WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default shelter for 2 plus dog

I am in the market for an ultra light shelter that will sleep my girlfriend and I. She has a medium size dog that she loves to backpack with. She would like the dog in the shelter, though I do not want this for many reasons. I'm trying to either find a compromise or at least a shelter that a dog will not tear up as easy (though I personally don't want a dog all over my other expensive UL gear either). I would like a shelter that has detachable netting and is made with cuben fiber.

The shelter that I would really like to get is the zpacks hexamid twin. I had asked Joe about making the netting detachable on a solo-plus sometime ago and it seems he said this was possible, so I am assuming he may be able to work it out on the twin as well. However, I am thinking that it would be nice to find compromise by having the dog sleep under the tarp, but outside of the bathtub floor and netting (so, the vestibule area). Unfortunately, this does not seem possible with the hexamid twin, as there isn't much "vestibule" space. So, I am wondering if a dog inside the shelter floor area and netting is a bad idea for integrity of the shelter if I lose this battle and we end up getting this shelter.

The other shelter I was considering is the HMG Echo II. Though I'd like more head room, with this one it seems that the dog could sleep at our head in the vestibule area.

Does anyone have any other suggestions besides the obvious (which I won't say! ) Thank you!!!!!!

They also sell vestibules that attach to your current tent. It add a little space and are usually around 1lb. But I would definately get something without a bottom so the dogs nails dont destory it.

Images

check out the stratospire 2 by tarptent

I think the Hexamid Twin w/o a bottom is a good idea, and then add one of their ground tarps (or get something more rugged if you like) that will attach to the tent in the corners. If the dog tears it up with his claws or something, you just replace the ground sheet.

Images

My wife and I hike with our 100 pound shephered who comes in the tent with us.
    We use a Tarptent Rainshadow 2 and it has plenty of room for the 3 of us. The dog sleeps down at the foot end of the tent while we sleep side by side with our heads near the door. We haven't had any damage due to the dog, or anything else either. Plus there's plenty of ventilation for both us and our dog.

Yes, take a look at the TT StratoSpire 2 .
    Here is my video on that :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl2V_...6&feature=plcp
    Plenty of room for the dog and a pack inside one vestibule , a pack (or 2 ) in the other and still have a rain protected entry/exit point not requiring to move stuff around as you do.
    Franco

++ New Posts ++