WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I was hiking in the smokies in the pouring rain...had my hood pulled tight to keep the rain out and my eyes on the ground to assure proper foot placement so I wouldn't trip over a rock or a root...all of the sudden WHACK...I hit my head so hard I literally saw stars and before I knew it I fell backwards into a mud puddle...there was a blowdown that was positioned perfectly so that I couldn't see it from the angle I was looking at the ground but was high enough that I hit it with my head...I was walking VERY FAST because I just wanted to get to the shelter where it would be dry and warm, so I hit that tree at full speed...it hurt really bad, but I found myself sitting in a mud puddle in the pouring rain and all I could do was laugh. I must have sat there in that puddle laughing for 10 minutes. That was the day I knew I was having fun out there on the trail.

Not on the AT, but I remember once when I was trying to bushwhack my way to a cave whose location I knew, but thought a shortcut would take a couple of miles off my trip. Was following my GPS, and didn't realize I had it zoomed in almost all the way... Those contour lines were close, but didn't seem as close as I would normally think for, say, a sudden three hundred foot drop. Stepped out with one foot into thin air and narrowly avoided falling by grabbing a very small, whippy tree. It was a good lesson in keeping my eye on the ground in front of me and not on my GPS.

Journal Entries
    Images

Back in the day. I fell asleep one night in Kay Wood Shelter, got up to relieve myself forgetting where I was and walked right off the edge, tool out and did a bodyplant into mud. Took a second to figure out what happened. Hid my face for the next couple days.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++