WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default What is the lightest breathable rail suite.

I,m thinking of getting the Dri ducks trail pac rain suit at 14 oz. is this the lightest breathable rain suite?

I'm a big fan of Dri Ducks. It might not be the absolute lightest, but it is certainly one of the lightest and is about half the weight of most popular rain jackets/pants (ie marmot precip, etc).

You can get the suit for $15... Pick one up and try it out - nothing to lose!

Images

I didn't know dri ducks made rail suits. Next time i'm hopping a train I'll have to pick some up.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

I have hiked the entire AT over three times and never needed a rail suit. I am not sure what one even is.

Images

i beleive the OP meant to say whale suit(halloweens coming).

Images

must be something a skateboarder would wear but why one for hiking?

My Dri-Duck jacket/pants weighed 10oz for a large (6oz for jacket, 4oz for pants). It was the $15 model. I used it on 2 thru's and was very happy with performance.

I just spent about 20 minutes typing a scientific thesis on why there's no such thing as an appreciably waterproof/breathable membrane or coating in existence. I've tried them all and should feel justified in defending my hundreds of dollors in purchases. I don't! I feel as if I should know better. I don't even feel as though I've been duped. I just "hope against hope" that the Miracle Fabric (cue angels singing) has arrived - and am disappointed again and again.

Driducks aren't appreciably breathable. They are light and waterproof, and the fabric is polypropylene, which, basically, absorbs no water, it's lined with a sort of fuzzy polypro texture which hides (or isolates) the moisture from your bare skin (but your clothing will get quite damp). The fabric is a bit stiff, which keeps more of it from touching your body than a coated nylon wp/b fabric, and the fit is loose which helps with ventilation (which is the best way to remove moisture from the inside of a waterproof garment). It's a bit fragile, but don't use it for a groundsheet or go running through the briars with it and you should be fine.
    Don't waste your money on high priced, over hyped, tested in conditions favorable to marketable results, so-called "Waterproof/Breathable" fabrics. They are generally heavy, will leak once contaminated with body oils and sweat salt, and are difficult to re-treat to restore water repellency, and are never "Good as new" once retreated.

Btw: I either "timed out" on my original, superior post, or lost it when Cinderella's coach turned back to a pumpkin at midnight.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

OPPS, I meant to type rain suite. Thanks for the info.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    OPPS, I meant to type rain suite. Thanks for the info.
    yu nede spel chek, can you find this rain suite in a hotel?

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

I wonder if the two guys attempting to break the AT and CDT speed records have a rail suit or rain suite?

Actually, there's a new VERY light weight rain suit. Breathable cuben. Not many can afford it, though.
    http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Journal Entries

as i said on a recent post.... dryducks... they are cheap, they are good... you can't go wrong... 15.00 bucks. best gear i have!

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    Actually, there's a new VERY light weight rain suit. Breathable cuben. Not many can afford it, though.
    http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml
    Very cool and not much more expensive than some of the other breathable stuff. It is 1.5 ounces lighter than a Driducks top and about $215 more expensive.

ok I have to admit lolol I opened this thread just to see what a "rail suite" was lolol :-p

Yeah, anyway, I thought those DryDucks where not breathable.

So are they "the lightest breathable rain suite?"

No, they are not.

It is believed by most that right now the lightest 3-layer material breathable rain jacket that presently exists is the ZPacks Waterproof Breathable Rain Jacket at 127 grams (4.47 ounces)

You can view my own initial review of that jacket at: http://hikelighter.com/2012/01/15/zp...r-rain-jacket/

But I just want to make it clear that it is an initial review. As you can see from the included video it was a review from coming right out of the box and my initial thoughts on the jacket.

Since I did that initial review I have around 50 miles while using the jacket. I have slept in it, I have hiked in it, I have had it on while walking around town, I have had it in rain, hale, sleet and snow. I have used it as a wind jacket in very windy cold rain and windy hale.

Obviously it is one of those pieces of gear that is designed and targeted for those who are after the lightest of the lightest of gear and thus you pay for it. You can spend half that price and get something that is around twice as heavy, but still very light comparably speaking.

I bought a DriDucks rain suit about 4 years ago and wore it hiking until it was a checkerboard of duct tape from all of the snags and rips it accumulated. The zipper took a s*** about a year ago, but in spite of all this, I still have it hanging in the garage for outdoor chores in the rain and for snow shovelling.

It was worth every penny I paid for it, and I'm just about to get another one. It has worked far better at keeping the rain out than an expensive, top-rated "breathable" piece of crap I bought 7 years ago. It's nothing but a glorified windbreaker.

As others have said I have not run into any rain suit that is truly breathable.

I would suggest looking into the Packa. It is lightweight @ 13oz considering it doubles as your rain jacket & pack cover, it is very versitle for varying ventilation needs with pit zips that actually work since they are not pinned down by your pack straps or can be worn like a cape if you dont zip it up and just drape it over you. I have used mine for several hundred miles in on the AT and many sections of the FT with varying weather conditions and really can't say enough good things about it.

++ New Posts ++