Default SOBO Newbie question

I was going to hike the AT this summer, but after much research i feel the PCT is more my style. My question is whether i should hike NOBO or SOBO. I havent done a long hike like this before, i am in great shape, 25 years old, just finished 4 years in the military. i dont however have any experience with ice axes or self-arrest, but i live in Maine, and i could go get one and practice daily with it on some hills here. also i plan to start my hike in Manning Park around early-mid April. any tips would be great.

also, how hard is it to navigate if i go SOBO starting in April. if I need to work on my map skills, ill need to start ASAP.

Images

Very unlikely you would make it far starting in April. Most SOBO start in late June or early July. Last year the one and only southbound finisher started in August but it was a slow meltoff in the PNW last year. If you want to start in April head north.

all i needed to know, thank you. will i still get to see plenty of snow heading NOBO

Garlic
    Images
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

If you're pretty sure you're going for the PCT, I suggest as your first step that you order Yogi's guide, http://www.pcthandbook.com/
    While you're waiting for that to arrive, http://postholer.com has quite a bit of basic information about hiking the PCT in particular, will answer a lot of questions there, likely some you might not think to ask.

Even starting NOBO, I do suggest that you follow through on that ice axe training, unless you can predict future snow pack in more detail than I've ever been able to --- the Sierras in June can be a bit of an adventure, depending on the particular year.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

yayy, lol. im so excited for the adventure, an change in weather and scenery, i cant even imagine, it should be a dream in waking life. and i just ordered Yogi's Book, thanks BrianLe

++ New Posts ++