WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: How is my Load?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by restlesss View Post
    if you want actual advise pm me and I will give you some... but I will say you want to do 25 miles a day with 65 lbs??? That is crazy!!! why do you need a pellet gun? what happens if the wood all around you is wet from rain, are you going to cook on a smoldering "fire"? where are you going for this trip. My pack load is about 20 lbs for a week long trip. I seriously think you need to reassess what you are doing.
    if wood is wet, thats where the flamethrower comes in handy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    I hope we can frack (Is that a word?) under each shelter so I can hookup. I going to send this to BP. I may get a finders fee for each one. Most shelters have priveys next to them so that will save them about 10 feet of drilling.

I tried getting a Sherpa but H1B visas are really tough to get. The form is really hard to read.
    forget visas. theres a sherpa hiring site in almost every town now. just be careful , they hate to be mistaken for mexicans.

Quote Originally Posted by restlesss:1257155
    if you want actual advise pm me and I will give you some... but I will say you want to do 25 miles a day with 65 lbs??? That is crazy!!! why do you need a pellet gun? what happens if the wood all around you is wet from rain, are you going to cook on a smoldering "fire"? where are you going for this trip. My pack load is about 20 lbs for a week long trip. I seriously think you need to reassess what you are doing.
    Humor section. Having a little fun with others who post ridiculous gear list and ask for advise then argue and get insulted. My normal gear is around 25 to 30 for six days.

Can't I just use the Rambo knife and ink from rubbing phone book pages into the cuts? The yellow pages have many colors to choose from. The best section is usually the Chinese menu section. Lots of reds and blues.
    Maybe you should bring 3-4lbs of silly putty and use it to copy the maps. That way you wouldn't have to tear out the maps.
    Buy the ticket, you take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57:1257161
    I hope we can frack (Is that a word?) under each shelter so I can hookup. I going to send this to BP. I may get a finders fee for each one. Most shelters have priveys next to them so that will save them about 10 feet of drilling.

I tried getting a Sherpa but H1B visas are really tough to get. The form is really hard to read.
    forget visas. theres a sherpa hiring site in almost every town now. just be careful , they hate to be mistaken for mexicans.
    Mucho travaho = Easy day in Sherpa

Quote Originally Posted by Juice:1257165
    Can't I just use the Rambo knife and ink from rubbing phone book pages into the cuts? The yellow pages have many colors to choose from. The best section is usually the Chinese menu section. Lots of reds and blues.
    Maybe you should bring 3-4lbs of silly putty and use it to copy the maps. That way you wouldn't have to tear out the maps.
    We have a winner! Next Backpacking Magazine gear of the year award.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57:1257158
    What is a fax? Is that something old folks would know about?
    its kind of an ultra- modern teletype.ask someone who remembers the term "rotary dial"
    Do they have an app for this? I only have a smartphone and a TSR-80 at home. The computer has both a 5-1/2" floppy and a cassette drive. Its way cool. Comes with a blank screen and you enter numbers and words like "if then goto" then with three hours work your name will scoll down the screen made of all x's.

Images

Do they have an app for this? I only have a smartphone and a TSR-80 at home. The computer has both a 5-1/2" floppy and a cassette drive. Its way cool. Comes with a blank screen and you enter numbers and words like "if then goto" then with three hours work your name will scoll down the screen made of all x's.
    my dad had one of the first tsr80s.his had 2 5 1/2 inch floppys no cassette. i think it took him like a month to program "pong"
    you should only know how unforgiving programming was before the advent of DOS.it took me 3 days to create a simple spreadsheet program with COBOL.
    which brings mne to my next question- are you bringing a pet dinosaur?

Images

Well dang, I didn't know the answer had to be a serious one. I see people carrying desktops everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Watson:1257177
    Well dang, I didn't know the answer had to be a serious one. I see people carrying desktops everywhere.
    Of course this is serious! The desk will fall apart the first time it rains. Oh sure you can sit under the desk and stay dry but the cheap partical board will puff up the crumble.

Default Where's your camera?

You forgot to include a camera on your list. How are you going to capture all those priceless trail moments without a camera? I recommend one of these: Hasselblad medium format digital camera. Horseman large format film camera. Pay particular attention to the price/weight ratio. As usual, the ultralight gear costs a bit more!
    Last edited by moongoddess; 02-21-2012 at 18:51.

Quote Originally Posted by moongoddess:1257225
    You forgot to include a camera on your list. How are you going to capture all those priceless trail moments without a camera? I recommend one of these: Hasselblad medium format digital camera. Horseman large format film camera. Pay particular attention to the price/weight ratio. As usual, the ultralight gear costs a bit more!
    The Hasselblad is one amazing camera. Is it waterproof?

I don't think the Hasselblad is waterproof. This might be a better all-weather option. Plus, it shoots video, too!

I recalculated my gear list with all the helpful advise. New pack weight (skin out) is 92# 6-1/2 ounces. Can I use a draft horse on the AT? I would need only two. One for my gear plus the other to carry food for both horses. Also helps in the food department.

I recalculated my gear list with all the helpful advise. New pack weight (skin out) is 92# 6-1/2 ounces. Can I use a draft horse on the AT? I would need only two. One for my gear plus the other to carry food for both horses. Also helps in the food department.
    Don't get carried away, you should be fine with a single llama.
    Buy the ticket, you take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Juice:1257253
    Don't get carried away, you should be fine with a single llama.
    Plus they make a nice sweater. I looked up a llamas load carrying capacity. It looks like I can bring that BBQ grill now.

You can also weave the rope you'll need for your bear-bagging from the llama's coat as well. Truly a multi-use item, that llama!

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    It also makes the maps adjustable! Want to see a small detail more clearly? Pull the Silly Putty out. Want to hike fewer miles and still cover the same distance? Push the Silly Putty together; now's there's half the distance between where you're now standing and that mountain pass you need to reach before sundown. It's magic!

Images

Plus they make a nice sweater. I looked up a llamas load carrying capacity. It looks like I can bring that BBQ grill now.
    i actually remember an alpaca farm somewhere in the whites, and they make better sweaters.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57:1257531
    i actually remember an alpaca farm somewhere in the whites, and they make better sweaters.
    Better sweaters but not real good for pack animals.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++