WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Daily Fitness and Weight Loss Thread.

Anyone that wants to post their daily fitness activities and weight loss progress can post here.
    All encouragement and discouragement and random weather reports or thread drift is welcome.
    I will be making my first official post tomorrow morning, but here is a sample format...

Day 1 - Thursday
    13 pounds to go for first milestone.
    800 kcal exercise today so far. 200 kcal to go for daily goal.

Walked 1 mile with daughter in 18F. Later walked 3 miles + ran 1 mile to Rockwood Park. Lots of snow and wind coming, followed by some rain. Might get out for a ski with daughter. Find I am less hungry today, perhaps because I am feel better for exercising again. Will be trying a diet fairly low in carbs, like 30/30/40 and 2000 kcal per day or less. Best regards y'all.

FWIW,

I have been walking daily since August and eating a low(er) carb diet. I have lost just over 50# as of this morning.... (246# -> 195# this am).

The dietary changes have not been as difficult as I initially thought, and I feel great. My daily exercise has been walking 4-7 miles with my pack carrying between 20 and 60 pounds.

I have been eating some of the products from Doctor's Weight Solutions, they are not 'miracle' type stuff, but just good quality (and eatable) lower carb stuff... the owner of the practice is a member here and a hiker chick. I ate some of the stuff on my November SNP hike (bars and soups) and never felt like I did not have enough calories / carbs.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have been following the Dukan diet and have lost @20# since Thanksgiving. It is a low carb diet that works for me. I have also been walking or hiking daily 5-10 miles 3-5 days a week. I carry a 30-40 lb. pack. If I cannot hike longer distance I walk at least 1/2 hour per day.

I checked map my run and it was a 4 mile walk 1 mile run, but I think I only burn 100kcal per km walking, and 100 kcal per mile running. I'm 213 pounds, plus some winter clothes, and hills. Anyhow, 500 kcal walking and 150 kcal running so far, so I've only burned 650 total so far today, in 1.5 hours, so I have another 350 to go, not 200. Cheers.

Thanks Sailing Faith and Old Boots. Awesome. I will stick to walking and light jogging without extra weight for now, until my left hip feels stronger. I will work in some weights, most most calories will be like you folks. Cheers.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

JAK, you're underestimating your calorie burn for running. While calorie calculators vary somewhat, a good basic rule-of-thumb is (Weight * 0.75) for running and (Weight * 0.53) for walking slowly. So, if you're lugging around 220 pounds with your winter clothes on, you're closer to 165 calories per running mile and 116 calories per walking mile. You might also try to mix it up during the course of your workout, increasing your pace for 30-60 seconds every minute or two. It makes it a bit more interesting, it's not too daunting to consider, and it keeps your heartrate higher than it would otherwise be.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Did my 2 miles and 3 sets of stairs (7 stories) today and will hit the gym tonight. BTW, for you runners/walkers/hikers etc with a smart phone check out the Runkeeper app. It will track your pace, distance, mileage and cal burn. You can even see your route on a map if you enable the GPS.

--louis

Images

Trying to hit the gym a minimum of 3 days a week now, hit the treadmill for 2 miles circuit run/walk at a couple * incline, then a mile at a brisk walk at full incline. Hit up a few machines after that with some light weight, working different parts depending on the day. Crunches and other ab stuff each day I go. Takes about 75 to 90 minutes total.

Still watching my intake...... high protein, low carb, no bread or taters..... maybe some brown rice, big salads, regular veggies, some seeds and nuts for snacks, zero calorie beverages.

Feelin good, hope everyone else can say the same, good luck.

Dave
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    800 kcal exercise today so far. 200 kcal to go for daily goal. Will be trying a diet fairly low in carbs, like 30/30/40 and 2000 kcal per day or less. Best regards y'all.
    What does the "k" stand for?

I've seen other people use this in a similar fashion, but the only thing I can think of is "kilo", the metric prefix for 1,000, but it would make those numbers really large, i.e. 800,000; 200,000 and 2,000,000 respectively.

Sorry about that. I should just say cal for calorie, because everyone knows I am talking about dietary calories, but the engineer can't help saying kcal for kilocalories because a dietary calorie is 1000 calories, the old metric unit of heat. I hope I am underestimating by calories at 100 cal per km walking and 100 cal per mile running, but I like round numbers. I was working from memory.

This varies by the person, but I burn roughly 10 kcal for every bpm above 50. It's not that accurate below 120 ( my 50% heart rate reserve ), or above 160 ( my 80% heart rate reserve ), but it works pretty good for most of the exercise I do. Walking on flats is a bit sketchy, but once I get into hills I am ok. There are better ways to estimate calories walking and running, but it allows me to estimate calories when doing stuff like strength training, circuit training, hiking on uneven trails, and cross-country skiing in different conditions. My 4 mile walk 1 mile run took 1.2 hours, and my HR started at 90-100 on the flats at 6 km/hr, but got up to 120 in hills, and with the 1 mile run I ended up averaging 112. So 1.2 x 62 = 744, so I guess that is higher than I thought. Thanks. I'll re-examine my formula and performance on the treadmill tonight, then work something out that works for me. I like using the heart rate monitor.

Heading to our yurt to shovel snow. . . . does that count for exercise? :-)

I'll start getting serious about it in the spring - going to do some peak bagging 4000 footers in NH to train for 2013. Then I'll start training with pack weight sometime around sept - not just the real hiking miles. That's my plan, anyway.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Sorry about that. I should just say cal for calorie, because everyone knows I am talking about dietary calories, but the engineer can't help saying kcal for kilocalories because a dietary calorie is 1000 calories, the old metric unit of heat. I hope I am underestimating by calories at 100 cal per km walking and 100 cal per mile running, but I like round numbers. I was working from memory.

This varies by the person, but I burn roughly 10 kcal for every bpm above 50. It's not that accurate below 120 ( my 50% heart rate reserve ), or above 160 ( my 80% heart rate reserve ), but it works pretty good for most of the exercise I do. Walking on flats is a bit sketchy, but once I get into hills I am ok. There are better ways to estimate calories walking and running, but it allows me to estimate calories when doing stuff like strength training, circuit training, hiking on uneven trails, and cross-country skiing in different conditions. My 4 mile walk 1 mile run took 1.2 hours, and my HR started at 90-100 on the flats at 6 km/hr, but got up to 120 in hills, and with the 1 mile run I ended up averaging 112. So 1.2 x 62 = 744, so I guess that is higher than I thought. Thanks. I'll re-examine my formula and performance on the treadmill tonight, then work something out that works for me. I like using the heart rate monitor.
    Yeah, I thought it was probably just a typo, but I've seen it so many times in other places that I thought maybe I was missing something.

BTW, you ever had your max HR measured? I'm kind of interested in what mine would be, but never had it measured. I do know that it's way above the average max for my age (174bpm). I actually workout very comfortabally around 150-160 bpm and 170 isn't hurting too much. If I stay at 130 I don't even feel like I'm doing anything, so all them charts of HR/type workout are useless to me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    What does the "k" stand for?

I've seen other people use this in a similar fashion, but the only thing I can think of is "kilo", the metric prefix for 1,000, but it would make those numbers really large, i.e. 800,000; 200,000 and 2,000,000 respectively.
    Food calories, or dietary calories, are actually kilocalories - the energy needed to increase the temperature of 1 kilogram of water by 1 degree centigrade. It is usually written with a capital "C", or as a kcal. So yes, the "k" is a thousand.

Per the government, the recommended daily calories for men is 2500 kcal, women 2000.  Beware of the federal recommendations that men should have 350 gm carbs per day, and women 300, which is 70 tsp sugar and 60 tsp of sugar, respectively. For a person with a non-diabetic blood glucose level, the total amount of sugar dissolved in the body's entire 5 liters of blood is between .8 and .95 tsp sugar, total. The difference between healthy blood sugar levels and diabetic levels in your blood is about a quarter of a teaspoon of sugar.

For weight loss, try 50 grams of carbs per day. If you eat something with 40 grams of carbs, you increase your blood sugar by 8 to 16 times, requiring a big insulin dump by the pancreas, to bring the sugar down, which, in turn stimulates fat storage. I try to stay below 15 grams (3 tsp) carbs per meal or snack. This works very well for weight loss and weight maintenance, as well as maintaining healthy blood sugar levels. (A medium order of McDonald's french fries contains 47 gm carbs, which is almost 10 tsp of sugar. Arggh!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    JAK, you're underestimating your calorie burn for running. While calorie calculators vary somewhat, a good basic rule-of-thumb is (Weight * 0.75) for running and (Weight * 0.53) for walking slowly. So, if you're lugging around 220 pounds with your winter clothes on, you're closer to 165 calories per running mile and 116 calories per walking mile. You might also try to mix it up during the course of your workout, increasing your pace for 30-60 seconds every minute or two. It makes it a bit more interesting, it's not too daunting to consider, and it keeps your heartrate higher than it would otherwise be.
    Interesting article. It is good, but like most such rules of thumbs, even from well done research, they tend to over-generalize a little, in one way or another. When I examined this closely a few year back, researching articles and stuff, I found what they found which was that walking was more efficient, up to a point. However, I also found that neither running nor walking are constant efficiency. Both have a sweet spot, where they are most efficient, and a sort of parabolic curve above and below that. Now withing a certain range a parabola is constant, but over a greater range it is curved, and more significantly, sloped. Below a certain running speed running is less efficient as you run slower. I forget the speed, but it depends on leg length. Above a certain speed running gets less efficient as you run faster. Within a narrow range it is constant, but I recall that at racing speeds, slow runners are much less efficient at their marathon speeds versus their half marathon speeds, whereas elite runners are more efficient at marathon speeds versus half marathon speeds. This has some implications when predicting marathon performance from shorter distances. Also, it partially explains why many folks should adopt a strategy of mixed running and walking, and why some elite runners can vary their pace quite a bit in certain races like a half marathon, but not so much in a 5k or marathon.

The article was interesting in the way it distinguished net calories fom gross calories. I suppose for my purposes I should be interested in net calories burned. I will have to do some testing on the treadmill and do some more number crunching and fudge making and adjust my own personal rule of thumb, based on heart rate. I know because of heart rate drift it is going to overestimate calories for long runs, and very long walks. Or is it? I have often wondered if heart rate drift is partially because the body sometimes has to start repairing itself, and other stuff it might have temporarily shut down. Technically that is still calories burned though right? Anyhow, it only has to be close enough to provide a common ground between different exercises, so I have some sort of daily target. Maybe I should be callinging them jakcals. lol

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I eat whatever I want whenever I see food. That's my diet.

I exercise whenever I can whenever I feel like it, which works out to average 16-17 hours a week. Mostly, that consists of playing basketball 4 times a week, chopping wood and keeping up with 10 acres, hiking a weekend a month or so, and sometimes running with my wife. That's my fitness.

I dont gain or lose weight, never have.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    Food calories, or dietary calories, are actually kilocalories - the energy needed to increase the temperature of 1 kilogram of water by 1 degree centigrade. It is usually written with a capital "C", or as a kcal. So yes, the "k" is a thousand.

Per the government, the recommended daily calories for men is 2500 kcal, women 2000.  
    See there's another one; that would equal 2,500,000 calories. Should be written either as 2500 cals or 2.5 kcals. Unless I'm missing something in your answer. I'm so confused....

Anyone that wants to post their daily fitness activities and weight loss progress can post here.
    All encouragement and discouragement and random weather reports or thread drift is welcome.
    I will be making my first official post tomorrow morning, but here is a sample format...

Day 1 - Thursday
    13 pounds to go for first milestone.
    800 kcal exercise today so far. 200 kcal to go for daily goal.

Walked 1 mile with daughter in 18F. Later walked 3 miles + ran 1 mile to Rockwood Park. Lots of snow and wind coming, followed by some rain. Might get out for a ski with daughter. Find I am less hungry today, perhaps because I am feel better for exercising again. Will be trying a diet fairly low in carbs, like 30/30/40 and 2000 kcal per day or less. Best regards y'all.
    Kwhat.............keep it simple so idiots like me understand
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

BTW, you ever had your max HR measured? I'm kind of interested in what mine would be, but never had it measured. I do know that it's way above the average max for my age (174bpm). I actually workout very comfortabally around 150-160 bpm and 170 isn't hurting too much. If I stay at 130 I don't even feel like I'm doing anything, so all them charts of HR/type workout are useless to me.
    BTW JAK, this is the chart http://mizfitonline.com/2010/07/29/t...ng-guest-post/ I was talking about WRT zones and they're all dependent on your maximum HR. Problem with me is that I know my max HR is much higher than listed on the chart because I can maintain 170 -175 for a good bit of time. All this is pretty important in dertermining calories burned.

Images

See there's another one; that would equal 2,500,000 calories. Should be written either as 2500 cals or 2.5 kcals. Unless I'm missing something in your answer. I'm so confused....
    A calorie is just a measure of energy. The small calorie, or gram calorie, is 4.2 joules of energy. The large calorie (with a capital "C" or kilocal) is 4.2 kilojoules of energy. The male body uses about 2500 kilocalories per day. When we speak of dietary calories, we are speaking of kilocalories. Takes a lot of energy to keep these things running.

Images

hmm I wonder how many calories I burn at 2.25 miles an hour on the AT?

I'm doing 55 miles in 3 days this weekend will be roughly 24 hours of hiking - I guess I burn 350 calories hiking and 50 calories an hour (not hiking) so that's 24x350 + 48 (non hiking hours x 50) - that should be 3 days burning about 11,000 calories? right.

If I eat 3500 calories a day x 3 days, I'll be at about a 500 calorie deficit - I think that I can make this up in beer, wine, and good cheese by mid-week -- I'm not looking to loose weight.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++