WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clingman to Asheville?

Hi,

Iam planning a 4-5 week hike starting on Springer Mountain. My plan was to go to Hot Springs and try and get a lift to Asheville (looks like 90 bucks is going rate). I notice the Mountains to Sea Trail diverts at Clingman's Dome and appears to go right to Asheville. Anyone familiar with this trail? Any advice would be vry helpful. I have been toying where best place to get off AT would be, thought about pushing ahead to Erwin. This looks like a different thing to do, so might be pretty cool.

Thanks.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I am a FMST member.

To tell you the truth, if you are just wanting to get to Asheville, it would be easier to just stick with the AT and pick up a shuttle/ride at Standing Bear Farm near I-40, Hot Springs, Sams Gap/I-26, or Erwin.

The MST leaving the Smokies is incomplete. It requires significant road walking to the next foot trail section at Balsam Gap near Waynesville. Currently, NPS has closed the initial route through the tunnels along the Parkway to foot traffic. Although some progress in trail building has been made. An alternate route using secondary/back roads from Deep Creek/Bryson City to Sylva to Balsam Gap is currently being used. There is another route that follows the BMT to Balsam Mtn Road to Heinatooga Road to the Parkway. Check the map overlay at ncmst.org.

After Balsam Gap, it is a big climb up the Balsams and long walk to Asheville. You will either be walking next/near the Parkway, or be completely walking in remote areas away from everything.

The MST in this area requires a lot of planning/research; knowing your boundaries, where to camp (you cannot camp on NPS lands/Parkway right of way; there are plenty of obvious places where you will be on USFS lands), and where to supply.

Great trail with great views. But its not an easy side trail or shortcut alternative to Asheville.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 05-15-2014 at 09:39.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++