Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Will a 30 degree bag be sufficient .

Im sleeping in a tent, ill be wearing my base layers and wool socks to sleep with a wool cap. and the bag has a draft collar and a fleece lined hood. so what do you think?

I have 30 degree bag and I get a little cold during cold nights. I'm planning on buying a silk liner just in case.

Default Will a 30 degree bag be sufficient .

I think you will have some cold nights.

Garlic
    Images

Assuming you're talking about a NOBO hike starting around the ADZPCTKO, you could have some 20 degree nights in the Sierra in June, a little blowing snow. If you can handle 20 degrees with your set up, you should be fine. I've tried supplementing my bag with clothing and it doesn't work well with my clothing and my bag. I end up getting colder from constriction and compression of loft. Others can do it fine.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I was comfy in a 25F bag (some nights were chilly and I wore a balaclava). Just pick your camping spots wisely - My coldest night was at a low "hole" north of Tuolumne. It was probably 10F warmer just a few hundred yards up the trail and 100feet vertical.

I assume it's a high quality 30F bag (i.e.: Western Mountaineering), and not some ambitiously rated bag?

Impossible to say for sure, and as frisbeefreek said it depends in part on how close your 30F bag is to an honest 30F. Also depends on how warm/cold you sleep, what time of year you start, how cold a year you get, what specific clothing you're augmenting it with. But based on what you did say, I'm with lush242000, guessing that you'll have some cold nights.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

its probably ambitiously rated, i might switch for a better bag, but i have a fleece liner as well for inside, and some under armor coldgear for bed. also i sleep warm, i usually have to sleep with the air conditioning and fan on and rarely cover up with a blanket. but yoi guys generally agree that it will be sufficient, but ill be a little cold a couple nights. i also have an emergency mylar blanket..

I have a Western Mountaineering 30degree bag, and at 30 I was toasty with silkweight Capilene , at 50 I can barely stand it, but I'm like a furnace

V/r HT1

Quote Originally Posted by HT1 View Post
    I have a Western Mountaineering 30degree bag, and at 30 I was toasty with silkweight Capilene , at 50 I can barely stand it, but I'm like a furnace.
    ...I'm going with a 15 degree bag because I sleep like the icey pile of wood next to the garage that fuels your furnace

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I used a 30-degree bag (with a bivy sack and a silk liner) for the whole PCT. I had a few coldish nights in the Sierras, but nothing awful. Like the above poster said, site selection matters. Sleep under trees if it's going to be cold, and avoid low spots.

++ New Posts ++