WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    How is anyone supposed to take you seriously now?

just kidding
    what you mean? what's changed?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    Time to buy Snickers stock, then, because the purchase amounts are gonna double.
    they just announced a stock split.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Not a marketing gimick. They are being pressured by the federal government to reduce the calories to meet some new guidelines.
    all they have to do in that case is have the label say 2 servings, instead of one(this is the cuter marketing gimmick).. problem solved.

Time to switch to Fast Break http://www.hersheys.com/reeses/produ...candy-bar.aspx even made within sight of the Trail near Waynesboro, VA

Am I the only one who sees this for what it is, reducing product size to save money because the input costs have gone up. Now they can give you 10% less snickers for the same price. The 250 calorie or less nonsense is just a smart marketing making the best of a production decision.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    in all my years and miles on the AT i can say i never ate a snickers bar. or pop tarts
    What about your non AT life? Have you been interested on snickers bars? Do you like them?

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    This just in. Snickers bars will only be available in 250 calorie or less sizes.
    HERESY!!!!! To the GALLOWS with ye, M&M Mars!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

They will keep the price the same...its a cost cutting measure that will increase their profit dramatically with the side benefit of all the free publicity they will get.

They still make the 1lb pack of Reese's cups:

http://www.battlegrip.com/?p=33863

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    They will keep the price the same...its a cost cutting measure that will increase their profit dramatically with the side benefit of all the free publicity they will get.

They still make the 1lb pack of Reese's cups:

http://www.battlegrip.com/?p=33863
    Officially 12 (!) servings: http://www.hersheys.com/reeses/produ...-cups/1lb.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    What about your non AT life? Have you been interested on snickers bars? Do you like them?
    no. not much of a candy eater. i like gummi bears though

snickers are the wonder food of hiking!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Snickers are overrated anyway. Now if they reduced the calories on honey buns or whoopie pies, I would never hike again!

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    Am I the only one who sees this for what it is, reducing product size to save money because the input costs have gone up. Now they can give you 10% less snickers for the same price. The 250 calorie or less nonsense is just a smart marketing making the best of a production decision.
    Anyone on here old enough to remember when Hershey's sold a chocolate bar for a nickel? When the first sold it, it was a full size bar and they had to keep shrinking it in order to keep the price at a nickel. Eventually it was so small that they had to stop selling it. Leanthree, you haven't discovered some amazing piece of marketing or economics, it's just a natural progression.

a 5 cent candy bar 5 cent popcorn and 10 cent movies i am old lol

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oops56 View Post
    a 5 cent candy bar 5 cent popcorn and 10 cent movies i am old lol
    30 cents per gallon gas, using Mom's Fury III at 12 mpg. Flip the air breather top over and it sounded awesome. I used $60 one month on Dad's credit card and walked/biked for the next two months!

Paydays for me!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Anyone on here old enough to remember when Hershey's sold a chocolate bar for a nickel? When the first sold it, it was a full size bar and they had to keep shrinking it in order to keep the price at a nickel. Eventually it was so small that they had to stop selling it. Leanthree, you haven't discovered some amazing piece of marketing or economics, it's just a natural progression.
    Really?? I'm older than you, and the cheapest I can remember candy bars being priced is $0.40 to $0.50 range. I also happen to have a small collection of WW1 and 1920s era candy bar wrappers. They are all labeled in a 1 to 1 1/4 ounce size. On the other hand most "standard" size candy bars on the shelves at my local WaWa are 1 1/2 ounce. Where did the shrinkage come in?

And while I dont doubt there is some benefit to candy manufactures downsizing their larger portion packaging, its not much. The reduction in the Snickers from the king-size to the duo is a difference of .11 ounce... thats right tenth of an ounce. However, much of the push to make portion reductions has come from European governments rather than just the manufactures themselves.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 02-17-2012 at 14:43.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, I heard Michelle Obama say it was Bush's faul : O /
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Really?? I'm older than you, and the cheapest I can remember candy bars being priced is $0.40 to $0.50 range. I also happen to have a small collection of WW1 and 1920s era candy bar wrappers. They are all labeled in a 1 to 1 1/4 ounce size. On the other hand most "standard" size candy bars on the shelves at my local WaWa are 1 1/2 ounce. Where did the shrinkage come in?

And while I dont doubt there is some benefit to candy manufactures downsizing their larger portion packaging, its not much. The reduction in the Snickers from the king-size to the duo is a difference of .11 ounce... thats right tenth of an ounce. However, much of the push to make portion reductions has come from European governments rather than just the manufactures themselves.
    I didn't say that I remembered the $.05 bar. I was just asking if anyone else did. A quick search of the internet will give you the history.

Hershey Chocolate Company began marketing its standard size chocolate bars for a nickel ($.05) in 1900, setting a standard for the United States confectionery industry that continued until 1969.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Not for long, it's a conspiracy. Smaller portions to fight obesity.
    Can I still but Nutella by the quart?
    Probably to cut production costs...bet the price will remain the same for the smaller sized bar(s).

Sorry...I repeated what Leanthree and Bronk said in earlier posts. Guess I should read the entire thread before spouting off!
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 02-17-2012 at 15:34.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Noooooooooooo!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++