and you hope he fails because you like JPD. And you got folks saying he's a fraud, they plan to trip him, hope he gets bit by a rattler (what kind of loser would say this?), etc. This has nothing to do with how "careful" his email is.

How would you like it if he and his friends started posting online reviews saying your gear is crap and customer service sucks and you commit fraud?

You should have just hit the delete key.
    I will hit the delete key from now on on this thread - you are looking for a fight, I'm not biting, I responded to your post politely, you are being a troll. Have a good day.

Has anyone ever attempted a yellow blaze speed record?

Images

Yes, its called auto racing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Has anyone ever attempted a yellow blaze speed record?
    Well, I got a buddy who is running across the Country San Francisco to Key West) starting in a few days. He is raising money for "Wounded Warrior Project". He hopes tp go 45 miles a day for 80 straight days. I'm not sure there is any speed records for that distance.
    http://www.veteransenterprise.com/in...across-america

Images

Actually Warren Doyle did it in less that 24 hours a year or so ago. Walked Springer, drove to Baxter SP and walked Katahdin. Now that's yellow blazing!

Images

Wow! I seem to recall that now. Supported or unsupported?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Apparently he is running right now from Athens to Atlanta (around 80 miles) and then will run a marathon in Atlanta Sunday morning.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/does-runni...s-1388872.html

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zigzag View Post
    One of my pet peeves are trail runners in the Whites. Yep, we have some nice trails off the AT that are fine but I hate you tell you how many injuries we have up here. Most of the SAR's don't even make the news. I've had runners go by me on Lion's Head or down Valley Way. I said something to several young fools on Mount Adams last year that were in fivefingers & they yelled at me. Last I saw, one had fallen & was limping down. What's the rush?
    One of my pet peeve as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I'm trying to figure out the difference between a handout and a donation. Please elaborate.
    He is at least honest about the fact he is bumming off others. From his site " Run Bum Sean is taking runnin n bummin to a new level."

The update from his FB page

"to everyone who has helped and who has believed in me i am sorry after puking and the other thing everywhere for the last couple of hours from what must have been from drinking some bad water... I am officially throwing in the towel for the Appalachian Trail after 6 days of heaven and hell. A long story to come. It was the best of times it was the worst of times. PS I NEVER WANNA SEE A MOUNTAIN TRAIL AGAIN ha! I will say I am now a different and better person for this. Thanks to all who helped I can't thank you enough!!!!!!!!"

How many pairs of shoes did he go through?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Was he on the trail long enough to need to recharge his mp3 player?

This guy is another prime example of why experience and wisdom matters much more than physical fitness. He was in fantastic physical shape, but was off the trail after 200 miles while doing an average pace of 30 miles a day. A really good long distance walker would have done as much, or more, possibly much more, and for much longer.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++