WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Try putting 3 nails in the pot as a pot stand. Kind of looks like an upsidedown teepee. If you get the pot above the stove, it should work every time very efficiently.

Wider pots work better with the supercats. Most of the heat will go around the pot if you use a narrow pot like a snowpeak 700ml.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    My pocket rocket has been sitting in my "extra gear" tub for years. I was recently considering using it for an upcoming hike, but after thinking about the past issues regarding fuel, I decided against it. I can't tell you how many 1/4, 1/2, 1/3 full, etc, fuel canisters I have sitting in that same tub. I love that my empty alky fuel bottle is 1/2 oz instead of a 4 oz canister. I also love being able to bring exactly the fuel I need on each trip, instead of having to bring 1 canister that's 1/3 full just so I can use it up, then another full canister, which I ultimately bring half of home. I got tired of carrying fuel I never used or needed in the first place.

Not enough power failures around to use them up?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

My goodness! There are so many cat can stove videos on YouTube showing them boiling water. If some of those guys can do it, so can you. Just make sure the flame "blooms" out the holes before you set your pot down.

Search "super cat stove" on YouTube then sit back and enjoy.

Cheers
    Last edited by Spokes; 02-25-2012 at 12:07.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird04217 View Post
    It seems to me that with that design, putting your pot on would require most of the flames and heat to travel up the side of the pot instead of underneath - losing a lot of it in the process. I think you'd need a pot with a larger radius. I'm not sure about the super cat, as I used soda cans with jets, but mine only took 5 to 10 seconds to prime at most. And the way I had my pot, the flames coming from the jets would hit around a "ring, in the middle of the center and outside" of the bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    Try putting 3 nails in the pot as a pot stand. (In the stove) * Kind of looks like an upsidedown teepee. If you get the pot above the stove, it should work every time very efficiently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumble View Post
    Wider pots work better with the supercats. Most of the heat will go around the pot if you use a narrow pot like a snowpeak 700ml.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    My goodness! There are so many cat can stove videos on YouTube showing them boiling water. If some of those guys can do it, so can you. Just make sure the flame "blooms" out the holes before you set your pot down.

Search "super cat stove" on YouTube then sit back and enjoy.

Cheers
    The wick on the side with a few drops is important - Reduce the water to 1 cup for starters and only use Heet, a wider pot and understand the limitations of not allowing enough air to move under the stove to burn - I solved the problem by jetting the flame directly under the pot and discovered I was "limiting" the air to prevent combustion... As soon as I made more air holes in the wind screen at the bottom and increased the distance between the stove and the pot to 1 1/4 inches the issues were solved. Use a metal tray underneath and exsperiment in the Kitchen with a window open if you have to.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    My pocket rocket has been sitting in my "extra gear" tub for years. I was recently considering using it for an upcoming hike, but after thinking about the past issues regarding fuel, I decided against it. I can't tell you how many 1/4, 1/2, 1/3 full, etc, fuel canisters I have sitting in that same tub. I love that my empty alky fuel bottle is 1/2 oz instead of a 4 oz canister. I also love being able to bring exactly the fuel I need on each trip, instead of having to bring 1 canister that's 1/3 full just so I can use it up, then another full canister, which I ultimately bring half of home. I got tired of carrying fuel I never used or needed in the first place.
    to each, his own. hot coffee in a minute, or ten. The convenience of the rocket is worth the weight to me.

It almost has to be the fuel. Your windscreen as noted is too loose, too high, and has too much ventilation, and your pot is narrower than the ideal for this stove; but all that doesn't add up to NO boil at 40F.

My stove has only a single row of holes (very slightly smaller than a standard paper punch); the windscreen extends only 2 inches up the pot and has only a single roughly 1.5 square inch air port; I hold the pot just off the flame during the initial 30 seconds or so of heatup so as to not waste that fuel. But these are all fine tuning from experience and even without any of those refinements you should be getting a boil.

Quote Originally Posted by jayfin3 View Post
    Hello everyone,I have made a Super CatAttachment 15317with a windscreenAttachment 15315and I have a 700mL pot with a foil cover I madeAttachment 15318and it all goes together like this.Attachment 15316Except I can't cook anything!I put 1 oz of Heat in the Super Cat.I put 2 cups of water in the pot.I light the Super Cat and wait 30 secs, then put the pot on top, then cover it.It's 40 degrees out.First 4 times I tried it, I got a few bubbles, then my fuel ran out after about 8 min.Today I tried it in a slight drizzle, with an aluminum square underneath the Super Cat for insulation from the cold concrete, and my flame lasted for like 30+ minutes, but still did not boil the water.What am I missing here?Also, sorry all the pictures are so small..
    If your in Boston then it's likely not the elevation.some of the tests I have seen bring water to boil at around 9 to 10 min,maybe add 1 1/4 0z.out side of that .....I don't know.good luck.

Are you putting the stove directly on cold concrete? It could be that the heat loss through the bottom of the stove is preventing the alcohol from boiling. Try putting a foil disk under the stove, or some other form of insulation.

Hello everyone! I forgot to respond 2 days ago. I appreciate all the responses, they are very helpful indeed. I think my main problem was that I didn't wait for the fuel to bubble (super-dummy, right?). That, coupled with a tighter wind screen in the same conditions as my initial post, brought me to a boil in about 7 min. WOOH! yay! However, I will be thinking about a wider pot, and wick during the weeks to come as well. Thank you all!

You can make a heat reflector (also anti-table top scorch device) from an aluminum oven pan. Works great. Cut it the same diameter as your cup or pot. Mine rests on the inside lip of my Evernew 1.3 liter pot and the pot lid holds it in place when on the move. Of course, it goes underneath the stove when in use, reflecting heat upwards and preventing fires down below.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spools View Post
    to each, his own. hot coffee in a minute, or ten. The convenience of the rocket is worth the weight to me.
    "to each his own",,, HYOH,,, yadayada,,, exactly! Your "hot coffee in a minute, or ten" is not my experience. As you can imagine, I've preformed many tests w/ my supercat and pocket rocket side by side. The supercat wins most times, although it is a close race each time. The pocket rocket is definately a torch, but so is the supercat, unlike other alky models. My supercat is equiped w/ a kevlar wick on outside bottom, so priming time is nil.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

I have the same stove and boil 2-cups in 7 minutes. What caught my eye in your post is that the flame lasted 30 minutes?? The only way that could possibly happen is if the air supply is badly restricted. I cant tell much from your pictures but I'm guessing you have a problem getting enough air to burn the fuel. Try the stove without the wind screen and see what happens.

http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/pro...blue-mini.html
    I have a stove like this one ( not the exact ) works great. 1oz boils 2 cups in 7mins

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++