WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tarptent Moment

Default Tarptent Moment

I have zero experience with single walled tarps/tents. Has anyone used the Tarptent Moment? Is condensation a problem? Setup looks really easy. I've read mixed reviews. Does it all depend on the pitch and ventilation? Is condensation a problem or concern with all single walled tarps/tents?

Garlic
    Images

I have the Contrail and you'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. The Moment is an easier pitch. Condensation will always be a problem if the dewpoint is reached inside the tent. You can reduce condensation by ventilation and site selection. My favorite method is to camp on breezy ridges rather than down near water where there's always dew in the morning. If you camp in dew, all the ventilation in the world will not keep you dry. Sometimes there's even a difference whether you're under a tree or not.

There's a learning curve with any single-wall tent, and some frustration with condensation for everyone. I use a cotton bandanna to wipe off condensation. Sometimes I even take a morning sponge bath with it. For me the tradeoff is worth it in pack weight, but not everyone feels that way. Also, silnylon absorbs very little water so the wet packed weight is less than other fabrics. And it drys in minutes in sun, sometimes even while your holding it out in the wind. That's harder to do with a two-wall tent and fly. There are pros and cons to both.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I have used Tarptents and love them. There are two issues you must be concerned with. You must be picky about where you set up regarding wind and drainage. A tarptent is not as forgiving as a tent. Also it wont be as storm proof as a tent. I tend now to use an MSR Hubba because I'm lazy and just want to plunk down where ever seems OK. But a tarptent is a better lighter choice and on say, the PCT where it rarely rains, it's great choice. On the AT it's a good choice too but you just after to be more focused and precise. i also think tarptents don't take punishment very well. I think the venting issue is overblown. You want to be careful of things like setting up on a humid night next to a lake. I always left the door open and that was plenty of venting. I did keep a camp towel to wipe it down when it had condensation but it just wasn't that big of a deal.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Get the Moment "liner", and it becomes a 2-wall, making condensation a non-issue. I love my Moment... and my new Notch!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Yes, condensation is a real problem. You can mitigate it with whats some are saying above, but still, its a problem, especially in a tent so small inside.

Images

I have a Moment. I've not found condensation to be better or worse than any other single wall tent - that is, sure, you can get condensation inside under the proper conditions, but for me it's not a big deal. I just wipe it up in the morning with a small pack towel. The Moment is fast and easy to set up, handles very high wind loads (when properly guyed out), and has plenty of room for a tall hiker and all his gear. I like having the door on the long side and the highest part in the middle, so I can sit up to cook, change, pack, etc.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Here are the three things that people fairly new to backpacking worry about more than they should:

1) Bears

2) Did I mention bears?

3) Tarp or tent condensation

I've used a Tarptent exclusively for six years now (the Virga II, no longer made, similar to the Contrail) and, yes, some nights I get some condensation. When I do, the first thing I do in the morning is reach up with my microfiber towel (2 ounces) and wipe off the condensation -- not on the whole inside of the tent, just where my head or shoulders are likely to rub against the silnylon. Minor problem solved. I think Tarptents are quality products and really like mine.

my tarpent was huge and light great tent

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Here are the three things that people fairly new to backpacking worry about more than they should:

1) Bears

2) Did I mention bears?

That's awesome!

I had condensation in my Moment once. It was a dead calm night, the temperature dropped to 33, I was in a canyon next to a river, and I pitched it on wet ground. And neither I or my sleeping bag got wet. Cutting a ground cloth to extend into the vestibules solves a lot of that problem, as I found out the next night.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

"Cutting a ground cloth to extend into the vestibules solves a lot of that problem, as I found out the next night.'
    And the same for other tents of similar design (Akto/Vela/Scarp...)

but just for fun, this is a comment posted yesterday at another forum :

Condensation wise, Both tents had massive amounts of condensation under the fly over the weekend with all vents open
    (one was a Hubba and the other a similar design by Exped)
    Just pointintg out that condensation happens...
    Franco

Condensation occurs on ALL tents in most conditions. Ventilation will minimise condensation, but will not stop it.

The real question is: Where do you want your condensation? That's the difference between single and double wall tents, not the amount of condensation, but it's location. If you want a barrier between you and the condensation, then you have to carry that barrier on your back, if you don't carry that barrier, then your pack will be lighter but you will be more exposed to condensation.

I find if I don't camp out in the open it's usually fine, even using single wall tents. But I don't expect miracles, I expect some moisture, and I agree that covering the ground in the vestibules helps a lot. This is also why tents with awnings tend to collect far less condensation than those with vestibules, especially those with dual awnings. It's a shame we are back in the vestibule game again, I prefer large awnings with crossflow.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post

1) Bears

2) Did I mention bears?

I've used a Tarptent exclusively for six years now (the Virga II, no longer made, similar to the Contrail) and, yes, some nights I get some condensation. When I do, the first thing I do in the morning is reach up with my microfiber towel (2 ounces) and wipe off the condensation -- not on the whole inside of the tent, just where my head or shoulders are likely to rub against the silnylon. Minor problem solved. I think Tarptents are quality products and really like mine.
    I was thinking the same thing. Its like on a job application. whats your weekness, I care too much. what is a weekness of a tarp tent? up condensation just like on the fly of a two walled ternt. I use a down sleeping bag. i gave been in my TT DR a few times now during major storms. Yes there was condensation but never enough to get my bag wet or drip on me. Its kind of like a cold mirror after a hot shower.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

++ New Posts ++