WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Marmot Trailwind

This seems like an outstanding deal.

Is this worth it when I already have a rain shell? Seems like people love these wind shells and the water repellency is decent enough to keep you dry.

You can do anything that you believe you can!
    Images

I have this in blue and I love mine. The arms have nice venting underneath. Very wearable, never gets too "muggy" inside. It also works for me if it's really cold at night to wear the hoody while sleeping (double duty item). I've found it does repel light rain and really cuts the wind. And it's sooo light and packable. That's a great price too. I didn't pay retail but I paid more than $30 I bring this thing and a poncho/tarp (for when it's really pouring) and both items have lots of uses.

Now, keep in mind, I am a section hiker, but I still try to go as ultra light as possible.
    Last edited by Prada; 02-19-2012 at 16:10.

I was reluctant to get a wind jacket...but I did. I ended up gong with the NF Verto simply due to the very light-weight. And I have got to say, so far it stays on more than anything else (jackets that is). I love it and I have decided that the wind jacket will here on out be in my pack...or on my body...

You may want to check out the Stoic Wraith wind jacket (at Backcountry.com)...they weigh in at about 2.5 oz and retail at $69, but they sometimes come up on S&C for half that.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

Thanks guys. The stoic wraith looks like a pretty cool jacket too. Perhaps I'll eye up steepandcheap.com for a while. That's always fun for me. I fear getting a size medium with the Marmot since that is my normally size. It could be tough to layer with it without the extra space. With my current shell I opted for a large and that works well if it were to be really cold affording me the ability to stick a puffy down piece under it.

Images

Ooooo

Backcountry.com has them on sale as well.

Images

Thinking about getting the Stoic Wraith.

How is the sizing? It appears by the comments that their products run small. I normally wear a medium but I think I'm going to go with a large since I did the same with my rain shell to allow me room to fit insulation.

Also, is this breathable? It seems the reviews are mixed. I think the main advantage to using this over my shell would be breathability

Images

How much do these jackets weigh?

I have the Trailwind and have used it primarily for running. It is superlight of course, packs into its own pocket. I have the hoodless version but for hiking etc I would probably opt for the hooded version. It breathes well, but doesn't have the rain shedding as some of the other lightweight windshells.

The Wraith was getting high praise on the backpackinglight forum. Backcountry was running them for $29.

Most of these weigh in the 4oz range....
    "The woods do that to you, they always look familiar, long lost, like the face of a long-dead relative, like an old dream...." - Jack Kerouac

++ New Posts ++