WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: cozy

When you start again please pm me, will buy one. I cant sew for crap.
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

Tramp, in the meantime, you can make a cozy by sandwiching bubble wrap in between two layers of aluminum foil. Use duct tape to hold it together. Mine lasted a summer of frequent use before falling apart.

Default Another good cozy material...

Buy an insulated reusable shopping bag. They are only $1-2. They have a fabric covering over the aluminized insulator. Cut the bag to the required size for your cozy and sew it together. You can add Velcro tabs where required to keep the cozy snug on your pot. Sewing eliminates the need for tape and keeps the cozy lightweight. The fabric acts as a potholder to prevent burning your hands and provides a better grip in wet conditions.

Here are some pictures of a cozy I made for my camp cup:
    Attached Images Attached Images

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Buy an insulated reusable shopping bag. They are only $1-2. They have a fabric covering over the aluminized insulator. Cut the bag to the required size for your cozy and sew it together. You can add Velcro tabs where required to keep the cozy snug on your pot. Sewing eliminates the need for tape and keeps the cozy lightweight. The fabric acts as a potholder to prevent burning your hands and provides a better grip in wet conditions. Here are some pictures of a cozy I made for my camp cup:
    That's great ! I will look in to that. got the reflectex stuff and made a cozy for my country time jar, works good . made one for a qt. freezer bag but its too stiff not very packable. cloth one i think will pack better. still just playing around with diff. options. saw a video where the guy only had a cozy for his cook pot, a snow peak 700 i think, he put the FB in the pot cozy, put the lid on it, then used the cozy as a bowl/FB holder to eat out of. i like that. all packed away together in 1 stuff sack.
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

I've used a homemade f/b cozy for a couple years now. However for my thru this year I made one for a 3 cup rubbermaid bowl, have to leave the lid off my pot when packing, but it fits pretty nicely. And it's reusable so I'm not wasting so many ziplocs.

I have had knee problems in the past and carry a neoprene knee brace. I stitched the bottom and use it as a freezer bag cozy. If I should need the brace I simply remove the stitching. It washed easily and dries quickly too.

Images

Good thread. Lots of good info. I learned a few things from this thread.

Thank you!
    skinny d

Images

I have a 3/8 inch blue sleep pad, can I use some of that for a cozy????? I was thinking about cutting off a piece from the bottom and fitting it to my cook cup using duct tape---any ideas????

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    I have a 3/8 inch blue sleep pad, can I use some of that for a cozy????? I was thinking about cutting off a piece from the bottom and fitting it to my cook cup using duct tape---any ideas????
    I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'd test it first to make sure the foam wouldn't melt against the hot metal. Maybe lining the inside with aluminum foil would prevent that if needed.

ey everyone, I will have cozies back up on our website by tonight - 4 prints in stock plus 7 more coming soon!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

I have one. They're great cozies!

And I have them back up now Happy to be back in production!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Sarber, I didn't see your website listed
    Anywhere in this thread. Would you please post it?

Look in her post trailer, but it's www.trailcooking.com.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++