WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default The Most Influential Posters of Whiteblaze History:

I have been around WhiteBlaze.net for a few months and do not know much about the history and the influence of different members on this website yet in my short time I have found that some posters/members have more juice and their comments are more educated and hence they are more respected than others.

I personally have some posters/members in my mind but I have not been around long enough to dare to name them as the starter of this thread. It is up to you to choose among them and list your candidate here. It is somehow a way to appreciate their dedication and let them know that they have been influential in a good way to make this website better everyday.

Hopefully they are all alive but there might be some posters that are not among us and have a place in your list.

By the way, the title of this thread came to my mind after reading the thread about the most influential backpackers of all time which is an active thread right now.

Yours
    Kookork

Images

ShelterLeopard, but she doesn't like us anymore.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Images

Well, for me it had to be SGT Rock. Even though I am still not a hanger or a total alcohol stove convert, nor really a gram counter either...but I did follow his advice on Makers Mark. His inputs here on WB are missed.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

#1- kookurk.
    actually , some of the most influential posters have been banned here.
    the poster i miss reading the most is matthewski.wish he would get a new computer(no spellcheck.)

Matty

I still have this urge to kill the Queen........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Everyone seems to respect LW's opinion, even if they disagree with it.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Who's Minnesota Smith. I'm reading Winton Porter's book Just Passing Thru and he talks about this guy. Must have been before my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Who's Minnesota Smith.
    Probably the LEAST influential WB member ever.

After visiting WB as a guest for over five years and never becoming a member until just recently, I've read on this site for hundreds of hours, and gained a wealth of information, more than I could ever imagine. So I'm happy to spout off a few respected names that come to mind:

Cookerhiker, Blissful, & Big Cranky for their acquired knowledge, detailed descriptions, etc

Tipi Walter's trip reports are always a great read, but his trail journals are my favorite.

Jack Tarlin's information & opinion is greatly respected by me, as I respect the man a lot.

Lone Wolf's posts have, over time, become shorter & saltier. Always enjoy what he has to say.

Honorable Mention: Gray Blazer, Crumbsnatcher, thats all I got for now.

Images

i like any poster (not poser) i met on the trail, trail towns or events. i trust their opinion because i've seen them out there. some advice on here is from people that have NOT long distance hiked. i've made the mistake of taking it and regretting it. i learned more between the falls and hawk mt. shelter then from anything i read. there were at least 14 posters on Spinger giving me great advice and 4 walked and talked to the first shelter with me.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

The MOST influential WB member ever has got to be Jack Tarlin. No one else is even close.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by UHFox View Post
    Everyone seems to respect LW's opinion, even if they disagree with it.
    I am happy with saying that he is the most controversial character here. One thing about him is clear to me , he believes what he writes( I might not like his tone here or there) and for this simple reason he has my respect

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Matty

I still have this urge to kill the Queen........
    What is the story behind ?

Oh yeah, and Garlic(08). This guy knows what he's talking about.

First off, I'd like to mention some people who have made really valuable contributions to this site, but who you probably won't find in the midst of "controversial" threads:

Veteran -- he created the Whiteblaze AT Database and the article showing topo maps for all of the AT from Georgia through most of Virginia

Mountain Squid -- He maintains and continually updates the database for each year's hiker class

Jeff (Taussig) -- Owner of the Green Mountain House Hostel in Manchester Center, he recently updated this site's hostel and lodging database

Roland -- He created the Backpack Comparison Chart -- though it's getting outdated now it was a big help to me when I was first purchasing gear

I also want to mention some people who have made intemperate remarks from time to time (unlike the folks in my first group) but who have contributed a lot of helpful information here over the years:

Jack Tarlin -- Largely for, but not limited to, his Resupply articles

Sly -- The current editor of the AT Companion, he often chimes in with the latest info on the ever-changing AT

Sgt. Rock -- Largely for, but not limited to, his gear articles (and for his work when he was co-owner of the site)

And to actually come closer to answering the original question, a couple members who have hiked a whole lot of trails in addition to the AT, and whose hiking philosophy makes sense to me, and so often make right-on-target remarks: Mags and Garlic

Finally, I want to put in a kind word for ATtroll and all the moderators who do the thankless work that keeps the site running.

And I know I'm going to kick myself for leaving out some folks I should have mentioned.
    Last edited by map man; 02-19-2012 at 13:30.

Good post map man
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Jester needs honorable mention. It's a shame that he's still in self imposed exile.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Probably the LEAST influential WB member ever.
    Say what you will, he's one of the only members who's WB antics are known of by people who don't use the site.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Jester needs honorable mention. It's a shame that he's still in self imposed exile.
    Jester has my vote. Not only is he funny as hell, he has helped me with gear choices more then any other person. And his recommendations have been spot on.

Also add 10k. I like reading his posts. Plus he's from Wilmington.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++