WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Socks. Nido.

Images

Adding to a lot of the above:
    Mini hand sanitizer bottles or refill capability.
    Aluminum foil if used for cooking, pot lids, windscreens (buying a whole roll is pretty inconvenient).
    Replacement duct tape to refill any used.
    Spare pair of shoelaces in case needed.
    Down wash in case you have to wash your bag.
    Permanone to retreat clothing if its been washed out.
    Suitable needles and threads to sew anything you did a temp repair on (clothing/equip).
    Pack repair items (those little plastic buckles / sliders, etc).
    A few extra safety pins to replace lost / given away ones.
    First aid refills (band aids and meds like immodium, benadryl, etc if used) - I only carry a couple of doses of anything with me.
    Spare spoon/spork.
    Spare pens, pencils, paper, etc.
    Pack Pins / rings if you use an external pack.
    Stove repair kit maybe for white gas stove users.
    Bics or matches.
    Candles if used.

Extra ziplock bags (assorted sizes) always come in handy. (I also try and get to a toy and hobby store before I hit the trail and get some itty bitty ones that coin and stamp collectors use......they've very handy for such things as spices, vitamins, medications, batteries, etc.) Also, in the months ahead of your trip, take the TP rolls out of your bathroom when they're half done and throw 'em in a box. Then, later on, you can toss a "short" roll in each maildrop....you'll never have to buy or carry a full roll.

I forgot to mention one other: I went out a bought a bunch of "Thinking of You" type cards and included a book of postage stamps.

At various town stops along the way I'd get the cards out of my bounce box, write a personal note to my girlfriend and/or family back home then mail them off. They appreciated the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    being from philly, tastykakes and soft pretzels. candy that i didn't find, like good-n-plenty and mike-n-ike. a pair of socks.
    Tastykakes! I had my mom send them to me all along the trail! They were my mid-morning snack every day!

I had a scented candle in my bounce box. A really nice one in a tin. Pole tips. Special candy. My friends dehydrated mangoes and strawberries and tomatoes and red peppers. That was luxurious.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

I have found putting in a encouraging note to yourself helps as well to keep your mind right

Images

Febreeze. Your pack will need it.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Febreeze...wont even touch it you have to Lysol the pack.....especially by Harpers Ferry and probably closer to the end of Summer you will need another application. The bacteria begin to have a field day living on the pack, padded hip belts and especially the back pad area! Check the hiker boxes once in awhile, I found it once at the Big Walker Hotel in Bland and my pack needed it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++