WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: L l bean boots

Default L l bean boots

I was looking at a few pair of boots from LL BEAN , like the goretex mountain tread or the cresta hikers ?
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

Use to have a pair off the "Maine Hunting Shoe" but couldn't wear them.The area where the leather met the rubber use to cut into my ankle...nice boot though.

Sorry... I hate this phone !!! Anyway,, does anyone know anything about them? Got to have a very tough long lasting REAL boot. Thank you all and hello to all my friends and soon to be friends.
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

If you don't like what you select from LL Bean, you can always return it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Use to have a pair off the "Maine Hunting Shoe" but couldn't wear them.The area where the leather met the rubber use to cut into my ankle...nice boot though.
    yes thats what i did.

Images

My friend had a pair of llbean boots. She said they were comfy and good on the trail. Her trail name is Flipper, because on one of the section hikes we did, the bottom of the boot came off and was hanging on at the heal. Thank goodness for duct tape! Granted, her boots were about 10 years old, but I have had boots for that long and longer that were worn smoothe without any manufacturing issues. LLbean did live up to their policy and sent her a check for the boots which she cashed in for a pair at REI. So I came away with 2 bits of knowledge...LLbean is a good company to trust, and don't buy their boots.

Images

Had a pair of Bean's "Trail Model Hikers" (low cut) that were very good. Wore them out. Only complaint was that they didsn't dry out as fast as I'd like. Currently have a pair of Vasque Breeze's that are okay, but honestly, the soles of the Bean's had better grip on rocks which is really important IMO. When these Vasques wear out I'll probably go back to Bean and see what's available.

Images

My "go to" boot is the Cresta. Very comfortable for me, good fit, little to no "break in" required. and as mentioned, if you don't like them, they will take them back.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

Images

Default Cresta Family

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    My "go to" boot is the Cresta. Very comfortable for me, good fit, little to no "break in" required. and as mentioned, if you don't like them, they will take them back.
    I have nothing but good to say about the Cresta Hiker boot from Bean's. They are a sweet boot. As stated above, little to no break in (you will probably have a bit of a hotspot, mine is around the tongue) and if you have a hotspot, just a short time of duct tape until the boot gets a bit more flexible and your foot toughens a bit. Both my wife and I think they are great. I did a thru and I went through 1 and 1/2 pairs. Changed mine out at the Bear Mountain Bridge (actually West point). My hiking partner got her new boots at Delaware Water Gap. We continue to buy them and right after I bought my latest new ones I scored an almost new pair from Goodwill so I am set for long time. We do corridor monitoring on the AT here in Maine so they get a good workout. Good luck with your choice.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Many folks who have owned Gore-Tex boots (I owned 2 pair over the years) agree that when it's not raining, they're too darned hot and make your feet sweat, sometimes causing blisters. They'll keep your feet dry for maybe a day, two if you wear head to toe raingear and don't step in deep water, but once they're damp inside it takes forever to dry them because they aren't as breathable as non Gore-Tex and the dry air doesn't flow through them as readily.
    Fine for cool, short hikes, not so fine for long hot sections or a complete thruhike.

If you can't get to LL Bean, you'll never know how they fit. Other folks can't tell you what will or what will not feel good on your feet.
    Order the boots if they look good to you, wear them around a mall for a day, and return them if they don't fit like a glove.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

The Cresta is a wonderful heavy-duty boot, you won't be disappointed. The Mtn treads are also great boots, especially if you don't need as much support. I wear the mtn treads mid-height daily (i have for about 9 years now) and the crestas when I'm hiking.
    As I get older, I need more support especially when I'm hiking. People may say the cresta is overkill on the trail, but if you need support, or are doing alot of hiking over rocks, the crestas are for you. Otherwise, I think you'll find the mtn treads a great mid-duty boot.
    Greg P.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm not a big LL Bean fan. That said I do wear a pair of there boots. See them as being similar to my Merrills, only they were less expensive. They are some type of goretex model.

Images

I have owned 2 pairs of Crestas. Winter, summer whatever they are a great boot right out of the box. However, for long distance I much prefer trail runners to boots.
    skinny d

++ New Posts ++