WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Winter hiking with 4 month old boxer pup

What's everyone thoughts on bring my 4 month old boxer pup on an overnight hike this weekend?
    Weather will be low 40a during the day and a low sunday morning around 20 23° with the wind on both days around 15-20mph.. I really want to take her but I'm inexperiencrd when it comes to packing with a dog.. Any suggestiona on how to keep her warm an toasty @ night? she has plenty of day hikes under her belt but just a few hrs at a time

how big is she? got a pitcure you can share :-)

Images

bring a fleece coat for her and let her sleep in your bag with you. a little extra food for her or oil in her food for extra calories. Keep the hike around a similar distance to the other hikes she has been on and I think you will be fine. I would also suggest not letting her carry a doggy back pack til all her growing is done. cheers and I hope you two have a great weekend!

fleece coat?? Petsmart or petco I'm guessing for the dog coat?

Quote Originally Posted by wtmntcaretaker View Post
    bring a fleece coat for her and let her sleep in your bag with you. a little extra food for her or oil in her food for extra calories. Keep the hike around a similar distance to the other hikes she has been on and I think you will be fine. I would also suggest not letting her carry a doggy back pack til all her growing is done. cheers and I hope you two have a great weekend!
    good advice here :-) puppies and backpacks do not mix! have a great hike
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 02-22-2012 at 18:21.

Heresy a pic from like a month or so ago
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

http://www.chillydogs.ca/index.php/product/index/37
    These are great and yes Petsmart and Petco will probably have something similar

Pack a lightweight, quick-dry towel, just for dog messes in the tent; you never know, even when they older

I use a hexamid solo shelter with the floorless bonus so no worries there.. ;-)

Journal Entries

i'm thinking...keep her home...she's a baby still...and that would be asking a lot of a youngin...with the constant walking...weather temps...etc...unless you want to carry her some...anyhoo... hike your hike...and if that means having something to worry about constantly ...then go for it...just my opionion...

Images

She's a cutie.

I would say that if she's liked the day hikes, then the hiking part is probably not a problem. It's the overnight low, and keeping her warm. Does she sleep outside now? You'll likely need to keep her in your bag, so test that with her before you leave, to make sure she doesn't freak out in the confined space of the bag and the tent.

If there's any way that you can do a hike where you can bail out early if there's a problem, that will help. Going with a dog (especially a pup) is like hiking with a baby, you have to be vigilant and have backup plans for your backup plans.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Keep a close watch on her for effects of the cold. As a boxer owner you know they do not have much insulation in the way of a coat. And while the boxer's origins are ancient the breed as we know it today has only been around since the late 19th century - they are really a dog meant to overnight indoors. Both heat and cold can play havoc with a boxer, more so than other breeds. As a boxer owner I wouldn't take my full grown on a winter overnight much less a pup but I realize there are alot of opinions out there. Warm and dry will be the keys to her happiness on this trip. Good luck!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I would be very hesitant to bring any dog of that age on a multi-day trip, especially a winter one. A four month old is big enough for some day hikes but not old enough to put in big miles or deal with the cold the way an older dog could.

If you do bring the dog, it will need to either sleep with you in your sleeping bag, or have its own pad and blanket. The pad is often overlooked, but it is needed for insulation against the cold ground. I use a thermarest z-rest pad for my pointer when she's backpacking with me, I fold it over which doubles the insulation value of the pad and is large enough for her to curl up on.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie2nd View Post
    Heresy a pic from like a month or so ago
    I almost forgot to mention, awesome photo. She's adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by wythekari View Post
    Keep a close watch on her for effects of the cold. As a boxer owner you know they do not have much insulation in the way of a coat. And while the boxer's origins are ancient the breed as we know it today has only been around since the late 19th century - they are really a dog meant to overnight indoors. Both heat and cold can play havoc with a boxer, more so than other breeds. As a boxer owner I wouldn't take my full grown on a winter overnight much less a pup but I realize there are alot of opinions out there. Warm and dry will be the keys to her happiness on this trip. Good luck!
    Well I changed my loop and will be breaking camp a little over a mile from my truck so if need be I can bail and be back at the truck fairly quick.. Your post has me really thinking I may still leave her @ home..
    An thank you everyone for all your thoughts and suggestions

I took my 4.5 month old Border Collie puppy on the NJ section last June. Of course it wasn't cold but we put in 12 mile days. She is a working dog and handled it fine. I live in NJ and plan to go out this weekend, Mount Paul in Morris County. I have no question about the cold but she has a good coat. I can't speak about the Boxer but I started my puppies by hiking every day in all kinds of weather and they have no problems. We now have an inch of snow out and I can't wait to get outside today. Where did you plan to go?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I planned on going from dunnfield creek or copper mine trail off old mine rd to buttermilk falls.. But after hearing everyone's opinions I don't know what to do....

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

ive never had any trouble taking dogs of any age backpacking. i wouldnt hesitate. our newest additions turned 1 yesterday. here they are last year at 10 weeks on a 4 day trip to the mount rogers area.PokeyPuppies-rolypoly.JPGPokeyPuppies-bed.JPG
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lostinfflood View Post
    I took my 4.5 month old Border Collie puppy on the NJ section last June. Of course it wasn't cold but we put in 12 mile days. She is a working dog and handled it fine. I live in NJ and plan to go out this weekend, Mount Paul in Morris County. I have no question about the cold but she has a good coat. I can't speak about the Boxer but I started my puppies by hiking every day in all kinds of weather and they have no problems. We now have an inch of snow out and I can't wait to get outside today. Where did you plan to go?
    Hey, we're talking about hiking with dogs here, not hiking with border collies! Border Collies belong in their own special class!

I wound up having to bail @ mohican center....:-( the wind was too much on my pup.. So we got a 4 mile round trip copper mine and back up copper mine...she was fine while walking but when we stopped for a hot cup a joe she got a bad case of the chills even with a fleece and ground pad... So I made her a beef broth and we turned around and bagged it.. My friends that continued on had a great time. Her next trial for an overnight will be in april.Thanks for all the great advice guysAttached Thumbnails*Attached ThumbnailsClick image for larger version. 

Name: 2012-02-25 10.33.32.jpg 
    Views: 2 
    Size: 536.2 KB 
    ID: 15334
    ***Click image for larger version. 

Name: 2012-02-25 12.17.08.jpg 
    Views: 4 
    Size: 661.0 KB 
    ID: 15335

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++