WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

In 2010 I was with a small group and we hitched into Helen. We had two Germans who loved the place. It was on a German public television show so they knew about it. We stayed at the Helendorf Inn which had a great hiker rate for the early season. I think rooms were $30.

So we had fun. It was worth it for us.

Images

I like Helen. They have putt putt.

Good to hear you have a gig at Mt. Crossings. Try to stay out of trouble

God bless you as you help others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Sinner:

As many folks have already pointed out, most section and longer-distance hikers prefer Hiawassee to Helen for various reasons......better and more reasonably priced facilities and services; ease of getting in and out of town, etc.

I strongly suggest you pick up one of the standard 2012 A.T. guidebooks that annually tell folks about goods, services, businesses, etc. Using one of these books will greatly aid your planning and will tell you everything you need to know about what services are available where.

I will will be helping out on the staff at Neel Gap this spring. If we can help you with anything, please call us (Mountain Crossings, (706) 745-6095. Please be aware that you can send mail/supplies here as well as purchasing them here.

There is no "fee" for having mail/parcels sent here. A small donation for maildrfops is requested ($1.00) which goes into a general fund that is most frequently used for food, cookouts, services, etc., in addition to helping defray the cost of the many free rides and services offered by the facility and/or its staff on their own time. But we do not "charge" for holding mail. Sinner, if we can help you in any way, please give us a call.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Helen was my only town stop on my 10day Springer to Franklin section hike last April. It was a pretty nice lil' town. Lots of hotels and good restraunts to choose from, there's a dollar general (reccomend stopping here first, better prices than the grocery), a laundrymat and a small grocery. Everything a hiker could need except an oufitter.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Helen was my only town stop on my 10day Springer to Franklin section hike last April. It was a pretty nice lil' town. Lots of hotels and good restraunts to choose from, there's a dollar general (reccomend stopping here first, better prices than the grocery), a laundrymat and a small grocery. Everything a hiker could need except an oufitter.
    Not sure I understand, If Helen is the only place you stopped are you saying this is the only place to stop, or it is the only place you know to stop? I stopped in there on my hike with intensions of staying all night and left 30 minutes after I got there. I personally thought Helen was a crummy place for hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    You know, you are correct and that is a real disservice to hikers. I thot these books were supposed to be written by hikers who know the area. Big oversight.

My ancient Philosophers Guide shows both Helen and Hiawassee as options at Unicoi. It gives a write up for Helen and says to see Dicks Creek for the Hiawassee write up. At a minimum that needs to be done.
    I never really thought about it until Ron pointed it out to me recently, and he probably wouldn't have thought about it until he bought a place in Hiawassee. As far as I know it's been like that forever. Maybe the former editors wanted to spread the wealth so to speak. However, to say it's doing the hikers a disservice is bunk and hyperbole. Helen has a number is inexpensive motels including the Helendorf, Super 8, Days, Ramada, Rodeway and Quality Inns. It has lots of resteraunts, a Dollar General, a food mart and also, if I'm not mistaken, it has bars if you're inclined to have a beer or a cocktail, that Hiawassee doesn't have.

Anyway, you're making mountain from molehills, as most hikers hike through Unicoi Gap to Dick's Creek anyway and anyone with a map could figure it out on their own.

You've probably read my sig for three years now and I never heard a peep. It will be corrected and added in 2013

I wasn't planning on going into Helen, but when I got to the road someone pulled over and offered me a ride...I thought it was a nice place...probably a little more of a tourist trap than most hikers want to encounter, and maybe a little more expensive, but not every town is built for hikers. I thought it was a neat place with some unique features. Nobody complains about Gatlinburg...not sure why the issue with Helen...I stopped in Hiawassee too...nothing wrong with that place either...got a good steak and some freshly squeezed OJ.

Images

I personally don't care for the touristy' ness of Helen. A few years ago my son and I stopped at the store across from the state park at Tallulah Gorge. They have a bulletin board that has a dozen or so FAQs. One of them is, "How do I get to Helen?" We laugh still laugh about that. When I'm in that area, I want to know, how to avoid Helen.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Oz View Post
    Not sure I understand, If Helen is the only place you stopped are you saying this is the only place to stop, or it is the only place you know to stop? I stopped in there on my hike with intensions of staying all night and left 30 minutes after I got there. I personally thought Helen was a crummy place for hikers.
    It was just the only town stop that I made. Yes it has a bunch of touristy stores. But the town was clean and the people were friendly. Everything was convenient for what I needed/wanted to do (resupply, laundry, dining, hotel).

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    It was just the only town stop that I made. Yes it has a bunch of touristy stores. But the town was clean and the people were friendly. Everything was convenient for what I needed/wanted to do (resupply, laundry, dining, hotel).
    yup. nice little town. i prefer it to hiawassee

Howdy all. Ok leaving in ten days for the trail. Getting food together now for the first few days. Trying to decide however on where to stop for my first resupply. I have 5 days of food ready to bring. Which from my calculations would put me near Hiawassee. I am in great shape and see no reason why i could not start out averaging 15 mile days at least. I plan to try and average around 22 mile days in the end. Is this a reasonable resupply point or should i carry less food and supply earlier? Thoughts and reasons?

Eric
    ------------------------------------
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    ~Robert Frost

I'd start off with 3 days of food and when I got to Neels Gap (you'll walk right thru an outfitter) I'd buy whatever I needed to get to Hiawassee.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I'd start off with 3 days of food and when I got to Neels Gap (you'll walk right thru an outfitter) I'd buy whatever I needed to get to Hiawassee.
    How many days to Hiawassee and then how many days to the Fontana post office?
    (sorry for the OT but I am trying to plan a pre smokies mail drop at the Fontana PO)

edit: looking at my THC I see there is Franklin and NOC after Hiawassee - maybe I should start a new thread

Last edited by Mike2012; 03-03-2012 at 17:44.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2012 View Post
    How many days to Hiawassee and then how many days to the Fontana post office?
    (sorry for the OT but I am trying to plan a pre smokies mail drop at the Fontana PO)

edit: looking at my THC I see there is Franklin and NOC after Hiawassee - maybe I should start a new thread

4 to 5 days to Unicoi Gap and 6 or 7 days to Dicks Creek you can go to Hiawassee from either one of these gaps. 6 to 9 more days to Fontana. It is 98 miles from Dicks Creek and 115 from Unicoi to Fontana. At Robbinsville they are a motel now with shuttles. It is called the San Ran Motel 828-479-3256 http://ronhaven.com/info

Hey by all means HYOH, don't fall into the must do trap of going to the regular haunts of the other hikers. Going into Helen saved me years ago in a terrible storm. First car that went by was going in that direction and I took the offer of a ride out of the storm and cold. Never regretted it. Didn't care for the Alpine motif but I got out of the weather. Now it seems that the pro hostel/motel crowd always want to lure you in and next thing you know you are zeroing more than you want spending money like crazy, oops can't keep hiking, not enough money. HYOH>

Images

Neels is a 2-4 day hike from Amicalola SP - you walk right into an outfitter shop with great people so that is an obvious short term re-supply - (say hi to Lumpy and Jack) - - Hiawasse would be a much better 2nd re-supply than Helen, BUT there is kind of a nice gourmet type grocery (expensive for a thru-hiker - maybe ok for a section hiker) - don't know the name but it's on the edge of town - - not right in the middle of the Bravarian Stuff - - Once again, I'd skip Helen but if you do end up there, that store would be a good place -- I think they have good sandwiches and pizza and stuff too. - It's not the USUAL place for hikers but you should HYOH - so, "to Helen with you; you ... Sinner."

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Hiawasse would be a much better 2nd re-supply than Helen, BUT there is kind of a nice gourmet type grocery (expensive for a thru-hiker - maybe ok for a section hiker) - don't know the name but it's on the edge of town - - not right in the middle of the Bravarian Stuff - - Once again, I'd skip Helen but if you do end up there, that store would be a good place -- I think they have good sandwiches and pizza and stuff too. - It's not the USUAL place for hikers but you should HYOH - so, "to Helen with you; you ... Sinner."
    http://bettysinhelen.com/

there's a Dollar general on the ease end of town, in the double decker strip mall north of the main st.

Images

when I started hiking the trail back in 04, I went to Helen after my meltdown at Cowrock.... nice lady took me to the Helendorf. It was March 17 and I had had a really bad day. After a shower I went across the street to a pub for dinner. Turned out to be St. Patricks day. Day got much better!

So in 2005, I did the same. and also in 2010. I pretty much needed those town stops early in my hike. (stayed at Neel Gap, Helen, and Hiawassee for neros) More experienced hikers can choose just one (and I guess I'd choose Hiawassee for it's lower cost) but there is something to be said for both towns. Betty's in Helen has the freshest, finest sandwiches on the trail. First Baptist Church in Helen did breakfasts for hikers most of March this year. so, HYOK, and enjoy whatever!

Had an English friend who was hitchhiking into Helen and put his thumb out and it was a Sheriffs squad. The car turned on its cherries and he (Longman Walking) was informed it was illegal to hitch hike. The deputy then took him in the back and drove him to Helen. Was a cool story.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++