WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shoe advice please!

Anyone ever tried any of these shoes and would you recommend them for a thru-hike?

Shoes: Montrail Masochist
    Salomon XA
    Brooks Cascadia 6

Looking for: Fast draining, light, durable, and has great traction on all surfaces including rock.

So, maybe I should ask what shoe works for you?

Images

I have the Salomon and love them. Light, comfy, and just roomy enough in the toe box. They have good arch support with my insert. Good traction. Not sure about the draining bit. I always take em off and go barefoot when crossing water.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rabbit View Post
    Anyone ever tried any of these shoes and would you recommend them for a thru-hike?

Shoes: Montrail Masochist
    Salomon XA
    Brooks Cascadia 6

Looking for: Fast draining, light, durable, and has great traction on all surfaces including rock.
    IMO montrail went to crap when columbia bought them out.

In general I've found the trail running shoes produced by large shoe companies to be superior to those made by trail-running specific companies.

The salomons are ok. I hiked in them for a while. I snapped off one of the lace-eyes climbing a tree and ruined the pair. Never bought another.
    I don't know anything about brooks, but they're a popular brand among serious runners. That's probably a good sign.

You might want to see if there's a running store in your area; you could go there and try a whole bunch on. Footwear is pretty hiker-specific. If that's not an option try a bunch of ideas from Zappo's and mail back the ones you don't like.

In that same class of shoe I've liked:
    Nike Air pegasus (they come in trail and road)
    Asics trail runner (forgot which one)

Other brands to look into:
    inov-8
    Saucony
    New Balance

at some point I switched from trail runners to road runninng shoes. Road shoes tend to be a touch lighter and more flexible, which I preferred over the 'protection'

I wear Brooks Ariels. Brooks insoles just last forever!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Went through 5 pairs of Brooks Adrenalin trail runners with Superfeet insoles on my thru. They held up pretty well for trail runners, about 500 miles each.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Great info! Bought a pair of LaSportiva Wildcats, but they have absolutely no traction on rock, which I could see being a problem on the trail. I think Im leaning towards the Brooks Cascadia 6. I just hope they have the traction I am looking for. I can't find a decent shoe store. All of them have a very limited selection. Guess it will take driving all over the place so I can try on multiple pairs. Was just looking for a place to start.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

http://www.fleetfeetjohnscreek.com/

http://www.bigpeachrunningco.com/

just google search for 'running store' in your area. There's a whole bunch. Tell them what you're doing and what you're looking for.

Images

The Salomon XA come in the XA Pro and the XA Comp. Having used both, I prefer the XA Comp. They are softer and more flexible. The show is a little narrow and low volume, and it has the lacing system that you either love or hate (love it!), so it's best if you can try them on somewhere.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Saucony? I would never recommend to anyone. It is my opinion they are a horrible shoe. The Zappos idea is a good one. Pricy but the best customer service there is. Once ordered an item at 10:45pm & it was on my porch 5:00pm the next day. And their returns are so easy.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I'm also a Salomon fan and have the XA Pro 3D Ultra. Love 'em! I'll definitely agree with Big Cranky and say that you will definitely either love or hate the lacing system (Love it!), so it's best to try them on and give it a try before spending the money. If you have a good outfitter close to you, head that direction, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I say for price & comfort; New Balance & Merrill.

++ New Posts ++