WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by HT1 View Post
    serrations are a gimmack that has stuck. the simple fact that they cannot be sharpened by the end user guarantees that MOST "professional" users of a knife will not use one. I consider serrations to be "built in breakage" to guarantee return customers.
    They can be sharpened by the end user. There's a large variety of diamond whetstone rods made for the sole purpose of sharpening serrated knives.

I agree with you in avoiding them unless you know you'll specifically need serrations but to say people can't sharpen their serrated knives themselves is quite untrue.

Another vote for the Mora. I like the Clipper carbon steel version if you can find 'em.

Or the HighQ, MG, or 711 carbon here:

http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet...+of+SWEDEN&s=1
    Last edited by Spokes; 02-24-2012 at 18:22.

The best knife is the one you make yourself.You can buy a blank from many places or take an old file throw it in a hot fire to remove the temper and grind it,add a handle and you have got a knife you would be proud to pass down through the family.and it will take an edge like no other if you use good carbon steel.Cheers

......Or perhaps consider a nice throwing knife?

http://www.knife-depot.com/throwing-knives/

[QUOTE=slims;They can be sharpened by the end user. There's a large variety of diamond whetstone rods made for the sole purpose of sharpening serrated knives.

I agree with you in avoiding them unless you know you'll specifically need serrations but to say people can't sharpen their serrated knives themselves is quite untrue.

Hi...

The indented portions don't even have to be sharpened...!! It is the pointed part of the serrations that do the (rope, etc.) cutting. Just sharpen them as you would the unserrated portion of the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizhicks View Post
    I know it's a little more money than you want to spend, but have you looked at the Izula by ESEE (knife only is 2 oz). I've had mine since early November and wear as a neck kinfe every day; don't even notice it.
    Yeah esee makes great knives.
    I have an esee 4. A little bigger than the izula.

Quote Originally Posted by slims View Post
    They can be sharpened by the end user. There's a large variety of diamond whetstone rods made for the sole purpose of sharpening serrated knives. .
    I've seen them, they are expensive,, very time consuming to use, often work on a limited number of knives correctly... i.e the angles and radius of the sharpening tools are designed for one specific blade, of they are of a "generic " design that does not work best with most knives. Buy a good quality non-serrated blade, a good tristone, and a strope, you will never need anythign else

IN short KISS

Quote Originally Posted by slims View Post
    is there any Great use for a serrated knife then slicing bread?

It's nice that you agree and dont agree with me best of both worlds

Images

I am digging my Kabar Acheron knife so much that I got one for my gf's dad who's also into hiking. He'll be pleased with it when its all wrapped up with paracord and the extra safety features I added to mine.

I use a BudK Ultimate Survivor knife. It's a good survival knife, with a multipurpose sheath. The pummel screws off with a compass on it and some bandages inside of it, and the sheath has a whetstone and slingshot built into it, with a bootlace on one of it's bindings. Inside it there's a small metal bit with some basic survival stuff in it, which is pretty useful but not much to write home about. The blade is about 8 inches or so on mine, with a sawback near the crossguard. I've been able to lop off small branches with it, and I cut myself out of some bramble with this and my folder a few days ago. Overall it's a good blade.

Quote Originally Posted by HT1 View Post
    is there any Great use for a serrated knife then slicing bread?
    If there is I have yet to discover it. My go-to folding knife is a plain edge Spyderco Delica. It pretty much goes everywhere with me and I've never found myself in a situation using it and thinking, "I should have bought the partially serrated version". But then again I don't slice bread with it so that might be why.

Images

Thinking about maybe getting myself one of those Esee Izulas....they seem to be super rugged

Cold Steel Mini Tac Tanto. Weighs about 3oz, secure kydex sheath, 3" blade. I'm just old school SF, so mine is mounted upside down on my pack strap. It goes under some webbing, so all that is visible is the little handle sticking out. The good part is it is very hidden but easy to get too. I feel better having a knife handy, but don't need to look like Rambo walking through the woods. Very happy with this little knife. They also make a couple other blade styles in the mini tac series, so you can get what works best for you.

Images

+1 on the kabar Acheron. I wrapped mine with parachord and the whole thing in the sheath only weighs 1.4 oz.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    +1 on the kabar Acheron. I wrapped mine with parachord and the whole thing in the sheath only weighs 1.4 oz.
    I was batoning with mine the other day and it worked well. I ordered a Becker BK11 and plan on using that since its thicker. I think it can take a beating better.

I stripped and polished my Acheron. Looks pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Have you considered Swedish Mora knives? They made of high quality steels and are light and cheap ($10 to $15). Some models have partial serrations (e.g., #11392). If you can live without serrations, the classic Mora #1 is 2.75 oz with belt sheath and $10 + $6 shipping.
    http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html
    I've used a Mora knife at home and backpacking for a few years now and I love it! As said above, they are made of high quality steels and are nice and cheap. No need for some overpriced Johnny Rambo blade. Even a KA-Bar is too much, in my opinion. It's the AT you'e hiking on, not the Kokoda Trail in New Guinea.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    ......Or perhaps consider a nice throwing knife?

http://www.knife-depot.com/throwing-knives/
    Oh YES Spokes, you rock!
    These below would be ideal for the trail.
    You could easily cut cheese or get that extra dirt from under your finger nails.
    I wonder if the sheath would be too heavy though? May have to go without a sheath for these and just toss them into the pack and go!
    http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-344136.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++